Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-02-08, 13:56)hansolo Wrote: [ -> ]2. I have 4k TV (Samsung HU7500) with HDMI 2.0 and AVR with HDMI 1.4. Shield>AVR>TV max resolution I have 4k 30hz and color space RGB 8 bit Rec 709, YCbCr 4:4:4 8 bit Rec 709 or YCbCr 4:2:2 12 bit Rec 709. Whatever resolution/color space I choose in Kodi or SPMC I can't have 4k GUI. If I connect Shield directly to TV I have 4k60 Hz resolution and 4k GUI in SPMC or Kodi, why I can't have it in 4k30hz?
Thanks
HDMI 1.4 is limited to 4K@30Hz Max (bandwidth limitation). The HDMI 1.4 AVR is what your Shield is HDMI Handshaking with and reading valid Display Modes from on Bootup.

The interesting test is going to be Netflix that needs HDCP 2.2 for 4K Streaming Output. Your 1.4 AVR will not have HDCP 2.2
Have a read here all about Mixed mode HDMI / HDCP connections with Netflix and Amazon Video in this Monoprice page:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242
@couto27, yes, I tried that in SPMC and similar setings in Kodi 17.
@wrxtasy, I know but why can't have 4k GUI SPMC/Kodi at 30Hz?
Youtube works fine at that settings and in 4k resolution. Netflix of course is in 1080p as for 4k requires HDCP 2.2.
Hello,

I have a 2015 shield, connected to my amp trough HDMI cable, my amp is a yamaha RX-A3020 supporting TruHD and DTS MA. Amp is connected from the amp to my TV trough HDMI.

I'm using Kodi 17 last release.

- Kodi is set up in passtrough
- Parameter "Sync Playback to display is set Off (otherwise pastrough does not work)
- Parameter "Delay after change of refresh rate is set to 2.5s (otherwise True HD or DTS MA Amp decoding does not start)

Here is the description of my problem :

When is start a movie having a TrueHD or a DTS MA audio track, sounds came up after 5 to 20 seconds. During the no sound time my amp says "Decoder Off", of couyrse when sound came up Amp says "DTS-HD Hi Res".

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Bidus
(2017-02-09, 14:43)bidusfr Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I have a 2015 shield, connected to my amp trough HDMI cable, my amp is a yamaha RX-A3020 supporting TruHD and DTS MA. Amp is connected from the amp to my TV trough HDMI.

- Parameter "Sync Playback to display is set Off (otherwise pastrough does not work)
- Parameter "Delay after change of refresh rate is set to 2.5s (otherwise True HD or DTS MA Amp decoding does not start)

When is start a movie having a TrueHD or a DTS MA audio track, sounds came up after 5 to 20 seconds. During the no sound time my amp says "Decoder Off", of couyrse when sound came up Amp says "DTS-HD Hi Res".

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Bidus

Sounds exactly how it should work except the really long delay for the AVR to catch up.
hello Markus,

Thanks for you reply.

You are right, I think I'm doing it well, but how to reduce this long delay ?

I have check on my AVR parameters but nothing related with.

Hope someone have a solution.

Bidus
hello again,

No one has the same Issue as I have ?

Bidus

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Bidus
You'll probably have more luck checking with other Yamaha owners as this seems to be a issue probably caused by your AVR and not by Kodi. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receive...rocessors/

(2017-02-10, 14:47)bidusfr Wrote: [ -> ]hello again,

Bidus
(2017-02-10, 14:47)bidusfr Wrote: [ -> ]hello again,

Bidus

Only happens in Kodi ?
What about SPMC, PLEX ?

If is global issue to all media playback it can be related with the length of time the HDCP key exchange takes.
Hi I have 2 x 2015 Shield TV 16 GB.
1 is connected to Yamaha RX-V2067 receiver and my Samsung PS64D8000 1080p Plasma TV
1 is connected to Marantz SR5010 receiver and my Samsung KS7000 4k TV.

My problem is with the Shield on the 4k TV.
Before 5.02 update I could change colorspace to RGB and the had black good colors, but only 1080p.
After the new update my picture is grey. I'm comparing it to my 1080p TV and when entering Netflix the picture are very gray compared.
I have tried to change colorspace to RGB but it doesn't seem to change anything. I can still see HDR when using RGB 8 bit rec 709, which doesn't make sense, so I'm guessing it doesn't change after all..
My question are. How can I get the same good and crisp picture on my 4k TV like I have on my 1080p TV.
I have enabled deepcolor on 4k TV. If I change HDMI level on TV is gets even more grey.
Please help me, since it's very frustrating having bought a expensive 4k tv and still gets watched out colors.
I had read all the comparative, but I see mostly cosmetic changes, since it is smaller (2017).
Or for example that the control here allows to easily change the battery.

