Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-20, 23:53)obwiz Wrote: [ -> ]The problem I'm having is stutter and the picture quality is not as good.Want to keep the Shield but the wife has noticed drop in quality (never a good thing). The picture is quite dark and not as crisp as the Himedia. So I'm under pressure to fix it fast.
1) Does SPMC switch refresh rate when you play 24/25p content? Shield has had issues with 1080i50 content in the past. I'm not sure whether the 2017 Shield/update 5.0 has any of that issue.

2) What color space have you selected under "Advance settings"/"Display & Sound" on the Shield.
(2017-01-21, 20:30)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't see the benefit of having a multi-tuner ATSC adapter in the U.S. We only have 5 major networks that transmit OTA. Out of the 5, you may get only 2-3 if using indoor antennas. For those reasons, I think a dual-tuner may be more than sufficient for OTA in the U.S (It's America first now Smile)

I don't know about that. I live a good 30-40 miles from the nearest broadcast antenna and pickup about at least 11 channels including all the major channels with a cheap 65+ mile indoor/outdoor antenna mounted in my attic space.

While I agree that a 2 tuner is sufficient in most cases, there are nights when there will be at least 3 shows on that we watch on different channels and in the same time slot. So I have to choose which to watch/record and which I'll have to wait to watch on Hulu.
(2017-01-21, 21:26)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about that. I live a good 30-40 miles from the nearest broadcast antenna and pickup about at least 11 channels including all the major channels with a cheap 65+ mile indoor/outdoor antenna mounted in my attic space.

While I agree that a 2 tuner is sufficient in most cases, there are nights when there will be at least 3 shows on that we watch on different channels and in the same time slot. So I have to choose which to watch/record and which I'll have to wait to watch on Hulu.

I guess, my viewing habits are different Smile I have nothing to watch at prime time on NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox or The CW.

By indoor antenna, I meant leaf antenna. I would think that is what folks living in big cities/small apts are using these days.
From -> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2504301

Quote:Shield arrived today, installed Kodi 16.1 from Google Play. First impressions, a bit meh. Kodi runs at 1080p by default (couldn't change res in settings, though Shield settings show 4K @ 59.something Hz), remote massively laggy (from a distance on 6 feet with line of sight, remote upgraded to v1.03 during install), remote also doesn't have a PLAY/Pause button so you need to press the middle button twice to Pause, once more to PLAY then press Back to remove the context menu at the top (got to be a better way) 720p files still lagging (like on fire stick) which points to an issue with my wifi network (or USB hdd).

I've not spent long with it at all (10mins) but I'm very disappointed off the bat. My next steps are updating to a beta release of Kodi, and reviewing WTF is going on with my wireless. The remote lag is worrying me.

It's the weekend! So I have a little more time to mess about...

1. Replaced Kodi with SPMC (most recommended but still unsure why/difference to Kodi) - this enabled me to set the resolution of SPMC to 4k @ 59.94Hz, is that right? I couldn't adjust that in Kodi 16.1
2. I'm on Shield 5.0 (24.25.401.111) - but apparently there is a 5.0.1 update which I can't seem to force update
3. Remote lag is in Shield UI and all apps (rebooted and it came up with battery is low) <- most likely lag is due to crap batteries - frustrating as batteries shouldn't be dead OOTB Followed https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...rformance/ and popped the batteries in/out and back to full power. Lag gone!
4. Reset factory defaults on WiFi (still getting some buffering issues and lag when skipping ahead in videos on either 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, Shield says signal strength Excellent on both) - bought a USB3 hdd and will test that. My USB2 hdd is shared from my router, can I share it from the Shield over WiFi to read/write files?
5. Haven't manually configured anything else (I connect via HDMI 2.0 to my LG 55EF9500 4k HDR 4:4:4 TV), any sound or video options to play with? My TV has DTS and Dolby Digital so enabled passthrough and checked those options - some files have no audio so disabled both and audio working again (facepalm). Still unclear on Display config :/
6. The remote doesn't have a PLAY/Pause button so you need to press the middle button twice to Pause, once more to PLAY then press Back to remove the context menu at the top (got to be a better way). Is there a way to remap the Home or Mic buttons on the remote?

Is anyone able to offer any advice?
(2017-01-21, 21:36)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]By indoor antenna, I meant leaf antenna. I would think that is what folks living in big cities/small apts are using these days.

I've had one of those too. It worked well enough if I could get at a high enough point in the house, but I would get signal drops at certain points during the day. I imagine that city folks that are much closer to the broadcast antennas don't have as big of an issue, especially with something like a Mohu Leaf 50. Even a leaf 30 is probably enough if there's not a lot of interference.

(2017-01-22, 01:33)phreedumb Wrote: [ -> ]1. Replaced Kodi with SPMC (most recommended but still unsure why/difference to Kodi) - this enabled me to set the resolution of SPMC to 4k @ 59.94Hz, is that right? I couldn't adjust that in Kodi 16.1
2. I'm on Shield 5.0 (24.25.401.111) - but apparently there is a 5.0.1 update which I can't seem to force update
3. Remote lag is in Shield UI and all apps (rebooted and it came up with battery is low) <- most likely lag is due to crap batteries - frustrating as batteries shouldn't be dead OOTB. Followed https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...rformance/ and popped the batteries in/out and back to full power. Lag gone!
4. Reset factory defaults on WiFi (still getting some buffering issues and lag when skipping ahead in videos on either 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, Shield says signal strength Excellent on both) - bought a USB3 hdd and will test that. It's shared from my router, can I share via the Shield over USB?
5. Haven't manually configured anything else (I connect via HDMI 2.0 to my LG 55EF9500 4k HDR 4:4:4 TV), any sound or video options to play with?

