Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-12-15, 17:02)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-14, 18:02)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ].Now I have Lumix GH5 and it is considered the best camera in the world for video but there isn't UHD HDR10 Rec 2020. I don't know what to do. ufff

I thought the GH5 had an update enabling HEVC recording to UHD HLG rec.2020  
I know only 25p and not 50p.

If I shoot in rec.709 with my camera and I like to watch the video with Shield TV, is it better to export with BT.709 or BT.2020?
(2018-12-14, 18:02)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ].Now I have Lumix GH5 and it is considered the best camera in the world for video but there isn't UHD HDR10 Rec 2020. I don't know what to do. ufff

I believe some GH5 variants may have the ability to shoot in Rec.2020 - but for some frame rates you need an external recorder. I think 30p and below can be recorded 10-bit internally, 50p and above require an external recorder.

However once you get into these kind of areas you are in the realms of LUTs and knowing what you are doing in grading terms.
(2018-12-15, 17:17)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]

I know only 25p and not 50p.

If I shoot in rec.709 with my camera and I like to watch the video with Shield TV, is it better to export with BT.709 or BT.2020? 

It depends on your TV's handling of SDR Rec 2020.  You are simply moving the SDR Rec 709->SDR Rec 2020 conversion to Edius/Resolve etc.  (Your TV will then convert Rec 2020 to its primaries)

If you have your Shield TV configured for Rec 2020 output and export in SDR Rec 709 then the Rec 709->SDR Rec 2020 conversion happens in the Shield TV.  (Your TV will then convert Rec 2020 to its primaries)
If you have your Shield TV configured for Rec 709 output and export in SDR Rec 709 then the Rec 709->your TV's primaries.

SDR Rec 2020 isn't a widespread format.  How TV's handle it can vary.  (SDR in general can be handled as 2.2 or 2.4 power-law gamma, BT1886 EOTF etc...)

Out of interest - does your TV have an internal media player?  What happens if you play your Rec 709 UHD files in that rather than on the Shield TV?
(2018-12-15, 18:49)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Out of interest - does your TV have an internal media player?  What happens if you play your Rec 709 UHD files in that rather than on the Shield TV? 
 Yes, my TV has an internal media player and it plays Rec 709 UHD files much better that Shield TV but it can't handle high bitrate like Shield TV.

I appreciate your generosity and your great experience and I'd like to ask a question risking being out-of-body. For me the best option is to shoot at 50p 10bit but I can't do it with my GH5. I can shoot only 25p 10 bit. Yes, I can make some tests and to edit those clips but it isn't the same than to shoot in Africa where there is red earth, a lot of light, I'm always in a hurry, etc. etc. In your opinion is it better to shoot 25p 10bit or 50p 8bit? I remember you I don't sell my documentaries and only I am the user (consumer), although I would like to get the best image quality with my GH5.
(2018-12-15, 19:30)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-15, 18:49)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Out of interest - does your TV have an internal media player?  What happens if you play your Rec 709 UHD files in that rather than on the Shield TV? 
 Yes, my TV has an internal media player and it plays Rec 709 UHD files much better that Shield TV but it can't handle high bitrate like Shield TV.

I appreciate your generosity and your great experience and I'd like to ask a question risking being out-of-body. For me the best option is to shoot at 50p 10bit but I can't do it with my GH5. I can shoot only 25p 10 bit. Yes, I can make some tests and to edit those clips but it isn't the same than to shoot in Africa where there is red earth, a lot of light, I'm always in a hurry, etc. etc. In your opinion is it better to shoot 25p 10bit or 50p 8bit? I remember you I don't sell my documentaries and only I am the user (consumer), although I would like to get the best image quality with my GH5.  
What bitrate are you exporting at that your TV can't cope?

I'd try HEVC 2160p50 at bitrates from 20 - 40Mbs.

Personally I like the 50p look as it has a more realistic feel.  However most documentaries and dramas are shot at 25p for a more 'filmic' look.  You may be able to reduce bitrate a bit with 25p.
My TV software plays UHD h264 .mp4 100Mbps files without problems. But it plays also 150Mbps but the video is not fluid. Shield TV read better high bitrates. I will try HEVC 2160p50 at bitrates from 20 - 40Mbs. But now I have Shield TV and I'd like to use it because I sometimes make some public projections and I want Shield TV works well.
Hello , need help
I use ARC my TV not support pass through Dolby PLUS 5.1
Any solution to downconverted Dolby PLUS 5.1 to (AC3) DD 5.1 not AAC .
Kodi 17 & Spmc
(2018-12-16, 14:20)KaBoS Wrote: [ -> ]Hello , need help
I use ARC my TV not support pass through Dolby PLUS 5.1
Any solution to downconverted Dolby PLUS 5.1 to (AC3) DD 5.1 not AAC .
Kodi 17 & Spmc
 What happens if you configure Kodi for 2.0 channels, and enable Passthrough, AC3 and AC3 transcoding in Sound Settings? (You may need to be Advanced or Expert to see these options)

