Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Logitech Harmony Ultimate One & Kodibuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I am trying to control Kodi with my Logitech Harmony Ultimate One remote. I have kodibuntu installed on my Intel Nuc (D34010WYK), and am using the built-in IR receiver. When I set up the activity to watch a movie, I am able to turn on the Intel Nuc which boots into Kodi, however I can not control Kodi or shut off the Intel Nuc. I originally had the activity set to just turn on the Intel Nuc, but from there added various devices to the activity including openelec KODI, Windows Media Center, Microsoft Xbox Media Center, but nothing will control the Kodi, just turn it on.

Does anyone know how to program the Ultimate One remote to control Kodi and turn off the device?

Thanks for your help!
I've got it working well using the Bluetooth in my NUC5PPY with a Harmony Ultimate. It's been awhile, but I believe I added the Microsoft Kodi device (Manufacturer: Microsoft, Model: Kodi). That gives you all of the keyboard commands. You could try the MCE Keyboard device as well. Then I used the keymapper addon to map them to usable buttons on my Harmony. This took some trial and error to figure out buttons I could use (not all commands in the Harmony device work with Kodi.) I don't power my NUC on or off, so I opted for BT over IR. If I remember right, you may need two devices setup in the Harmony activity. One that will just power on the NUC, and the other which has all of the keyboard commands.

This thread will probably help a lot. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220677
(2016-12-30, 17:27)Tortuga Wrote: [ -> ]I've got it working well using the Bluetooth in my NUC5PPY with a Harmony Ultimate. It's been awhile, but I believe I added the Microsoft Kodi device (Manufacturer: Microsoft, Model: Kodi). That gives you all of the keyboard commands. You could try the MCE Keyboard device as well. Then I used the keymapper addon to map them to usable buttons on my Harmony. This took some trial and error to figure out buttons I could use (not all commands in the Harmony device work with Kodi.) I don't power my NUC on or off, so I opted for BT over IR. If I remember right, you may need two devices setup in the Harmony activity. One that will just power on the NUC, and the other which has all of the keyboard commands.

This thread will probably help a lot. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220677

My remote does not support bluetooth unfortunately. Do you know if a flirc will work?
(2016-12-30, 17:48)maple603 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-30, 17:27)Tortuga Wrote: [ -> ]I've got it working well using the Bluetooth in my NUC5PPY with a Harmony Ultimate. It's been awhile, but I believe I added the Microsoft Kodi device (Manufacturer: Microsoft, Model: Kodi). That gives you all of the keyboard commands. You could try the MCE Keyboard device as well. Then I used the keymapper addon to map them to usable buttons on my Harmony. This took some trial and error to figure out buttons I could use (not all commands in the Harmony device work with Kodi.) I don't power my NUC on or off, so I opted for BT over IR. If I remember right, you may need two devices setup in the Harmony activity. One that will just power on the NUC, and the other which has all of the keyboard commands.

My remote does not support bluetooth unfortunately. Do you know if a flirc will work?
You shouldn't need flirc if the NUC has built-in IR. I believe flirc is just a USB IR dongle with custom driver and programming interface. Add the right devices into Harmony (Microsoft Kodi, and/or Microsoft MCE Keyboard) and then use the keymapper add-on to program the buttons to corresponding Kodi commands.
(2016-12-30, 18:55)Tortuga Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-12-30, 17:48)maple603 Wrote: [ -> ]

You shouldn't need flirc if the NUC has built-in IR. I believe flirc is just a USB IR dongle with custom driver and programming interface. Add the right devices into Harmony (Microsoft Kodi, and/or Microsoft MCE Keyboard) and then use the keymapper add-on to program the buttons to corresponding Kodi commands.

I think the flirc works out of the box by selecting Flirc --> Kodi in the my harmony desktop app. I couldn't use Microsoft Kodi because it said my remote needed to be bluetooth. When I used Microsoft MCE Keyboard I had the same problem of being able to turn it on but not control it. Under buttons I had the up/down/left/right arrows set to directionup, etc. Do I need an additional desktop app to program the buttons?
Set the harmony to a mce remote.
(2016-12-30, 21:42)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Set the harmony to a mce remote.

When I add MCE as a device it only turns on the nuc but I can't control it.
Have you tried the keymapper add-on within Kodi? I'm not sure of the official name, but it's in the Kodi repo. You can use it to press a key on your remote, then assign that key to a Kodi command. The trick is knowing which of the MCE Keyboard (or whatever device you pick) commands will be recognized. Usually the directional keys are recognized right away, but you may have to go through the commands until you find working ones.

I know this is complicated to setup - assigning commands in two different places - but once you get it setup, you may only have to make minor tweaks going forward. I haven't looked at my remote config in almost a year. You'll get it!
(2016-12-30, 23:11)Tortuga Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried the keymapper add-on within Kodi? I'm not sure of the official name, but it's in the Kodi repo. You can use it to press a key on your remote, then assign that key to a Kodi command. The trick is knowing which of the MCE Keyboard (or whatever device you pick) commands will be recognized. Usually the directional keys are recognized right away, but you may have to go through the commands until you find working ones.

I know this is complicated to setup - assigning commands in two different places - but once you get it setup, you may only have to make minor tweaks going forward. I haven't looked at my remote config in almost a year. You'll get it!

When I set it to the MCE Keyboard I can only turn it on, I can't do basic direction keypad. I downloaded the add-on and used yatse to navigate Kodi but the add-on still didn't work.
Awfully difficult to diagnose without a debug log.
(2017-01-01, 09:51)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Awfully difficult to diagnose without a debug log.

How do i share that?
Read the wiki here debug log (wiki)