1. Because there is no Android maintainer for Kodi anymore and SPMC is forked by the former maintainer. And it has some Android specific tweaks.
2. Yes there is a 5.0.1 update.
3. See here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...rformance/ also, 5.0.1 has some specific bug fixes for the remote.
(2017-01-20, 23:34)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]When the new update rolls out I will check the setup again, but in the mean time you should be able to still use a 2 device setup in your Activity, by adding a Windows PC into the mix and adding it as a BT keyboard. Then map you unused buttons using the keyboard commands. This is a list of commands you can use (should still work).
Oh well isn't that just a clever idea. I just did this and it worked great. I am so excited that I can now map any button to a keypress. I am also gargling in excitement about the idea of adding keymaps for the number buttons to add FilterSMS bindings, something I haven't had since I ran XBMC on original XBOX hardware and compiled the .xbe up myself at work! Thanks for the help.
So they removed the IR receiver because harmony users can just use Bluetooth then provided no replacement for the IR only commands that are now missing...brilliant! Not to mention some of us have RTI/URC/Control 4 systems that don't integrate with the shield over bluetooth and IR was the only way...super cool. Not that I love IR, i absolutely hate it, but they also haven't provided any options for IP control of the shield which all of the more advanced universal remotes do support.
Many harmony remotes can't use bluetooth, either. I have a harmony 650 in my bedroom that's IR-only. You need a harmony hub to control BT.

Anyway, get a flirc. Flirc is awesome.
(2017-01-20, 17:26)bluestang Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-20, 16:18)Jdiesel Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-20, 15:04)pabloh20 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

Just wanted to check, as I am thinking of purchasing the NVidia shield. I have seen lots of reference to hdmi 2.2 and 1.4, but my set up will be through an older Denon amp which will be hdmi 1.3 and I think my tv is probably 1.3 as well, obviously only 1080p, but I presume I am not going to have any issues with refresh rate changes in Kodi?

You should be fine. I have a HDMI 1.4 TV, a 1.3 receiver, fed by the Shield TV with no refreshrate switching issues.

Not 100% sure on this myself. I have a Pannasonic Plasma and I'm cuurently setting up my new 2017 Shield directly attached to my TV. Refresh rate is set at 1080p 59.94 (as recommended) and colorspace is set RGB Limited and I have the SPMC settings as Recommended video settings for SPMC and NVIDIA Shield TV with 1080p GUI.

I get some stuttering when playing my Blu-rays that I ripped to MKV (so 1080p 23.976). Unit is hardwired so it's not a connection issue for sure. Sometimes a movie will start fine, other times it won't. It is like its playing in slow motion with some pixelation. Now if I hit FF once in SPMC it solves the problem and plays fine. If I switched to a different movie, it may or may not do the same thing and again I can click FF once and it solves the issue. Not making much sense. My poor old WDTV Live SMP has no issues playing them (or anything else really), but its interface is getting slow and pretty much useless using any apps it has.

Any suggestions on settings changes I have wrong or I should change? TIA

Anyone have any ideas? I have all the updates done and newest SPMC from GitHub. This stuttering is really annoying. Shield is hooked directly to TV (Panasonic TC-P42S2).
(2017-01-22, 06:27)bluestang Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have any ideas? I have all the updates done and newest SPMC from GitHub. This stuttering is really annoying. Shield is hooked directly to TV (Panasonic TC-P42S2).

Debug log (wiki)

And I would suggest starting a new thread for your issue in the Android subforum.

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164

You'll be more likely to get more eyes on the issue.
Hi!

A Pioneer Kuro (FHD) TV offered the NVIDIA Shield 2017? Plays and movies in 1080p 23.976? Which app will be able to do this?

THX
(2017-01-22, 17:14)DVlad Wrote: [ -> ]Hi!

A Pioneer Kuro (FHD) TV offered the NVIDIA Shield 2017? Plays and movies in 1080p 23.976? Which app will be able to do this?

THX
That app would be "Kodi", or for Shield, the Kodi fork "SPMC".

Dispatched from Mojo's Artisan Toast & Beard-Fluffing Emporium, Temescal Alley
Thank you very much!
(2017-01-22, 06:30)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-22, 06:27)bluestang Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have any ideas? I have all the updates done and newest SPMC from GitHub. This stuttering is really annoying. Shield is hooked directly to TV (Panasonic TC-P42S2).

Debug log (wiki)

And I would suggest starting a new thread for your issue in the Android subforum.

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164

You'll be more likely to get more eyes on the issue.
Ok, thanks. Seems adding 2.5 second for "pause during refresh rate change" may have solved it. Figured I'd put it here in case anyone else runs into this.
(2017-01-22, 01:33)phreedumb Wrote: [ -> ]From -> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2504301

Quote:[quote]
6. The remote doesn't have a PLAY/Pause button so you need to press the middle button twice to Pause, once more to PLAY then press Back to remove the context menu at the top (got to be a better way). Is there a way to remap the Home or Mic buttons on the remote?

If you long press the select button it will pause play without the transport controls showing up, and again long press to resume playing. Another useful tip (that took too long for me to find out about) is when you are deep into menus and you just want to quickly get back to the main/home menu, long press the back button.