Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My setup: Hisense 55M5500, Marantz 7011, NSATV 16Gb 2015. Same order in firing them on: Tv, 7 seconds Avr, 5 seconds Shield. All settings available on the Shield. BUT I prefer leaving NSATV on a spare 4k input on Tv set.
Regards
Alessandro

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00AD utilizzando Tapatalk
(2017-03-06, 22:16)maxelm2 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello. I have a problem. I have a Nvidia Shield TV 2015 16Gb and TV Philips 42PFL3007(Nvidia Shield Recomend 59fps) connect coaxial to Denon AVR 1705.

Previously software 3.1 SPMC 16.5.5 works excellent audio passthrough and IEC,RAW audio formats(DD,DTS) i have ALL. Red indicator flash in amplituners.

Software 5.1 and SPMC(16.5.5 and 16.6.0)did not work nothing audio formats, switch IEC, RAW i dont have DD, DTS.

TIP not working: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/Reco...-Receivers

Just a few things I picked up:

Some receivers require even longer pause than 3sec.
But more importantly- if your receiver can handle LPCM, kodi is pretty good at decoding many audio formats. I turned off passthrough (worked OK for me but had AV sync issues and indeed occasional silence) and now everything is great.
Quick update on my own situation:

I still can't get the proper colorspace to work - I see a fairly strong 'banding' effect. Main problem seems to be that in the main nvidia settings, I can select a different colorspace, but changing the setting doesn't stick - shield immediately switches back to 'previous' after I confirm I can see the screen properly.

Is this a bug in shield? [/b]
Or is this a bug in my TV (perhaps claiming it can't handle that colorspace?)

Help? Does anyone perhaps know if there's a way to write display settings directly into a shield configfile on the device somewhere?

My audio issues stopped once I switched off passthrough, the LPCM surround works perfectly.
Hi guys, just a quick dumb question. It's more related to Kodi but I do want to know how it's working on the shield. My Amp (Logitech z906 + HDMI Toslink audio extractor) can only decode DTS and plain DD (AC3). Hence I have enabled pass-through and ticked that it's dts and dolby digital capable receiver in audio settings. However I have played some videos which only have E-AC3 soundtrack and hence only stereo was passed to my amp. Once I also ticked the option for AC3 transcoding everything was fine, the amp showed that it was decoding a track and not just outputting stereo. And now my question, is everything now transcoded to AC3 even DTS tracks or those are passed unaltered?

Thanks a lot in advance.
(2017-03-06, 21:08)rodalpho Wrote: [ -> ]You should be able to go to settings, apps, find Kodi, then delete all data and cache. That will reset it.

I'm not at home so I can't check the exact path to get there, but you should be able to find it.

(2017-03-06, 21:13)cscoppa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-06, 21:08)rodalpho Wrote: [ -> ]You should be able to go to settings, apps, find Kodi, then delete all data and cache. That will reset it.

I'm not at home so I can't check the exact path to get there, but you should be able to find it.

Here's the path for Kodi (SPMC is similar but in its own folder)

\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi

I have Clear Data (192mb) and Clear Cache (0 B). Clearing the data doesn't seem to do anything. Uninstalling the app leaves 192mb of data in the org.xbmc.kodi folder, and I can't delete it manually via ES File Explorer (or another file app that I've forgotten the name of).

Re-installing Kodi from the play store does the same thing. I get the first-run splash screen, then it kicks me back to the home screen. After that it just hangs.
(2017-03-09, 11:05)ionutm80 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, just a quick dumb question. It's more related to Kodi but I do want to know how it's working on the shield. My Amp (Logitech z906 + HDMI Toslink audio extractor) can only decode DTS and plain DD (AC3). Hence I have enabled pass-through and ticked that it's dts and dolby digital capable receiver in audio settings. However I have played some videos which only have E-AC3 soundtrack and hence only stereo was passed to my amp. Once I also ticked the option for AC3 transcoding everything was fine, the amp showed that it was decoding a track and not just outputting stereo. And now my question, is everything now transcoded to AC3 even DTS tracks or those are passed unaltered?