(I know it's not intuitive to set 2.0 settings when you want 5.1 audio...)
@noggin  Thank you so much for the reply ,  I did not try 2 channels But when you disable the (DD Plus (E-AC3) ) passthrough option in Settings Audio ,
The sound passes to the receiver but not surround sound  just PCM 2.0

Are there settings making the conversion from DD+ 5.1  to DD 5.1 ?
(2018-12-16, 02:18)FoxADRIANO Wrote: [ -> ]My TV software plays UHD h264 .mp4 100Mbps files without problems. But it plays also 150Mbps but the video is not fluid.
150Mbs is a very high bitrate for H.264. It's technically within spec for H.264 Level 5.2 (which is the lowest H.264 level that supports 3840x2160 at 50fps) but it's still pushing H.264 decoding far higher than consumer H.264 video (which maxes out at 50Mbs 1920x1080/24p HD on Blu-ray)
Quote:Shield TV read better high bitrates.
The issue isn't the USB reading of the bitrate (150Mbs = <20MBs) it's almost certainly the H.264 decoding of the Shield TV being pushed past what it is designed for. As there is no real-world 150Mbs H.264 3840x2160p50 content out there - you are pushing a system past what it is designed and tested for.

To be honest - 100Mbs is a very high bitrate for H.264. 150Mbs is a VERY high bitrate for H.264.
Quote:I will try HEVC 2160p50 at bitrates from 20 - 40Mbs. But now I have Shield TV and I'd like to use it because I sometimes make some public projections and I want Shield TV works well.

Yes - HEVC/H265 is a codec better-designed for UHD content, and is the codec used by mainstream content creators for UHD distribution (Netflix, Amazon, UHD Blu-ray etc.) It's more efficient than H.264 so should allow you to drop your data rates but retain high quality (though this does depend on the quality of your encoder)

For info - Netflix runs at a max of around 22Mbs at 3840x2160/24p, and Amazon Prime Video runs at around 10Mbs for similar content (according to my Apple TV 4K developer HUD). They obviously optimise the hell out of their encoders, and they are running at 24fps not 50fps (though bitrate requirements don't double when frame rates double AIUI as you gain temporal redundancy compression benefits at higher frame rates)

We know that H.265 decoders in the Shield TV can cope with high bitrate UHD Blu-rays too - so HEVC at >50Mbs should also be OK if properly encoded. I expect the H.265/HEVC decoder in the Shield TV can cope with higher bitrates than the H.264 decoder as a result.
(2018-12-17, 11:07)KaBoS Wrote: [ -> ]@noggin  Thank you so much for the reply ,  I did not try 2 channels But when you disable the (DD Plus (E-AC3) ) passthrough option in Settings Audio ,
The sound passes to the receiver but not surround sound  just PCM 2.0

Are there settings making the conversion from DD+ 5.1  to DD 5.1 ?

Yes - you should see an "Enable Dolby Digital / AC3 Transcoding" option (just below Dolby Digital / AC3 pass through) when you have pass through enabled just for DD AND your Channels configured to 2.0 (it won't offer you transcode options if your channels setting isn't 2.0)  This will convert any multichannel audio to Dolby Digital / AC3 5.1.

All multichannel (PCM, FLAC, AAC, DTS HD MA, True HD, DD+, DTS etc.) audio can be transcoded to Dolby Digital in Kodi to allow for output via ARC/SPDIF limited connections.

Here are my settings that enable this - I've just checked it works with a 5.1 AAC Freeview HD recording, transcoding it to Dolby Digital 5.1 :

(Normally I'd use 5.1 Channels and have all passthrough enabled as I'm not using ARC/SPDIF - I'm connecting my Shield directly to my AVR via HDMI so have a 7.1 PCM/HD Audio path (not available with ARC/SPDIF)
@noggin
Thank you very much for helping this is the first time using ARC I did not know this information, problem solved thank you
Quick Questions:

1. Is lossless pass through for DTS-MA and/or Dolby TrueHD Atmos working well?  Deciding if I want to try NVidia Shield ... currently running low-end Win10 pc which does both fine.

2.  I'm using a projector through a Denon AVR... can I get Kodi to say 'on' 24x7 so when I turn onthe Denon & Projector, Kodi is always onscreen... no need to open Kodi app every time?
... with the PC is has major problems when the HDMI signal goes away.

thx
I have Bluetooth keyboard connected, I had it also in 7.1 and there's no problem for me either in 7.1 or 7.2. no connection issues at all.
(2018-12-13, 12:15)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]Does the 3rd party Bluetooth remotes work now and not loose connection each day?

I saw in the notes that there are some Bluetooth fixes, but not tested yet myself.
Do you mean this standard little Shield black slick remote?
(2018-12-13, 15:30)rene.hav Wrote: [ -> ]With 7.2 update, there is FINALLY option (under developer options) to keep SHIELD remote awake (2017 one, bluetooth connected). Which means that after nearly two years since release, this remote is finally usable. Love it!