Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-28, 22:42)pettergulbra Wrote: [ -> ]Where did you do this?

See the 1st Post, "Known Issues"
Hello everyone,

I finally tried the HDMI-passthrough function on my setup with nvidia shield Tablet running marshmallow. After a few tries, i succeeded to get the AC3 working.
Sadly i tried mutiples settings (Kodi/SPMC version from google store, expert mode, DTS capable receiver enabled) to get DTS working but it doesn't work at all (no sound) on my HTS (HDMI=> TV=> Optical out=> HTS).

I can confirmed that DTS works well with my setup because i tried with a PC (w10 x64 + MPC-HC bistreaming AC3/DTS) and it works like a charm, DTS signal is recognized by the HTS.

Do you think that it could work with the new Nvidia shield TV ?

Thank you.
@Tinwarble Thanks :-)
Anyone willing to demo the be Video app? --i presume it's available now,?

It baffles me just how few ppl care about vimeo.
Android app was non existent for years, and when it arrived it was lackluster.

It has some of the most amazing content out the, and for free
(2017-01-28, 23:42)woxxi Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think that it could work with the new Nvidia shield TV ?

Thank you.

Yes, the Shield supports pass-through for all formats, including HD audio.
(2017-01-28, 21:53)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]For those folks interested in Hi-Res music, there is some good news. You can get 24-bit 96 & 192kHz Stereo output (HDMI) from Kodi and SPMC. Mind you, this is limited to stereo tracks (FLAC/WAV). Multichannel audio is still output as 16-bit 48kHz. There is no support for 44.1, 88.2 or 176.4kHz. 88.2 is output as 96kHz and 176.4 as 48kHz (I need to reconfirm this). I haven't checked whether USB audio output is different or not.

I also have to mention that the problem that I had reported here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...nt=4833633 has been fixed in update 5.0.2.

Where and how do you check that you get 24-bit / 96 or 192kHz Stereo output (HDMI) from Kodi and SPMC? Do you check that in Kodi/ SPMC, if yes how? Or simply in reciver?
I have Denon AVR- X2200W and reciver shows me that my signal is PCM. So I have no idea is Kodi/SPMC outputs 16bit or 24bit/ 192kHz.
What type of lag (if any) should I expect using Kodi with the private audio through the headphone jack in the controller/remote? Will there be any difference between on the lag between the 2015 and 2017 versions? Thanks!
Writing to external hard drives.

How many external hard drives can be mounted by the Shield TV? A 2 Hard drive limitation is a deal-breaker for me instantly. (no, I don't have a NAS...RAID would not work for me since I have 4 hard drives with 3 different capacities. Plus I can only afford a media player or a NAS, both are simply not affordable, so I need something that can mount 4+ external drives)
@SilverBlade,

I think you will need an Old Priest and a Young Priest, A Vial of Holy Water, a Bible - and lots of Moral Fortitude to be even contemplating using Multiple Hard drives on any Android OS.

I would be interested to see what the answer is with this question, but I'm almost willing to bet you are going to need a LibreELEC or Windows Kodi Box that will support 4+ External Hard Drives. LibreELEC will even give you a nice, seamless, inbuilt SMB Server.
(2017-01-30, 04:02)SilverBlade Wrote: [ -> ]Writing to external hard drives.

How many external hard drives can be mounted by the Shield TV? A 2 Hard drive limitation is a deal-breaker for me instantly. (no, I don't have a NAS...RAID would not work for me since I have 4 hard drives with 3 different capacities. Plus I can only afford a media player or a NAS, both are simply not affordable, so I need something that can mount 4+ external drives)

The Shield supports up to 2 HDDs connect via USB.

A NAS does not need to be set up as RAID, most you can setup as JBOD or SPAN which means you don't need to have the same size HDDs.

My suggestion would be to get something like a RPi, attach your drives to it and use it as a cheap NAS.
(2017-01-30, 05:00)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]My suggestion would be to get something like a RPi, attach your drives to it and use it as a cheap NAS.
Until you realise that the RPi's share USB2 and 10/100 Ethernet bandwidth which constrains performance for use as a NAS Sad

Review: ODROID-C2, compared to Raspberry Pi 3 and Orange Pi Plus
(2017-01-30, 05:00)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-30, 04:02)SilverBlade Wrote: [ -> ]Writing to external hard drives.

The Shield supports up to 2 HDDs connect via USB.

A NAS does not need to be set up as RAID, most you can setup as JBOD or SPAN which means you don't need to have the same size HDDs.

My suggestion would be to get something like a RPi, attach your drives to it and use it as a cheap NAS.

I'm not much into 'tinkering' anymore. Anything to do with command-line is an automatic 'nope' for me.

The RPi is junk for a NAS because the USB and ethernet port are on the same controller.

Plus, I'd have to buy 2 NAS units right away. They are like $300+ each (I'm Canadian, we get *hosed* on tech prices). It's just unaffordable.
(2017-01-30, 05:48)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-30, 05:00)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]My suggestion would be to get something like a RPi, attach your drives to it and use it as a cheap NAS.
Until you realise that the RPi's share USB2 and 10/100 Ethernet bandwidth which constrains performance for use as a NAS Sad

Review: ODROID-C2, compared to Raspberry Pi 3 and Orange Pi Plus

Which is why I said "something like", I think the C2 would fall into that category. Wink

(2017-01-30, 05:58)SilverBlade Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not much into 'tinkering' anymore. Anything to do with command-line is an automatic 'nope' for me.

The RPi is junk for a NAS because the USB and ethernet port are on the same controller.

Plus, I'd have to buy 2 NAS units right away. They are like $300+ each (I'm Canadian, we get *hosed* on tech prices). It's just unaffordable.

No tinkering involved, just install LibreELEC on a RPi, C2, whatever and set it up on Kodi. This is the same thing I do with my TVHeadEnd server on a Chromebox. Which although I'm not using it as a NAS (I have dedicated NASs for that), it does have HDDs attached and handles all my OTA recording that get served up to my 3 Shields.

There's no reason that you can't setup (easily) a headless Kodi setup on a cheap device and then use it to server your files to another device.
My 2015 box got the new firmware a couple days ago, but if I got the press info right, it should come with a dedicated Steam app, shouldn't it? I can see Steam via GameStream, but that's a tiny bit different as it requires a nVidia GPU while a real Steam client would work with any GPU on the game host. Just wondering if anybody knows anything about it (sorry if I missed the info about it in here).
(2017-01-30, 10:30)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]My 2015 box got the new firmware a couple days ago, but if I got the press info right, it should come with a dedicated Steam app, shouldn't it? I can see Steam via GameStream, but that's a tiny bit different as it requires a nVidia GPU while a real Steam client would work with any GPU on the game host. Just wondering if anybody knows anything about it (sorry if I missed the info about it in here).

I noticed that it was missing too. I've tried googling all kinds of different phrases and I find nothing that talks about how the Steam app is supposed to work whenever it gets released.