Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone been able to confirm if the new Shield's will decode and play 10-bit HEVC videos encoded with chroma subsampling of 4:2:2 or 4:4:4

Here's a some test videos

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wya2as6mdxybne...4.mkv?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixdyb4e6fwxrvp...2.mkv?dl=0
(2017-03-18, 22:22)aiko Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone been able to confirm if the new Shield's will decode and play 10-bit HEVC videos encoded with chroma subsampling of 4:2:2 or 4:4:4

Here's a some test videos

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wya2as6mdxybne...4.mkv?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixdyb4e6fwxrvp...2.mkv?dl=0

Don't think there will be hardware acceleration - will depend on the CPU power (unless there is some CUDA cleverness separate to the normal hardware acceleration that is usually 4:2:0 only)
I have Kodi Krypton set up and working on the Shield Pro. I still have one big problem and that's getting Kodi to work with my old Logitech Harmony 659 remote. I can only program this remote using their Harmony Remote Software (v7.7.0) on a Windows PC, not via a Web interface.

What device(s) do I need to set up using this software, and how can I get the familiar keyboard shortcuts that I used to use with Kodi on Windows? For example, "T" to toggle subtitles, "W" to toggle watched/unwatched, and "M" for menu? Are these shortcuts used with Kodi on the Shield platform? Getting and then toggling subtitles is extremely important to me since my hearing is very poor. Any help greatly appreciated. Please-n-thanks.
(2017-03-19, 07:25)DXer Wrote: [ -> ]I have Kodi Krypton set up and working on the Shield Pro. I still have one big problem and that's getting Kodi to work with my old Logitech Harmony 659 remote. I can only program this remote using their Harmony Remote Software (v7.7.0) on a Windows PC, not via a Web interface.

What device(s) do I need to set up using this software, and how can I get the familiar keyboard shortcuts that I used to use with Kodi on Windows? For example, "T" to toggle subtitles, "W" to toggle watched/unwatched, and "M" for menu? Are these shortcuts used with Kodi on the Shield platform? Getting and then toggling subtitles is extremely important to me since my hearing is very poor. Any help greatly appreciated. Please-n-thanks.

Unfortunately with an IR only remote you will not be able to set any extra commands. You have 2 choices, upgrade your remote to an newer Harmony Bluetooth remote or add a Flirc.
I have the FLIRC on my existing HTPC and it's a lifesaver. Will the same commands work on the Shield (i.e. if I copy my saved FLIRC profile)?
Yay! Just picked up a new AVR (Denon X3300W) and I finally can move to HDMI for my audio lol. TV is still 1.4 so I guess I'll have to get a Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter 2.2 to 1.4 from Monoprice.
Hello People. I have a Shield 2017. Can someone tell if you can set password to control access for kids? Does anyone know if you can block adult content on Kodi krypton? My brother has seen the setup and really wants one. Thing is he wants kids control like parental controls.

ThankYou - Bhoot[emoji769]
I have a large collection of CDs. In the past, I have used a mini pc, running Kodibuntu. I would like to try a newer version of Kodi. Can either of the nVidia Shields rip CDs? (with the use of an external CD drive of course!)

Thanks in advance.
Hi folks,
Some MASSIVE problems with Kodi on the Shield tonight that I need urgent help with. I installed a 4TB USB drive to the Shield. Not only can I not connect to the drive (a problem I could live with until I solved it), but as soon as I connected it and shared it, my entire installation of KODI evaporated. Days worth of perfect configuration were destroyed instantly. I re-added my usual skin and library temporarily to play something, but after I did so, I tried to solve the external drive problem and once again, the KODI installation went away.

I still don't have the storage problem fixed (I can see the \\SHIELD device on my Windows 7 PC but not the drive, I cannot see or create any folders. I'm deathly afraid of touching anything with the new 4TB drive for fear of destroying Kodi once again.

1) Is there any way to fully back up every aspect of KODI on the Shield in case this happens again?
2) Is there any way to fully back up and restore the entire SHIELD device? If something goes bad, I need to be able to do a fast restore.
3) Any clue how to move my library over to the NVIDIA external USB drive? I would rather not stream large video files over a Gigabit LAN connection. It's FAR too slow.
4) Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong with my storage?

I'm completely dead in the water until I can solve this. I won't do another full KODI load until I know it won't get destroyed if the USB drive disconnects...that's just insane.
The .kodi folder is everything you have changed and add-ons you put into Kodi. Just copy that folder and save it some where safe.

On Android you can find it under /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi

If you are installing Kodi fresh, run it once, then exit out. Then copy the .kodi folder that you save to the new one Kodi made under the directory above.

Instant Kodi, with all the changes you've made.
By the way, my Kodi just auto-updated to Kodi 17.1 today, so, I guess it's final now. Can't wait to read all the changes and fixes that went into this version (I'll be checking the SMB issues myself).
(2017-03-21, 03:35)DXer Wrote: [ -> ]3) Any clue how to move my library over to the NVIDIA external USB drive? I would rather not stream large video files over a Gigabit LAN connection. It's FAR too slow.

I've already answered you in the Nvidia forum. But if your Gig network is too slow to stream then you have problems with your network. Full blu-ray streams only requires 48Mb/s max (that's a little "b" bits), and the Shield has been tested with 100Mb/s streams without issue.
(2017-03-21, 04:41)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-21, 03:35)DXer Wrote: [ -> ]3) Any clue how to move my library over to the NVIDIA external USB drive? I would rather not stream large video files over a Gigabit LAN connection. It's FAR too slow.

