Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thank you djstx2003 for good explanation!

I guess we need to push Nvidia to fix this bug. Atleast I can live with it for a while and just enable/disable passthrough. But then about the refresh rate, i tried to do this: "refresh Rate to always and to put 3 seconds delay" but didnt help.

/Henrik

(2017-02-26, 20:19)djstx2003 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-26, 11:52)Henke123 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi

I have a Nvidia Shield from 2015 with the latest updates on it. Yesterday when I change to a new reciever/speakers I run into a issue with both Kodi 17 and SPMC 16.5.5.
What happens is that if I start a movie and want it to have passthrough i have to first disable it and then again enable it to get it working. I didnt have this problem before with old reciever.

I have always followed the recommended settings by SPMC from here: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/Reco...-Receivers

New reciever is a Denon x1300w.

Anyone got any ideas what I can test to fix this problem? Is there any needed settings for audio Passthrough on Nvidia OS?

my friend you are facing a known Nvidia Shield bug. the problem is that your Denon Avr-X1300W have Hdmi 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 interface.
Refresh rate switching doesn't work if the AVR is HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and the TV / display is HDMI/HDCP 1.4.
Also HD Passthrough have issues in Kodi 17 and latest Spmc.
To fix HD Passthrough and have audio recognized by Denon Avr you have to use Refresh Rate to always and to put 3 seconds delay in SPMC/KODI settings in Pause during refresh rate.
Now about Refresh rate switching that doesn't work I use A HDFury Integral between Shield and Denon Avr( I have Denon AVR-X4200W).
HDFury Integral is expensive but fixes all HDCP connection problems. You can also use a hdmi splitter switch with HDMI 1.3 compatibility that is cheaper than HDFury Integral.
I hope to make you understand the problem and how to fix.
I have already reported through feedback to Nvidia this problem (Refresh rate switching doesn't work if the AVR is HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and the TV / display is HDMI/HDCP 1.4)
but until 5.1 Shield firmware no fix for this.
Be well my friend. Spiros.
(2017-02-27, 10:50)Henke123 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you djstx2003 for good explanation!

I guess we need to push Nvidia to fix this bug. Atleast I can live with it for a while and just enable/disable passthrough. But then about the refresh rate, i tried to do this: "refresh Rate to always and to put 3 seconds delay" but didnt help.

/Henrik

I have a Nvidia Shield from 2015 with the latest updates on it. Yesterday when I change to a new reciever/speakers I run into a issue with both Kodi 17 and SPMC 16.5.5.
What happens is that if I start a movie and want it to have passthrough i have to first disable it and then again enable it to get it working. I didnt have this problem before with old reciever.

I have always followed the recommended settings by SPMC from here: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/Reco...-Receivers

Anyone got any ideas what I can test to fix this problem? Is there any needed settings for audio Passthrough on Nvidia OS?

my friend you are facing a known Nvidia Shield bug. the problem is that your Denon Avr-X1300W have Hdmi 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 interface.
Refresh rate switching doesn't work if the AVR is HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and the TV / display is HDMI/HDCP 1.4.
To fix HD Passthrough and have audio recognized by Denon Avr you have to use Refresh Rate to always and to put 3 seconds delay in SPMC/KODI settings in Pause during refresh rate.
Now about Refresh rate switching that doesn't work I use A HDFury Integral between Shield and Denon Avr( I have Denon AVR-X4200W).
HDFury Integral is expensive but fixes all HDCP connection problems. You can also use a hdmi splitter switch with HDMI 1.3 compatibility that is cheaper than HDFury Integral.
I have already reported through feedback to Nvidia this problem (Refresh rate switching doesn't work if the AVR is HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and the TV / display is HDMI/HDCP 1.4)

This fixed it for me.

enable 'expert' in the settings menu. Then, make the following changes:

Audio output device = Android, RAW Passthrough [or IEC if using the 16.6 beta and Shield firmware 5.0.x]
Number of channels = 7.1 [your receiver should be able to handle this input regardless of your actual speaker configuration. This number will be disregarded for any codec that your receiver supports for passthrough]
Output configuration = Best Match
Stereo upmix = off
Maintain original volume on downmix = on
Boost centre channel when downmixing = 0 dB
Resample quality = High
Keep audio devices alive = 10 Minutes [this will prevent your AVR from going to sleep]
Enable audio DSP processing = off
Enable passthrough = on
Passthrough output device = Android, RAW Passthrough [or IEC if using the 16.6 beta and Shield firmware 5.0.x]
Check your AVR receiver's user manual to confirm that it supports each of the following audio codecs and enable them accordingly:

Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver = on
Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC) capable receiver = on
DTS capable receiver = on
TrueHD capable receiver = on
DTS-HD capable receiver = on
(2017-02-27, 10:50)Henke123 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you djstx2003 for good explanation!