Thanks a lot in advance.

I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but as far as I'm aware Kodi does not encode anything. If it detects a format that your amplifier can accept then that will be passed through to the amplifier, Everything else it decodes and then sends uncompressed (LPCM) to the amplifier.

If your amplifier is weird and doesn't support LPCM at all, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.
(2017-03-13, 01:05)puntloos Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but as far as I'm aware Kodi does not encode anything. If it detects a format that your amplifier can accept then that will be passed through to the amplifier, Everything else it decodes and then sends uncompressed (LPCM) to the amplifier.

If your amplifier is weird and doesn't support LPCM at all, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Actually Kodi does have a Dolby Digital encoder in it. This allows AAC, FLAC etc. multichannel audio files to be played on devices that only support SPDIF bandwith audio and can thus only bitstream DD or DTS and PCM 2.0. Without the Dolby Digital encode/transcode option SPDIF Toslink/Coax amps would only be able to play multichannel FLAC, AAC etc. stuff in PCM 2.0. The option also allows playback of DTS content on systems that don't support DTS and only support Dolby (not many of those around - but there are a few I believe)

I believe it will also allow E-AC3 (aka DD+) 5.1 content to be transcoded to DD 5.1.

(The option appears under DD/AC3 passthrough if you have your audio output configured for 2.0 - unless this option is platform specific?)

This option has renewed popularity for Live TV now too - since passthrough is no longer supported for Live TV, and instead PCM decode is used. If you don't have a 5.1 PCM solution, and only have Toslink / Coax SPDIF, previously you got 5.1 DD bitstreamed if you watched a 5.1 DD TV show. Now you get 5.1 PCM or 2.0 PCM if you have only got SPDIF quality connectivity UNLESS you enable Dolby Transcode, where the 5.1 Dolby Digital is decoded and then recoded back to DD 5.1...
I might be missing something,

but when I watch something in Kodi,

after bit of idle time (or actually watching something),

the game controller refuses to work in Kodi... tried this :http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:NVIDIA_SHIELD_controller_on_Windows_7

still hangs.... Any ideas?
FYI, another info about HD audio passthrough : I followed guidelines and used IEC output in SPMC settings, but that lead to no audio.
Switched to RAW output and voilĂ . Quite surprised about this.
(2017-02-21, 09:53)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Q. I am seeing a strange small preview circle on the right centre of the screen ?
Your system is infected !
Its called the free ES File Explorer App. Which has now turned into the most annoying Adware, Bloatware, Spyware App on the Google Play Store. Uninstall it right away and use the X-Plore or Total Commander Apps instead.

Then warn others in the Google Play Store and Vote the ES File Explorer App 1 Star. Sad

Hi wrxtasy

The same about Es File Explorer PRO? It is also bloatware or this not showing ADs is not the same.
I would be very useful the integration that has with Cloud Services and be able to focus everything in the same application, which I like more than X-Plorer or Total Commander.

Thanks
(2017-03-13, 02:45)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-13, 01:05)puntloos Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure I understand your question completely, but as far as I'm aware Kodi does not encode anything. If it detects a format that your amplifier can accept then that will be passed through to the amplifier, Everything else it decodes and then sends uncompressed (LPCM) to the amplifier.

Actually Kodi does have a Dolby Digital encoder in it. This allows AAC, FLAC etc. multichannel audio files to be played on devices that only support SPDIF bandwith audio and can thus only bitstream DD or DTS and PCM 2.0. Without the Dolby Digital encode/transcode option SPDIF Toslink/Coax amps would only be able to play multichannel FLAC, AAC etc. stuff in PCM 2.0. The option also allows playback of DTS content on systems that don't support DTS and only support Dolby (not many of those around - but there are a few I believe)

I believe it will also allow E-AC3 (aka DD+) 5.1 content to be transcoded to DD 5.1.

(The option appears under DD/AC3 passthrough if you have your audio output configured for 2.0 - unless this option is platform specific?)

