Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

Just wanted to check, as I am thinking of purchasing the NVidia shield. I have seen lots of reference to hdmi 2.2 and 1.4, but my set up will be through an older Denon amp which will be hdmi 1.3 and I think my tv is probably 1.3 as well, obviously only 1080p, but I presume I am not going to have any issues with refresh rate changes in Kodi?
(2017-01-20, 14:50)Pi 4 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-18, 20:23)thesuffering Wrote: [ -> ]1. Yes, there are 2 USB 3.0 inputs. These will have to be used as external storage only and not adopted storage.

I was under the impression that you could use one USB port for external storage and the other to expand the internal ( adopted ) 16g storage.

Can I not connect my two 4TB hard drives (filled with .MP4 and .ISO movies) to one of the USB ports using a USB Hub, and connect a USB flash drive to the other USB port to expand the internal memory ?

That is not correct, im using USB has adoptable storage.
(2017-01-20, 15:04)pabloh20 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

Just wanted to check, as I am thinking of purchasing the NVidia shield. I have seen lots of reference to hdmi 2.2 and 1.4, but my set up will be through an older Denon amp which will be hdmi 1.3 and I think my tv is probably 1.3 as well, obviously only 1080p, but I presume I am not going to have any issues with refresh rate changes in Kodi?

You should be fine. I have a HDMI 1.4 TV, a 1.3 receiver, fed by the Shield TV with no refreshrate switching issues.
(2017-01-20, 15:48)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-20, 14:50)Pi 4 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-18, 20:23)thesuffering Wrote: [ -> ]1. Yes, there are 2 USB 3.0 inputs. These will have to be used as external storage only and not adopted storage.

I was under the impression that you could use one USB port for external storage and the other to expand the internal ( adopted ) 16g storage.

Can I not connect my two 4TB hard drives (filled with .MP4 and .ISO movies) to one of the USB ports using a USB Hub, and connect a USB flash drive to the other USB port to expand the internal memory ?

That is not correct, im using USB has adoptable storage.

Thank you Couto27, I had thought you could use the USB ports for either external or internal.

Can I then assume that my proposed setup of two Hard Drives via a USB Hub along with a USB flash drive to the other USB port would then work correctly ?

I understand the two Hard Drives are good as is (NTFS) though the Flash Drive will have to be formatted to work with the Shield. Is this also correct ?
(2017-01-20, 16:18)Jdiesel Wrote: [ -> ]

You should be fine. I have a HDMI 1.4 TV, a 1.3 receiver, fed by the Shield TV with no refreshrate switching issues.
Excellent. Thanks very much for the reply, appreciate it.
(2017-01-20, 16:18)Jdiesel Wrote: [ -> ]

Not 100% sure on this myself. I have a Pannasonic Plasma and I'm cuurently setting up my new Shield directly attached to my TV. Refresh rate is set at 1080p 59.94 (as recommended) and colorspace is set RGB Limited and I have the SPMC settings as Recommended video settings for SPMC and NVIDIA Shield TV with 1080p GUI.

I get some stuttering when playing my Blu-rays that I ripped to MKV (so 1080p 23.976). Unit is hardwired so it's not a connection issue for sure. Sometimes a movie will start fine, other times it won't. It is like its playing in slow motion with some pixelation. Now if I hit FF once in SPMC it solves the problem and plays fine. If I switched to a different movie, it may or may not do the same thing and again I can click FF once and it solves the issue. Not making much sense. My poor old WDTV Live SMP has no issues playing them (or anything else really), but its interface is getting slow and pretty much useless using any apps it has.

Any suggestions on settings changes I have wrong or I should change? TIA

EDIT: Just double checked and it seems I didn't do the "advancedsettings.xml" file like the recommendation above. Is that the issue?
(2017-01-20, 08:02)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Simply question for all Shield gurus - Is the Shield - Dolby Digital Licensed ?

I'm asking as I see no DD logos anywhere in any of the Marketing material out there, and seeing problems with TV's and 5.1 DD Netflix & Amazon Video audio output.

It doesn't have Dolby Audio license. It can only passthrough Dolby audio.
I can't say for sure whether the refresh rate switching issue seen with mixed mode configurations is due to HDCP 2.2 or something else. I say this because, Amazon fireTV 2 which is a HDMI 1.4 device with HDCP 2.2 has no issues with refresh rate switching in mixed mode configurations. fireTV 2 has always on HDCP.
Ok, I got my Shield connected and setup as best as I think with SPMC Smile

Got a few issues, playing some 3D content (HSBS/HTAB) the display doesn't detect there is a 3D signal.
All sound formats seem to work, except Dolby Atmos ... it just falls back to TrueHD it seems.

Noticed that sometimes DTSHD isn't detected, restarting the movie doesn't seem to help, starting a movie with TrueHD and after that play the DTS-HD again ... it gets detected, kinda weird Smile

With Netflix it seems that HDR isn't working, direct on the TV Marco Polo is detected as HDR and shows it right away ... on the Shield it just displays without HDR.

Any got some pointers where to look?
Is it ok to post link for Amazon Video 4k APK from Gen 2
Someone posted it on Reddit
Alright everyone, here's somethings that I've learned yesterday (for those interested).

