Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Feature Request] Stream from Bluetooth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It would be very helpful to have Kodi be a receiver for Phones (e.g. during a party), which means:
- receive and play audio via Bluetooth
- receive and display ID3 tags (or assimilated)
- receive and obey volume up/down commands
- receive and obey media commands (play/pause/next/etc.)

... although I guess the latter is already done via HID.
All can be done via airtunes (iphone/ipad needed) or upnp i think
I have no iPhone and I don't want my friends to have to install something. Just pair their phone, use whatever application they like to steam music and Kofi plays.
via UPNP or AirTunes they don't have to install anything on their phones. Most sane Android phones should come with a UPNP capable music player. Via bluetooth you have the issue that only ONE can connect and control your device, while via UPNP many can connect and control.

But bluetooth audio pairing is actually more a job for the OS AFAIK
Bluetooth is the only way to have all applications (Media player, Spotify, Deezer, etc.) work flawlessly.
Can be done easily with pulseaudio on Linux. Kodi doesn't even need to run.
osmc has few bluetooth implementations. it's just in development state.
Since it's an evergreen feature request, and it is very well formulated, I'll necrobump, because I think it's pretty important. It's probably different for specific groups of people, but when I have people over and we're listening to music, quite often they want to put on a song they have. And that music is always on their phone. It often could be from YouTube, but TubeCast is still a bit buggy, and teaching everyone to use my PlayOnKodi Chrome addon is kind of tedious. Installing Yatse and having them configure the connection to Kodi and playing stuff via the app is also not an option. So, yeah, receiving bluetooth audio is the best option, and I believe a multimedia box should have that ability. Now, I'm not sure how technically difficult it is, but there can at least be a plugin to tries to manage that. I tried configuring that functionality in linux via some very hacky a2dp sync receiver script with autoaccept magic, but that turned out to conflict with the kodi install, because kodi runs it's own pulseaudio instance or something like that. 
So, since there seems to not be much interest towards that feature from the dev team (I've seen it requested in several places over time) - I call for anyone with some knowledge on the topic or the Kodi architecture to just give some advice as to how this feature can be added and I will try to start a project for the addon or pull request. ATM I don't know if the configuration should be done via editing of the bluetooth conf files (seems hacky at first glance) and how to handle the pulseaudio conflict problem.
(2017-01-04, 13:29)bestouff Wrote: [ -> ]It would be very helpful to have Kodi be a receiver for Phones (e.g. during a party), which means:
- receive and play audio via Bluetooth
- receive and display ID3 tags (or assimilated)
- receive and obey volume up/down commands
- receive and obey media commands (play/pause/next/etc.)

... although I guess the latter is already done via HID.
The ability to receive and play audio via bluetooth would be useful.
there is an add-on for LibreELEC which works just fine on my PI. But I'm not sure if it could be turned into a generic linux/pulseaudio add-on. @petko10 - you might want to have a look at this add-on - maybe you can adapt it to your setup.

https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.t...ooth-audio