/Henrik

try 3.5 seconds in the settings or 4. also try to check with TV Hz program from playstore to see if you have all refresh rate options. if you don't see them try to unplug the power cable and after 5-10 seconds plug it again and see if you see all available refresh rates in TV Hz program. also see in your Avr in setup-information-video if refresh rate changes depending in the source files your are playing, like 23.976 fps, 25000 fps etc....
good luck!!!
Guys, I'm not sure how to explain the problem but let me try.
I'm having a strange problem, whenever I start/play a movie on KODI, my TV lose signals and shows no signal. Sometime display comes back in a short sec again it self sometime I need to press back button, come out of Movie and Kodi and then display comes back.
Some updates.

It seems now that my audio passthrough is working, not sure what causes this but for some reason now both KODI and SPMC will give passthrough to my reciever. I cant think of any settings i have changed to get it to work. I still have the recommended settings from SPMC. Anyhow one problem less.

Regarding refresh rate that is still an issue, I guess as you said its a bug in Nvidia.

- I downloaded the app TVHz from google play store and it only showed 60hz. I then restarted reciever, stil only showing 60hz. I then restarted Nvidia then it shows many different, 24, 30, 60 etc. I went into both KODI and SPMC and now i can change the refresh rate in system settings for display. But if i change it to 23.976, and play a movie with 23.976 my TV still says 1080 60P.

And if i go into Nvidia OS and change HZ, it automatically change it back to the recommended 59.***

(2017-02-27, 14:34)djstx2003 Wrote: [ -> ]

/Henrik

(2017-02-26, 20:19)djstx2003 Wrote: [ -> ]my friend you are facing a known Nvidia Shield bug. the problem is that your Denon Avr-X1300W have Hdmi 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 interface.

try 3.5 seconds in the settings or 4. also try to check with TV Hz program from playstore to see if you have all refresh rate options. if you don't see them try to unplug the power cable and after 5-10 seconds plug it again and see if you see all available refresh rates in TV Hz program. also see in your Avr in setup-information-video if refresh rate changes depending in the source files your are playing, like 23.976 fps, 25000 fps etc....
good luck!!!
(2017-02-27, 16:42)Henke123 Wrote: [ -> ]Some updates.

It seems now that my audio passthrough is working, not sure what causes this but for some reason now both KODI and SPMC will give passthrough to my reciever. I cant think of any settings i have changed to get it to work. I still have the recommended settings from SPMC. Anyhow one problem less.

Regarding refresh rate that is still an issue, I guess as you said its a bug in Nvidia.

- I downloaded the app TVHz from google play store and it only showed 60hz. I then restarted reciever, stil only showing 60hz. I then restarted Nvidia then it shows many different, 24, 30, 60 etc. I went into both KODI and SPMC and now i can change the refresh rate in system settings for display. But if i change it to 23.976, and play a movie with 23.976 my TV still says 1080 60P.

And if i go into Nvidia OS and change HZ, it automatically change it back to the recommended 59.***

/Henrik

good luck!!!

I have to start my nvidia shield slightly behind my avr to get framerateswitching to work. Solved this with a master-/slave-extension-lead. My avr is the master.

If I don't use this "ms ext lead" I always get a poor resolution of 640x480@60Hz after a cold boot and it's not possible to change the resolution or the frame rates. If I reboot the system after the cold boot again everything works as expected.

Now with this ext lead everything is flawless. Not the perfect out-of-the-box-solution, but it works. Wink

By the way, I didn't had this issue with marshmallow.

Greetings Hoppel
(2017-02-27, 16:42)Henke123 Wrote: [ -> ]Some updates.