This option has renewed popularity for Live TV now too - since passthrough is no longer supported for Live TV, and instead PCM decode is used. If you don't have a 5.1 PCM solution, and only have Toslink / Coax SPDIF, previously you got 5.1 DD bitstreamed if you watched a 5.1 DD TV show. Now you get 5.1 PCM or 2.0 PCM if you have only got SPDIF quality connectivity UNLESS you enable Dolby Transcode, where the 5.1 Dolby Digital is decoded and then recoded back to DD 5.1...

Huh. Interesting. So in what cases will kodi send LPCM and in what cases will it encode to DD?
For what it's worth I strongly prefer kodi not to re-encode everything, since quality loss is inevitable with lossy formats.
(2017-03-13, 02:45)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]I believe it will also allow E-AC3 (aka DD+) 5.1 content to be transcoded to DD 5.1.

Hi and thanks for your reply. With output configured for 2.0, enabled DD/AC3 capable receiver and DD/AC3 transcoding I do get 5.1 AC3 from E-AC3 (DD+) with Kodi which is fantastic. My question was whether ticking the option of DD/AC3 transcoding (which I need for some live TV with DD+) also overrides enabling the DTS pass-through or not. I prefer that everything which is AC3 or DTS to be passed as it is and only E-AC3 (DD+) to be transcoded to plain AC3.
(2017-03-14, 10:09)ionutm80 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-13, 02:45)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]I believe it will also allow E-AC3 (aka DD+) 5.1 content to be transcoded to DD 5.1.

Hi and thanks for your reply. With output configured for 2.0, enabled DD/AC3 capable receiver and DD/AC3 transcoding I do get 5.1 AC3 from E-AC3 (DD+) with Kodi which is fantastic. My question was whether ticking the option of DD/AC3 transcoding (which I need for some live TV with DD+) also overrides enabling the DTS pass-through or not. I prefer that everything which is AC3 or DTS to be passed as it is and only E-AC3 (DD+) to be transcoded to plain AC3.

I think if you enable DTS passthrough this will bitstream DTS audio and avoid re-encoding. If you disable DTS passthrough AND have AC3/DD transcode AND 2.0 audio output configured (the DD/AC3 transcode option won't appear otherwise) then you will get DTS decoded and reencoded as DD/AC3.
(2017-03-13, 16:50)puntloos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-13, 02:45)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]

Huh. Interesting. So in what cases will kodi send LPCM and in what cases will it encode to DD?

You will get PCM output for mono and stereo sources, and then anything >2.0 (i.e, multichanne) will be re-encoded as Dolby Digital multichannel.

It's a simple solution for people who only have SPDIF Toslink/Coax digital audio paths (or HDMI paths limited to the same level) and don't have support for multichannel PCM output or bitstreaming of HD Audio (or in some cases DTS). This is true for people with legacy AVRs without HDMI, people who watch via their TV using ARC, people who have Kodi hardware that doesn't support HD Audio/PCM Multichannel etc.

It's a great solution for them - as they retain the ability to listen to multichannel AAC, FLAC (and DTS if they don't have DTS compatible gear). It's now even more important for Live TV - as DD passthrough has been disable for Live TV in recent Kodi builds, so if you only have a SPDIF-level set-up, you either get stereo decode or a DD re-encode.

Quote:For what it's worth I strongly prefer kodi not to re-encode everything, since quality loss is inevitable with lossy formats.

Absolutely - but if it's a case of that or not having multichannel audio at all - I'd go with the re-encode. It's a high bitrate DD encode (640k I think), so it won't introduce horrific concatenation artefacts... (If it were 256k 5.1 I'd wince. I had a DVD with that quality encode - and now know what 5.1 AM radio would sound like...)
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has come across this...I just tried RC1 of Krypton on my 2015 Shield TV. I have it hooked into my Samsung UHD TV. I have the shield set at 4K but if I try and change the gui in Krypton to 4K it either immediately freezes, or it blacks out, comes back still set at 1080p and freezes. I have tried different refresh rates, uhd colour, even switched hdmi ports. It just won't switch. For comparison, SPMC is running fine in 4K. Any help or suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

dreamer