1. Youtube 4K HDR / VP9 profile 2 support. - They are "looking into it". No details were gone into, but that it was not dismissed so there is a possibility that it may come in the future. But don't take that to the bank.

2. USB tuner support - This is coming, probably within the next couple of months. No details were discussed, but from what was said there is more coming with tuner support than just simply adding tuner drivers. It was stated that customers will be "pleasantly surprised", which you may or may not be. Wink

3. Mixed HDMI issues - I brought this up, but they weren't aware of the issue. I did try to explain it the best I could, having to go by forum posts since I don't have anything to personally test against, but with differing reports the last couple of days, I'm not actually sure what the issue is now. If anyone that has tested the issue and wants to detail what they are experiencing, feel free to PM me or post here with the details and I will make sure that it gets pushed to Nvidia. No guarantees on a fix though.

4. Removal of IR receiver on 16GB model - This was basically explained that it was because of Harmony remotes. [Assumption - my explanation] The IR receiver on the Shield was specifically added to support Harmony remotes. Since the majority of Harmony remotes support BT, there was no need for the IR receiver (support for future peripherals, not backwards compatible).

5. Expanding Beta program - They are looking to expand the beta program and will be adding a sign up page on the Geforce forums sometime in the future. So if you want to be a beta tester to help improve the SATV, look for that.

6.Difference between 2017 & 2015 Leanback Experience - There will be a minor difference between how apps on Leanback are displayed, between the '15 & '17 Shields. That being that Amazon & Netflix will not be in the apps section, instead they will remain in the Shield Hub row. Apparently this is because of deals that were made when the 2015 model was launched and Nvidia is still bound by those deals.

7. 2015 Shield update - There have been many complaints about the '15 Shields not getting the update at the same time as the release of the '17 Shields. This was because there was a major issue found in the software literally at the last minute. Nvidia had every intention of releasing the update the same day, but had to pull out of dong so as not to push out a update that had a major flaw.

That's about all I can think of for now, there was more discussed, but mostly related to gaming (more game support for Gamestream and more added to GeForce Now). If I think of something else I'll update the post.

NOTE: Though I use SATVs as my main devices for Kodi and media consumption (not the only though), I have no affiliation with Nvidia, I get nothing from them but information (not that I don't try Wink ) and I am under no NDA. I was asked to join a program last year specifically because of my interaction in the Kodi community, and as such I attempt to promote adding features and fixing bugs specific to Kodi.
(2017-01-20, 18:02)sandogo1 Wrote: [ -> ]Is it ok to post link for Amazon Video 4k APK from Gen 2
Someone posted it on Reddit

It's on the Geforce forums too, just search for it there. But there's no reason too, unless you just can't wait another few days for the update.
(2017-01-18, 20:27)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, so let me make sure that I have everything correct.

1080p:

Everything works as intended. Frame rate switching works, color space doesn't revert to RGB.

4K:

No issues if full HDMI chain is HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2. Frame rate switching works but forces to 4:2:2 @24p.

Issues with mixed HDMI, if 2.0 (AVR) & 1.4 (TV), no frame rate switching (auto or manually), and color space/resolution can't be changed, defaults to [email protected]
What about the reverse 1.4 (AVR) & 2.0 (TV)? Has that been tested?

I will (once again) bring this up to them [Nvidia], but I need to make sure I have my facts straight.

While some of us are waiting to get a full HDMI 2.0 path, does anyone know if there is any HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 1.4 converter so as to not lose the frame rate swhitching? Thanks
(2017-01-18, 22:00)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-18, 21:11)rde135 Wrote: [ -> ]Alright guys, hell just froze over.

The 5.0.1 firmware apparently fixed ALL refresh rate switching bugs with regard to HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 1.4 chains.

24 fps and 23.976 fps refresh rate switching now works flawlessly in my setup (Shield HDMI 2.0 -> Onkyo TX-NR646 HDMI 2.0 -> Acer V7500 HDMI 1.4). And the selected color space (YCbCR 4:4:4) also stays the same after each refresh rate switch!

On what HDMI port do you have the Shield connected to? I thought only the first 3 inputs on the TX-NR646 are HDCP 2.2.

Ok sorry I did not get to the update where this is fixed.
(2017-01-20, 18:55)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Alright everyone, here's somethings that I've learned yesterday (for those interested).

1. Youtube 4K HDR / VP9 profile 2 support. - They are "looking into it". No details were gone into, but that it was not dismissed so there is a possibility that it may come in the future. But don't take that to the bank.

3. Mixed HDMI issues - I brought this up, but they weren't aware of the issue. I did try to explain it the best I could, having to go by forum posts since I don't have anything to personally test against, but with differing reports the last couple of days, I'm not actually sure what the issue is now. If anyone that has tested the issue and wants to detail what they are experiencing, feel free to PM me or post here with the details and I will make sure that it gets pushed to Nvidia. No guarantees on a fix though.

Thanks for the updates Smile

1. As I mentioned earlier, I would have expected the new Shield to be released with VP9 profile 2 support. Since it hasn't, I will now be really surprised if we ever see that on Tegra X1.

3. It is not a good sign if nVIDIA folks are still asking this issue to be explained! There is a multi-page thread on this very topic on the Shield forum. It has also been raised by several people in various other threads. Some beta testers have also mentioned it several times.