/Henrik

good luck!!!

every change you make in shield for resolution or any other reboot shield so the setting stay. about refresh rates the correct is to see in TVHz all the available refresh rates.
if you see only 60HZ then you have problem. you need to unplug the power cable and plug it again to fix the rates but this is only temporary.
you need to have this like I do and forget all the problems:
https://www.hdfury.com/shop/splitters/in...44-600mhz/
you can also buy a hdmi splitter 1.3 compatibility to do almost same work.
now for Kodi / SPMC you don't need to change the refresh rate because it reads the setting you have in shield automatically and set it.
Talk about impressed, cruising the Shield the other day noticed some entertainment, clicked it without notice, and it brought up SPMC and started playing it. I've seen this using Plex on a voice search, but this is the first time I've seen this, be nice if SPMC was voice integrated into that search too.

Side note, Spotify is one of those extras I liked, past tense... it stopped, I deleted to re-install and now can't find it. Are they gone?
(2017-02-28, 23:03)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Talk about impressed, cruising the Shield the other day noticed some entertainment, clicked it without notice, and it brought up SPMC and started playing it. I've seen this using Plex on a voice search, but this is the first time I've seen this, be nice if SPMC was voice integrated into that search too.

Side note, Spotify is one of those extras I liked, past tense... it stopped, I deleted to re-install and now can't find it. Are they gone?

SPMC does support voice search, I use it all the time:

https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/How-...Android-TV
Guys, I'm facing 2 issues and do not understand why it's happening.
1. If I set "Playback->Adjust Display Refresh Rate" to "On Start/Stop" then when I play a movie display goes blank and I just hear sound and then I have to stop the movie to get the display back but next time if I play the same movie it plays ok.
2. In Kodi if I play a 4K movie (stored in my NAS) it keep buffering whereas the same movie plays without buffering if I stream from Plex.

Anyone can share what could be these issues?
New Shield 2015 user here, have a couple of questions. Sorry if they were asked before, I tried to check at least the recent pages but no luck. Shield 2015, build 5.1. Kodi 17 (from Play Store)

1/ My shield has a video gradient banding problem AND it refuses to accept any colorspace or refresh rate setting changes. If I change them in the Shield settings, (not Kodi) it switches display/color modes, asks me if this is OK (yes) and then for 0.3 seconds it shows the right setting only to jump back to the previous choice. Is there perhaps some way to fix this, either in Shield or in Kodi?

2/ Audio Video Sync. This one is very strange too. Basically Kodi starts its playback out of sync (image comes perhaps 0.3 seconds before audio), then after playing for a few seconds it fixes itself mostly.
The second 'mostly' is that there's still a little de-sync, after this correction. It is something I can fix with the Shield's own AV sync correction with the bouncing ball. (funny: the bouncing ball is fine with no correction, but I have to 'break' the ball sync to fix the Kodi desync).

Thoughts?
It's possible to sync audio/video in kodi.

Play a movie, press ok, go to settings, audio and subtitle settings, configure the audio offset. After that scroll down to "set as default for all media".

Greetings Hoppel
(2017-03-01, 00:25)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]It's possible to sync audio/video in kodi.
Play a movie, press ok, go to settings, audio and subtitle settings, configure the audio offset. After that scroll down to "set as default for all media".

Thanks hoppel- I'm aware of the function, but my main problem is the fact that the 'initial' AV desync is different than the AV sync after a little while. I can correct the 'final' problem, but it takes some seconds before it finds it final stage. Also I need to do some more testing but the 'final desync' seems to even vary a little between playbacks. Ack.
(2017-02-28, 23:03)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Side note, Spotify is one of those extras I liked, past tense... it stopped, I deleted to re-install and now can't find it. Are they gone?

I don't use it but I looked and don't see it in the Play Store (in the US).
(2017-03-01, 01:19)timstephens24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-28, 23:03)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]Side note, Spotify is one of those extras I liked, past tense... it stopped, I deleted to re-install and now can't find it. Are they gone?

I don't use it but I looked and don't see it in the Play Store (in the US).

The Play Store for Android TV has been screwed up for a while, but you can go to the Play Store from a browser and push it to the Shield. https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...tv.android