Worse still I do not know if something more important escapes me.
Thank you Smile
Hi I think i solved it. Tried and connect cable direct to tv, still same gray colors also with rgb. Then i changed black level from auto to full range and the the black colors becomes alive. So i ended up with 4k 59.9 Hz, rgb 8 bit, full range and now i get black colors, not gray. What i don't understand is that I can see HDR on Netflix still?

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Bidus

Hello, I use the following equipment:

- yamaha rx-a1020
- 8 year old samsung led tv
- shield tv

I do not have the problems you have with kodi krypton. Audio starts immediately behind the video with audio passthrough and the correct frame rate. Everything works really smooth. I use the same settings as you.

But I had another problem. Since Nougat I always got 640x480@60Hz after cold start. To get my favorite resolution of 1920x1080@50Hz I also always had to reboot.

It seems that the installation of a master-/slave-extension lead solved the issue. The avr is the master at this extension lead. It works as expected now, like with Marshmallow before. I get the correct resolution directly after a cold start.

The slave is started some milliseconds behind the master, but it seems to be enough for the resolution handshake.

Is this a known issue?

Greetings
Just got an email from Nvidia support that they are working on the HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 1.4 bug. There will soon be a new system update that does NOT include a fix. This has to wait for a later system update.
In the meantime they suggest to use an HDMI 1.4 input if your AVR offers one.
(2017-02-09, 13:34)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-08, 13:56)hansolo Wrote: [ -> ]2. I have 4k TV (Samsung HU7500) with HDMI 2.0 and AVR with HDMI 1.4. Shield>AVR>TV max resolution I have 4k 30hz and color space RGB 8 bit Rec 709, YCbCr 4:4:4 8 bit Rec 709 or YCbCr 4:2:2 12 bit Rec 709. Whatever resolution/color space I choose in Kodi or SPMC I can't have 4k GUI. If I connect Shield directly to TV I have 4k60 Hz resolution and 4k GUI in SPMC or Kodi, why I can't have it in 4k30hz?
Thanks
HDMI 1.4 is limited to 4K@30Hz Max (bandwidth limitation). The HDMI 1.4 AVR is what your Shield is HDMI Handshaking with and reading valid Display Modes from on Bootup.

The interesting test is going to be Netflix that needs HDCP 2.2 for 4K Streaming Output. Your 1.4 AVR will not have HDCP 2.2
Have a read here all about Mixed mode HDMI / HDCP connections with Netflix and Amazon Video in this Monoprice page:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242

Well, from that link Netflix will not work in 4k; also that converter it's not a downscaler.
Not even HDFury Integral it's sure will work with 1 HDMI 1.4 300Mhz and other 600Mhz HDMI 2.0, it requires a Linker. Best answer is here: avs forum

I solved at last 4k30p problem. I put cable to TV, selected 4k30p resolution on Shield and after that in Kodi and SPCM, change cable to AVR, change resolution in Shield to 4k30p and in Kodi/SPCM it appeared and stayed.
Many dubious things with reported GUI in Kodi/SPCM not that transmited to TV. A funny image sayes all: imgur
So I had 4k/24p resolution at TV and no option in GUI (reported Kodi resolution was 4k24p).
I tested if resolution is indeed 4k with patterns (alternate black/white 1px lines) and it's ok for now, just that changing GUI resolution doesn't change TV input (framerate changes).

I think advancedsettings.xml is mandatory, I had buffering issues (again, ethernet 1gb), after that no more buffering.
And one funny thing: opening a 24GB ISO (Spears and Munsil 2) from network or USB3 takes about 30-40 seconds in SPCM, 20 seconds in Kodi and 5 seconds on my old Egreat R6A2 (Realtek 1185).
Thanks.
(2017-02-11, 09:50)markus7 Wrote: [ -> ]Just got an email from Nvidia support that they are working on the HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 1.4 bug. There will soon be a new system update that does NOT include a fix. This has to wait for a later system update.
In the meantime they suggest to use an HDMI 1.4 input if your AVR offers one.

They told me the same about 10 months ago.