Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My take away from the steam app is that it was moved into the Gamestream app and still requires a Nvidia GPU to use. However I've heard rumors that Valve is working on a dedicated Steam app for the shield that should work with AMD GPUs.
(2017-01-30, 10:30)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]My 2015 box got the new firmware a couple days ago, but if I got the press info right, it should come with a dedicated Steam app, shouldn't it? I can see Steam via GameStream, but that's a tiny bit different as it requires a nVidia GPU while a real Steam client would work with any GPU on the game host. Just wondering if anybody knows anything about it (sorry if I missed the info about it in here).

No, even in the press release and the CES presentation it was stated that the Steam app would allow you to stream from a PC, meaning that it requires a PC (Nvidia GPU) to use. It is NOT a stand-alone app that allows you to stream games like a Steam Link.

The Steam app is tied to Gamestream and will only put a shortcut in Leanback once you use it, which may also be tied to the Nvidia Games app which will be slowly rolled out to 2015 Shield users over the next few weeks and will replace Shield Games and Geforce Now.
(2017-01-30, 17:00)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-30, 10:30)da-anda Wrote: [ -> ]My 2015 box got the new firmware a couple days ago, but if I got the press info right, it should come with a dedicated Steam app, shouldn't it? I can see Steam via GameStream, but that's a tiny bit different as it requires a nVidia GPU while a real Steam client would work with any GPU on the game host. Just wondering if anybody knows anything about it (sorry if I missed the info about it in here).

No, even in the press release and the CES presentation it was stated that the Steam app would allow you to stream from a PC, meaning that it requires a PC (Nvidia GPU) to use. It is NOT a stand-alone app that allows you to stream games like a Steam Link.

The Steam app is tied to Gamestream and will only put a shortcut in Leanback once you use it, which may also be tied to the Nvidia Games app which will be slowly rolled out to 2015 Shield users over the next few weeks and will replace Shield Games and Geforce Now.

You may have inadvertently caused some confusion with this post

"Plus, there's the addition of the Steam app on the Shield, which a lot of people already use and will now be available to use on the Shield."
(2017-01-30, 17:20)sdsnyr94 Wrote: [ -> ]You may have inadvertently caused some confusion with this post

"Plus, there's the addition of the Steam app on the Shield, which a lot of people already use and will now be available to use on the Shield."

Transcript from the CES Keynote:

Quote: We know that there are tens of millions of PC gamers around the world and they have GeForce gaming and they would like to take that GeForce gaming PC and connect their Steam service to our television. We work with Valve and we’re making available for the very first time a Steam app on Android Play, a Steam app on SHIELD that connects to your PC and you can enjoy 4K HDR gaming on your TV while it’s playing on your PC.

And I didn't say anything about there being a stand-alone Steam app.
(2017-01-30, 04:02)SilverBlade Wrote: [ -> ]Writing to external hard drives.

How many external hard drives can be mounted by the Shield TV? A 2 Hard drive limitation is a deal-breaker for me instantly. (no, I don't have a NAS...RAID would not work for me since I have 4 hard drives with 3 different capacities. Plus I can only afford a media player or a NAS, both are simply not affordable, so I need something that can mount 4+ external drives)
I plugged into my PC with a USB 3 cable from the shield and a dozen drives where available, the router has a few drives too. If you already have a PC, then that's your media player, or your NAS; pick.
Writing External (unformatted) Hard Drive from PC

Hi Guys,

First of all, thank you to everyone that keeps posting in this thread (as well as the older one). You have already answered so many of questions in terms of setup. Just got my 2017 Shield last week and its working great. I have one remaining question:

I have 2 TB WD My book hooked to the Shield and can play everything via Kodi and access the files via Total Commander. However, the Hard Drive still shows up as read only on my PC, so I can copy anything new on it. I read that this a limitation of Plex...

Now, I have seen that there are options like VirtualHere to get around this, but apparently it slows down transfer speeds considerably. I therefore wanted to ask if anyone knew a better way to deal with this?

