Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@wesk05 - damn, thanks for running the tests. It's nice to see numbers behind my eyes making me think I was going crazy.
(2017-05-18, 10:37)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]@timstephens24, @ggp759: Looks like I have to eat my words. There is definitely something wrong with the Shield's 10/12-bit output. There is a difference between the native Photos & Videos app and other video players. 8/10-bit output is OK with Photos & Videos, but 12-bit isn't. Only 8-bit output is accurate for Kodi. I have no idea why there is this difference between the native video player and the other video players (Kodi, SPMC, MrMC, Vimu, Archos etc.) All use MediaCodec (Surface) rendering. The tables below only show the values for primary & secondary colors. I have checked 21-point grayscale and classic color checker patterns (8 & 10-bit) and they all show similar errors.

Values that deviate from reference by more than 10 are in red. Up Sampled is 8-bit pattern to 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 (table 2) and 10-bit pattern to 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 (table 4).

Thanks so much for this.At least am not crazy! I was seeing those color errors especially on skin tones as i said before with 10-bit and 12-bit playing back even playing content encoded for that bit depth. Returning the shield unfortunately.Its not up to the task at least for my needs. Thanks a lot again for this.
(2017-05-18, 17:40)ggp759 Wrote: [ -> ]Returning the shield unfortunately.

I'm definitely keeping mine. It's my Plex Server and now my Channels DVR server (as of last night). I basically only leave it at 1080p @ 444 YCbCr since everything I have is 1080p, and then use my TV apps to watch 4k Netflix and Amazon Videos, which seems to be better quality (Dolby Vision too) than the Shield. The hardware transcoding on the Shield is awesome for when work sends me around to different places.
(2017-05-18, 10:37)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]..There is definitely something wrong with the Shield's 10/12-bit output. There is a difference between the native Photos & Videos app and other video players. 8/10-bit output is OK with Photos & Videos, but 12-bit isn't. Only 8-bit output is accurate for Kodi.
@wesk05, so is the 10bit output from HDR Netflix and HDR Amazon Apps accurate (enough) as well vs Kodi ?
(2017-05-19, 04:49)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]@wesk05, so is the 10bit output from HDR Netflix and HDR Amazon Apps accurate (enough) as well vs Kodi ?

Based on this Netflix Test pattern, I can't quite say that it is accurate. Luma (Y) is correct but the Chroma components are not. The Cb and Cr ramps (64-960) are actually 120-900 and 260-760 respectively. I am not sure what values the two color bars at the top and bottom actually represent. They don't seem to match SMPTE numbers or 100% amp/sat.
are you using a hdfury+dvdo tpg to do this?
(2017-05-19, 09:43)Soli Wrote: [ -> ]are you using a hdfury+dvdo tpg to do this?
No, Astrodesign VA-1842 analyzer. You can't use the DVDO TPG, it doesn't support 10-bit 4K 50/60Hz YCbCr 4:2:0.
(2017-05-18, 17:40)ggp759 Wrote: [ -> ]Returning the shield unfortunately.Its not up to the task at least for my needs. Thanks a lot again for this.

In terms of software updates the Nvidia Shield is unbeatable.
While the other Media players are struggling with support and skipping Android Versions the Nvidia is getting the latest Android O

Nvidia Shield TV Release date - May 2015

Android 5.1 Lollipop
Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Android 7.0 Nougat
Android O (soon)

Long version

What does it mean "soon"? What is your source especially for the shield?

Android O looks really nice!

Greetings Hoppel
(2017-05-20, 11:02)hoppel118 Wrote: [ -> ]What does it mean "soon"? What is your source especially for the shield?

"Soon" is as soon as possible. https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/05...um=twitter
Really crazy! Wink

Thank you both for that information.
Well, nobody really knows when O will get released on the Shield, but a safe assumption is that it will probably follow N's release.

Google will finalize it probably around Aug. or Sept. and it will get released on the Shield some months later. The one thing that will most likely be a sure thing is that the Shield will be the first non-Google Android TV device to receive the update.
I'm going to guess next January/February, so there's still a long time before it's out.
I updated my original post. I was using an incorrect pattern file for testing YCbCr 4:2:0 output. Now, it looks like 8 & 10 bit outputs are accurate. However, there are some insignificant differences between Kodi and Photos & Videos outputs. Based on these tests, I wouldn't advise anyone to use Shield's 12-bit output mode. It has errors that may be noticeable.
Having a weird shares issue. New computer with Windows 10 Creators Update. 2015 Nvidia Shield with both clean and up to date Kodi & SPMC installed. Neither see the computer in SMB share. I installed Kodi 17 on the computer and it saw the share via Windows Network SMB normally right away, no issue.

After reading I added the IRPStackSize reg value and was able to get it to see a share via "Add network location" but it still won't show the computer under Windows Network SMB share. When I'm adding under network location manually it's using SMB and I'm manually adding the computer name and share folder, so it's the same protocol ... any idea why the computer will work manually under add network location but won't show up under Windows Network (SMB)" and yes, all my network sharing it set up correctly.