Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Aeon 2 (Kodi Matrix/Leia/Krypton)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Hi djh_,

Firstly i'd like to thankyou for your original work in Aeon, i myself am responsible for a version of aeon, titled aeon madnox. Mine is more gfx heavy but some peopke like it. So thanks for what you originally did.

Hopefully you'll continue with the latest version as it would be very interesting to see what you would do today, but understandalbe as well if what has happened changes your mind.

The open source side of things is taken to far sometimes, generally when you add something new it'll be ripped and most of the time without asking permission, a few of us still ask and if no permission then we don't take the code, but only a few of us.

It always goid to see another new skin emerge but soneone who knows what they are doing.
Great! Well done!
Hey djh_ imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and you have said that mods will be fine with you. So please don't let that put you off!

Anyway, I have a question - what wil happen if one doesn't have artwork in the movie folder? I have a regular setup without added fanart etc, I rely on scraping. Will your new skin work without artwork, and fall back to the library database?
I also hope that it doesn't deter you from sharing more previews. Perhaps a notice in the original post asking folks not to mod it until release at least?

By the way, just curious, which skin are you currently using in kodi? (prior to aeon 2017 I mean)
(2017-01-07, 02:22)djh_ Wrote: [ -> ]PlayStation Store is one that comes to mind.

I actually had a go at skinning that myself years ago. Wink

[WIP] Store (unfinished)

It worked very nicely as does the new Fire TV UI (which I'm currently struggling to emulate).
(2017-01-05, 22:02)djh_ Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for all the interest and feedback. Please don't be offended, though, when I say that I'll be ignoring pretty much all feature requests. That stuff's best left to modders once the thing is actually out. Pandering to a community wishlist would only make the skin more generic, and there are plenty of all-singing, all-dancing alternatives out there. What I'm trying to do with this is make an alternative to the usual kitchen sink style of UI - a very streamlined and personal set of features which, as I said earlier, won't be for everyone.

The list view is indeed the only one for movies. I find it the most comfortable and intuitive way to browse, and it means Aeon can exclusively display 1080p posters and keyart 1:1 at all times. I'm actually so keen to avoid Kodi's image resizing algorithms that I'm probably going to bin the album cover art from the home page, as there doesn't seem to be any way to improve the horrendous scaling quality.

Aeon's going to be very simple in terms of metadata, with the important caveat that it's a skin for ppl who are very pedantic and hands-on when it comes to which art they're using. No banners, then, no clear art, and no 16:9 fanart beyond whatever folders you assign to the home page. It will happily fall back to regular posters for movies and regular fanart for TV shows, but prefers a system of having each movie in its own folder, with 'posters' and 'keyart' subfolders. This will no doubt piss off people who expect the skin to obey whatever consensus system they happen to be using, but them's the breaks. I greatly prefer using multiimages and folders because it's such a simple process: you drop an image in, it shows up; drop ten images in, they show up; take an image out, it goes away.

Only thing to add for now is that the backend side of Aeon will not be as minimalistic as the frontend. If the frontend is a case of form over function then the opposite is true of the settings 'area', which'll be a bit busier in terms of buttons, panels, etc. It'll feel like quite a different environment and will probably take a lot of time and planning.
Sorry for the lack of knowledge but the keyart where is that collected from? I see the avator keyart looks great, and is more eyecatching. Is this handled by the skin or some thirdparty addon?

nvm, im stupid, it was explained on page 6. Sorry about that Smile

But for plot/synopsis how is that handled with a list view?
(2016-12-28, 15:29)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-26, 13:24)titidel Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah !!! It's your Aeon skin that made me switch from Meedio to XBMC! Welcome back...

Just to show how ground breaking Aeon was, this Aeon Mod is now MeediOS's default theme I believe Wink

Is that Aeon mod avail currently for Kodi? Where can I find it?
(2017-01-08, 09:43)Vlaves Wrote: [ -> ]Is that Aeon mod avail currently for Kodi? Where can I find it?

Nope its meedios only, it is of course open source if anyone fancied porting it.
The community has grown so big now days especially with all the illegal addon attention you get less passionate kodi users and more feature demanding impatient and disrespectful users with kodi also being easily installed on any device now days there is much more novice forum users who don't understand how much work goes into things.

The community has headed towards more of youtube like community than a say raspberry pi helpfully community.
Arcanthur had a little closed community of helpful beta testers for his skin Fusion.
I wonder if a closed wip thread where you show ideas and previews would be better you would get creative criticism, helpful feedback.
Then keep limited previews in the open thread or just disappear until beta testing and get help from skinning part of this forum they stay out of there a bit more anyway DJH cheers for coming back.
I like the idea of setting up a small invite-only subforum for this. It'd be a good place to ask questions/seek solutions without risking a repeat of what happened earlier. Is that something the mods would need to sort out?
I think we did this for Alaska but can't remember if it was invite only, I'll ask.
Whoa, hang on a minute!

I know this place is a bit of a shocker sometimes, but I don't think creating a two-tier system where some skinners can control who says what is the right way to go.
(2017-01-09, 17:38)thedeadman Wrote: [ -> ]Whoa, hang on a minute!

I know this place is a bit of a shocker sometimes, but I don't think creating a two-tier system where some skinners can control who says what is the right way to go.

Its been used effectively in the past by other skins, so shouldn't be a problem.
It's been used effectively by me about eight years ago, not to mention Blackbolt and the guys behind MediaStream. Not sure where 'control' comes into it.
Atleast you get feedback... Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39