I've already answered you in the Nvidia forum. But if your Gig network is too slow to stream then you have problems with your network. Full blu-ray streams only requires 48Mb/s max (that's a little "b" bits), and the Shield has been tested with 100Mb/s streams without issue.

I'm getting 28 Mbps when moving files. It says to move my entire movie library will take 28 hours.
Problems are spiraling out of control on the Shield for me now, as I outlined on the other thread. I have four 16-18 hour days in this. It was just perfect until 6pm tonight when the misadventures in local file storage came up.

@Powerhouse made some suggestions about moving folders. I have NO clue how to do this. Please talk me through this like I was an 8 year old. I have a mostly-working installation of Krypton 17.0 on my Windows 7 box. I have a now-totally-messed-up and non-bootable instance of Krypton 17.1 on my Shield. That is the sum total of my knowledge of how this works. Period. I don't want to use Plex or any other apps to do anything else. Kodi will be the ONLY thing that I ever intend to run on the Shield. I need this to be bulletproof.
(2017-03-21, 08:17)DXer Wrote: [ -> ]I'm getting 28 Mbps when moving files. It says to move my entire movie library will take 28 hours.
Problems are spiraling out of control on the Shield for me now, as I outlined on the other thread. I have four 16-18 hour days in this. It was just perfect until 6pm tonight when the misadventures in local file storage came up.

@Powerhouse made some suggestions about moving folders. I have NO clue how to do this. Please talk me through this like I was an 8 year old. I have a mostly-working installation of Krypton 17.0 on my Windows 7 box. I have a now-totally-messed-up and non-bootable instance of Krypton 17.1 on my Shield. That is the sum total of my knowledge of how this works. Period. I don't want to use Plex or any other apps to do anything else. Kodi will be the ONLY thing that I ever intend to run on the Shield. I need this to be bulletproof.

Then you should attach the drive to your PC and stream to the Shield. You are not going to get much better write speeds than that since the Shield is not a PC and there are limitations with Android. You'll do much better having your drive attached to the PC so you can manage the files there and then stream to the Shield.

I'm also going to post your reply from the Nvidia forum here so I don't have to keep going back and forth.

DXer (from Nvidia forum) Wrote:The idea is I play them only on the Shield and they're stored entirely on the Shield. The only time they ever see another PC is when I'm ripping or otherwise copying the media to the Shield. It's far easier for me to work on a PC, but I only watch content in the home theater.

Kodi has now crashed at least a dozen times since I first powered up the Shield. It's currently unusable and the only way I know if to get it back is to uninstall and reinstall, which is tomorrow's job. Killing the process from within the Shield or even rebooting the Shield doesn't fix it. I'm very close to sending this back for a full refund. It's far, FAR more problematic than the Windows 7 machine it replaced, and that had regularly-crashing OS problems on a weekly basis.

In 2017 you'd think it would be dirt simple to have a locked-down-tight Kodi with just 4 folders of media on one drive. But apparently that's too much to ask. I simply don't know what I'm doing wrong and that's the most frustrating part.

I still can't even get a single PC to ***FIND*** the Shield on the network. I can only access is with the UNC path. Every other PC, Mac and Linux-based NAS in the house shows instantly, the shield does not. I would frankly pay a very handsome sum to have this set up properly and locked down tight, backed up and saved so that when is screws up again it's a 10 minute fix. I'm not a computer person, and I don't want to be a system administrator just to watch TV and movies.

If you're having issues with Kodi then you need to post a Debug log (wiki) <<click the link.

The Shield is a Android device not a PC and you can't treat it like a PC. It also means there is a learning curve that comes with it's use. If you aren't aware of it's limitations and what you need to do to make things work then it's going to be frustrating because what you think you should be able to do isn't always straight forward. This is not the specific fault of the Shield, it's because of Android is designed for mobile and even though Android TV is developed for TVs, it's still Android underneath.

But if you're willing to learn what you can and can't do and what best practices are to get things running, then there are plenty of people here that will help. The first thing to do though is to figure out why you are having issues with Kodi, which is not normal, and that starts with a Debug log (wiki).

EDIT: By the way, do you have ES File Explorer installed? If you do then that is going to cause you issues (some of which you may be experiencing) and you should uninstall it before you do anything else.
@DXer Sorry to here you are having problems. So here is some help for you (hopefully).

The issue with the copy speed can be a number of issues...
1. The Nvidia Shield TV USB ports are USB3, make sure you have a USB3 rated cable that connects to your External HDD.
2. Is your External HDD USB3? If not, expect slower speeds.
3. If you have a USB3 cable, and External HDD, then try using the other port on the back of the Nvidia Shield TV.
4. You didn't mention how much data you are copying, and from what devices are you copying from. If from Windows copying to the Shield TV, there are lots of settings in Windows you can change to speed up your copying speed. For example...

Open "My Computer" or "Computer" from your (Start) Menu or Button.
Right-click the external Hard disk drive from the list and select "properties"
Click the "Hardware" tab.
Highlight the drive your having problems with from the drive list and click on "Properties".
Click on the "Policies" tab (might need to click the Change Settings button to get to the "Policies" tab).
You will see two radio buttons - "Optimize for quick removal" and "optimize for performance".
If not selected, select .."Optimize for performance" and click on "OK" (external.hard drive drive) If running Vista or Windows 7 also check "enable write caching on the disk"(Internal hard drives).
Click on "OK" and exit.. make sure it's done on both hard drives (assuming you are copying from a Windows Drive to another Windows Drive).

Check this post out on how to share Hard Drives attached to your Nvidia Shield TV...

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...-with-a-pc

Also, here is a Youtube video that might make it easier for you to see whats going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tBiKC9s66A