Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: video stutters / drops frames on Sony Bravia 4K (Android TV)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I started with Kodi 16 on my Sony Android TV early last year but had problems with the VDR plugin (failed to load the channels using VNSI). So I upgraded to Kodi 17 beta / now RC as soon as it was available in the beta chanel of Google Play.

The new Release is way better in the UI performance and also the VDR plugin works very well. But the video performance - which was OK after some changes in the settings of Kodi 16 - is unusable. I tried various settings for video and audio but the results are always bad. Depending on the resolution and source of the video, it variees from "some frames dropped" to "one image per second". My use cases are DVD playback from CIFS/SMBFS or various recorded or live TV from VDR (SD and HD from satelite). All transmitted via cable network.

Are there some recommended settings to get a smooth video performance?

FYI: I used the same Android App on different smartphones and tablets in the same network and Libreelec stable (Kodi 16) and beta (Kodi 17) on Raspberries - none of them has a problem. Only the Android TV...

Thanks!
Tanati
Hi,

I managed to mostly solve this.

I removed all config and cache data stored by Kodi using the App management of Android TV. Kodi (one of the RCs at that point in time) then had an empty configuration so I configured VDR/VNSI and other sources from scratch.

Based on the defaults most videos and TV channels that I tested are fine. A problem still occured with interlaced video sources, typically low quality SD TV channels. I had to disable the "deinterlacing" in the video settings during playback. As I didn't notice any impacts on the quality I made this a global default. Based on this settings basic VDR/VNSI playback works fine.

Minor issues:
- switching the channel often results in stutering again, stop/start of playback resolves this
- after some usage / Kodi App updates the VDR VNSI backend wasn't able to initialize. Deletion of the cached channel information in the PVR backend settings solved it.

Thanks for the good work!

Tanati