Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-17, 19:44)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-17, 19:17)PantsOnFire Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see how it could really.

By saying, "Ok Google, play Suicide Squad on Kodi", or "launch Kodi". Pretty much the same way it's suppose to work with Netflix.
Google Assistant also understand suppose context and should be able follow a thread, so if you first say "Ok Google, launch Kodi" and then once Kodi have launched you say "Ok Google, show Suicide Squad" then you should not need to add the "on Kodi" suffix.

This works good for search via Google Home today, so you can say "Ok Google, who holds the record for men's 100 meter dash" and then after Google Home gives the answer you can ask follow-up questions such as "Ok Google, how old is he" and such.

Not sure how well this will work with apps such as Netflix and Kodi.
I did some further testing with the Shield on Geforce Experience 5.0 (Android 7.0 Nougat), SPMC 16.5.5, in combination with a HDMI 2.0 receiver and a HDMI 1.4 display.

Selectable refresh rates in Settings/System/Display: 50 fps, 59.4 fps and 60 fps.

Refresh rate switching behavior on 59.4 fps:

23.976 fps - unsuccessful refresh rate switch, frame rate remains at 59.4 fps
24 fps - unsuccessful refresh rate switch, refresh rate switch is triggered but new refresh rate is 60 fps
25 fps - successful refresh rate switch, new refresh rate is 50 fps (I guess, doubling the fps is standard practice?)
29.97 fps - frame rate remains at 59.4 fps (I guess, doubling the fps is standard practice?)
50 fps - successful refresh rate switch, new refresh rate is indeed 50 fps
59.4 fps - frame rate remains at 59.4 fps, successful refresh rate switch when refresh rate is set to 60 fps or 50 fps beforehand, new refresh rate is then indeed 59.4 fps
60 fps - successful refresh rate switch, new refresh rate is indeed 60 fps
(2017-01-18, 12:46)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion these need to be listed as a known ongoing issues on Page #1
Particularly considering new AVR upgrades will very likely be HDMI 2.0 Spec.

I'll do a known issues once the update drops for the 2015 models in a "week or so", since I don't know how that's going to be handled, whether it's just for 2015 or if they'll also update the 2017 models again. The later is probably unlikely, but then I don't know.
I hope I am in the right spot. I want to migrate to the Shield. But I want to make sure it works in my existing setup. I am only familiar with Windows Desktop.

1. All my movies are on external drives - will I be able to hook up my external drives?
2. My current media center is on my Home Group. I move movies from one computer where I rip them to this one over my network. Will the Shield show up in my home group?
3. My movies are backed up with a backup routine nightly to MyBooks. Can I do that with shield?
4. The sound from my media center goes through my Pioneer Theater Center and then to my 5.1 speaker arrangement. It hooks up with HDMI - good with shield?
5. My control is a Logitec Harmony - it controls my media center but other things as well. Compatible with shield?

I figure people here know the answers to all of the above and if this works just like my windows media center then it looks like this is the box for me.
We reported the bugs with hdcp 2.2 and hdcp 1.4 devices in the beta and it's been an issue for well over a year. It's way worse now though as you can't change resolution or color space. I can only use the shield with a full hdcp 2.2 chain.

The color space defaulting to rgb is fixed now though.

There are also issues with the remote going in a sort of sleep mode, requiring a number of button presses to wake up and respond. This was also reported during beta.
nVIDIA releases their beta to testers very late in development. I have also noticed that many a times their developers aren't actually aware of the bugs. This is one of the reasons that I don't do beta testing anymore for them. I just felt like I was wasting my time!
(2017-01-18, 18:16)Matalo Wrote: [ -> ]We reported the bugs with hdcp 2.2 and hdcp 1.4 devices in the beta and it's been an issue for well over a year. It's way worse now though as you can't change resolution or color space. I can only use the shield with a full hdcp 2.2 chain.

The color space defaulting to rgb is fixed now though.

There are also issues with the remote going in a sort of sleep mode, requiring a number of button presses to wake up and respond. This was also reported during beta.

Its a techonoly problem not a BUG from the Shield.

The PS4 pro also has this problem along with other players on the Market....Blame HDCP 2.2

Quote:HDCP was developed by Intel to secure the transmission of high-definition digital content as it travels across cables from Blu-ray players, satellite receivers, cable boxes, AV receivers, and other home-entertainment components to a display. The aim is to prevent someone from plugging a Blu-ray player into a digital recorder to make a copy of a movie.

While DRM (digital rights management) encrypts the content itself, HCDP secures the cable between the source and the “sink”—the TV, monitor, or the video projector that display the content. The source exchanges encryption keys with the sink in a handshake, and if the keys aren’t in agreement, you don’t get a picture.

Quote:While that’s bad news for bad guys, it’s a potential headache for the rest of us, too. HDCP 2.2 is not backward compatible with the previous versions of HDCP that are currently used by most of the HD devices in all our homes. Thanks to its ignominious track record of exploitations, the protocol required a clean refresh, and since it's implemented at the hardware level, manufacturers can't simply release new firmware to bring old gear up to speed.

