Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OS X version of Beta 7 crashes at startup almost every time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ever since I installed Beta 7 on my system running OS X 10.11.6 I have found that it crashes nearly every time I attempt to start it. I've had to restart it as many as 10 times.

I set it up to generate a debug log but after looking through it there is no way I want to post it publicly on a pasetbin site. However, in case it helps any, I can tell you that it crashes at different times during the startup process, usually while loading channels from the backends (there are two PVR backends running TVHeadEnd), but about four or five lines before the end of the debug log this line always appears:

15:22:09.177 T:123145307209728 ERROR: Create - fatal error creating thread- old thread id not null

Keep in mind that once in a while it does start up and run, but when it doesn't that line appears somewhere, usually while it's trying to load channels from the backends. When it doesn't crash, it works great, and all channels from both backends appear in the channel list. Both backends are running TVHeadend so I had to use the process that's been published on a few sites for duplicating and renaming the Tvheadend HTSP Client addon. This has always worked in previous versions; I won't say it never crashed at startup, but the crashes were a lot rarer.

When I say "crash" I mean that Kodi closes and exits. I also see a different issue occasionally where Kodi freezes and has to be force quit, but that is rarer and I don't think it's the same problem.

I know some of the developers have the attitude that they won't lift a finger to help without a full debug log and I don't mind emailing one to an individual developer, but for reasons that would take too long to explain I do not want it to be viewable by anyone other than the developers (even if you see one you'll probably wonder why, but I have my reasons). If that's not possible then maybe this bug will never get fixed, or maybe someone else will post one publicly, but I won't. I just wanted to let you know about this issue, in case you care. I will let you know that I am not running any addons that do not come from the official Kodi repository, in fact I am running very few addons at all since this is not my primary system for watching TV. I do use the Confluence skin since I didn't care as much for the new one, if that makes any difference.

Anyway, I'm off to reinstall Beta 6 from Time Machine.
Post the crash reporter for a start please. Also does it work if you only use onepvr addon at a time instead?
(2016-12-29, 00:31)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Post the crash reporter for a start please. Also does it work if you only use onepvr addon at a time instead?

Well I was going to download the new RC version and try it but I keep getting an Error 522 - Connection timed out message from Cloudflare.

It's been a while since I've tried only one PVR addon but the last time I did I had no problems. If I can ever get the RC version I'll let you know what the situation is now.
Well whatever the problem was, it appears to have been fixed in RC2. Thanks!
Annnd it's back in RC4. I have dropped back to RC3 and will just use that for now. RC3 is the most stable version I have seen on my OS X machine in a very long time, have never seen it crash even once! So sad to see this problem back in RC4.
Need the crashreporter log from rc4
And the problem seems to be fixed again in the final release. No idea why it affected some betas and not others, but glad it is gone in the final!

I normally don't try betas or release candidates but Jarvis was such a bad version for me that I started with the early betas of Krypton. Now that I finally have a version of Kodi that seems reliable and relatively bug free on this system, and that (at least so far) doesn't seem to want to crash at startup more often than it starts, I will probably just stick with it.