My apologies if the question is basic or if it has been asked before. Nevertheless, I would be greatfull for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Vic
@Victor Shade, see the first and second post. Full access permissions for external drives is described there.
(2017-01-29, 16:17)ariux Wrote: [ -> ]Where and how do you check that you get 24-bit / 96 or 192kHz Stereo output (HDMI) from Kodi and SPMC? Do you check that in Kodi/ SPMC, if yes how? Or simply in reciver?
I have Denon AVR- X2200W and reciver shows me that my signal is PCM. So I have no idea is Kodi/SPMC outputs 16bit or 24bit/ 192kHz.
You need an HDMI protocol analyzer or an Audio analzyer to check the bit depth. Usually, you won't find it on an AVR.
(2017-01-30, 19:35)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]@Victor Shade, see the first and second post. Full access permissions for external drives is described there.

Thanks Tinwarble, much obliged
(2017-01-30, 18:26)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]

How many external hard drives can be mounted by the Shield TV? A 2 Hard drive limitation is a deal-breaker for me instantly. (no, I don't have a NAS...RAID would not work for me since I have 4 hard drives with 3 different capacities. Plus I can only afford a media player or a NAS, both are simply not affordable, so I need something that can mount 4+ external drives)
I plugged into my PC with a USB 3 cable from the shield and a dozen drives where available, the router has a few drives too. If you already have a PC, then that's your media player, or your NAS; pick.

- My current PC is a 2010 iMac (with Windows). That's not a media player. Not by a long shot
- My current router is really old. It doesn't have a USB port to attach hard drives onto it.
- My current PC has the irritating 'need' to dismount external drives on it's own randomly. Not exactly acceptable when trying to play blu-rays.

Take a look at UNRAID. It allows disk's of different sizes running on a NAS. You can get going with relatively cheap hardware. Is great as a NAS.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010
I haven't seen anyone else on this forum have the same issue, but the option for audio passthrough disappeared when I did the nougat update on my 2015 shield pro. All audio now outputs as pcm, even Netflix.

Dispatched from Mojo's Artisan Toast & Beard-Fluffing Emporium, Temescal Alley
(2017-01-31, 04:54)DrowningApe Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't seen anyone else on this forum have the same issue, but the option for audio passthrough disappeared when I did the nougat update on my 2015 shield pro. All audio now outputs as pcm, even Netflix.

I have the 1 gen Shield and lost all bitstreaming too. Can't get passthrough from Kodi or SPMC and no DD+ from Netflix or Amazon. Seems like this is a know issue.

My chain is Shield > Denon x1200w > 2016 Vizio P Series.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...73#5070114
(2017-01-31, 04:54)DrowningApe Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't seen anyone else on this forum have the same issue, but the option for audio passthrough disappeared when I did the nougat update on my 2015 shield pro. All audio now outputs as pcm, even Netflix.

Have you tried a factory reset?

Having said that, i did after upgrading days ago, but now i dont know The Shield feels a bit unstable, apps now force close and when going to apps to clean cache or data it keeps "computing size" so the values aren't displayed and can't click on cache to clean it. Also the other day when i first opened hyperspin app, my brand new micro sdcard got force ejected and when i put it back in some files where not there but later on i put it in my Windows pc and files where there. I thought it got corrupted but thank god its working fine. I will do another factory reset tomorrow but do you guys know if its possible to downgrade to MM v3.3 firmware? Has anyone tried it?

Thank you in advance.
(2017-01-30, 17:20)sdsnyr94 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-30, 17:00)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]

You may have inadvertently caused some confusion with this post

Enviado desde mi Moto X via Tapatalk!

Hi,
For the record I also have the updated v1. connected to a Denon AVR-X2000 and I still have DD+ stream from Netflix. I have not checked yet if SPMC is also ok though.

Edit: It is the same with SPMC, audio passthrough with no problem (tested with DD).