Heres a very basic and simple explanation why the refresh rates or resolution in some systems will not work properlly in the Nvidia Shield when theres a Hdmi 2.0 device between the Display Hdmi 1.4 and the Shield hdmi 2.0

The source comunicates with Display and receive the Supports video resolutions by the display.

If theres a Receiver HDMI 2.0 in between, it can "confuse" the Shield when the HDCP 2.2 dont match the other HDMI in the chain, leading to audio or the refresh rates issues in some apps like Netflix, Kodi, SPMC etc.

Theres not immediate solution, some brand of receiver manufactures might work better than others...
(2017-01-18, 18:36)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]Its a technology problem not a BUG from the Shield.

The PS4 pro also has this problem along with other players on the Market....Blame HDCP 2.2
Someone may need to test this possible solution...

HDCP 2.2 Shield > HDCP 2.2 AVR > Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4 > HDMI 1.4 Display

I had a very similar Refresh switching problem (as well as no audio) when my 4K TV was handshaking with incorrect HDCP 2.2 data to a HDCP 2.2 4K Netflix capable WeTek Hub running Marshmallow.
The solution was an easy fix in my case. A Firmware upgrade of the TV fixed the HDCP 2.2 handshaking problems.

I could not even get a Picture with the HDCP 2.2 Mi Box at one stage until a TV Firmware upgrade.
(2017-01-18, 18:36)couto27 Wrote: [ -> ]Its a techonoly problem not a BUG from the Shield
It was working fine before! What changed is how the Shield enforces and polls HDCP status. It used to be that HDCP was enforced only when the content required DRM. That changed with update 3.1 and now HDCP is enforced as soon as you see the Android logo during boot. It doesn't look like nVIDIA will change this and so, this refresh rate switching issue will remain for ever.

(2017-01-18, 19:00)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Someone may need to test this possible solution...

HDCP 2.2 Shield > HDCP 2.2 AVR > Blackbird 4K Pro HDCP Converter, 2.2 to 1.4 > HDMI 1.4 Display
Technically, it will work. I haven't checked it with update 5.0.
(2017-01-18, 19:27)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]It was working fine before! What changed is how the Shield enforces and polls HDCP status. It used to be that HDCP was enforced only when the content required DRM. That changed with update 3.1 and now HDCP is enforced as soon as you see the Android logo during boot. It doesn't look like nVIDIA will change this and so, this refresh rate switching issue will remain for ever.
Yes HDCP is enforced on boot with Android Marshmallow. I see this on other Marshmallow HDCP 2.2 capable 4K DRM platforms. That OS release also brought with it 4K HDCP 2.2 protected online streaming.

There was a workaround that could be done on a Rooted AML platform to allow refresh switching and 1080p HDCP 1.x Netflix, but someone would have to get their hands dirty with nVIDIA to investigate that platform.

I would download the DRM Info App and run it to see what HDCP Status is actually being reported by those Shields that are having issues.
(2017-01-18, 19:43)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I would download the DRM Info App and run it to see what HDCP Status is actually being reported by those Shields that are having issues.
If the AVR supports HDCP 2.2, 2.2 is enforced as soon as you see the Android boot animation.
I'm having a confirmed 1.3b HDMI splitter being delivered tomorrow, I'm going to try putting that between my Shield and AVR. If that doesn't work i'll try plugging one output to the TV and the other to the AVR and try using it like that.

I've bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00629NHW6/r...71_TE_item
Hello everyone ,

i'd like to buy the new shield but i have few questions before;

1 - I was wondering if the -MINIX NEO A2 Lite is still compatible with it ?

2 - Do you know if my LG TV LW4500 can output the DTS/AC3 format through the optical out ? I need an optical output for my home theater system and sadly there is no optical out on the shield Sad
I saw this video with the same TV model and it seems that it should work. is it related with "HDMI passthrough", what do you think ?

Thank you.
(2017-01-18, 20:03)Andydigital Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having a confirmed 1.3b HDMI splitter being delivered tomorrow, I'm going to try putting that between my Shield and AVR. If that doesn't work i'll try plugging one output to the TV and the other to the AVR and try using it like that.

I've bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00629NHW6/r...71_TE_item
It did work before with a HDMI 1.4 or HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 splitter. It has to be between the Shield and the AVR. I haven't checked it with update 5.0.

The one that you have linked is actually a HDMI switch (two inputs, one output). nevermind.... didn't see the bi-directional part.

(2017-01-18, 20:05)woxxi Wrote: [ -> ]2 - Do you know if my LG TV LW4500 can output the DTS/AC3 format through the optical out ? I need an optical output for my home theater system and sadly there is no optical out on the shield Sad
I saw this video with the same TV model and it seems that it should work. is it related with "HDMI passthrough", what do you think ?

Thank you.
It may work with Kodi or SPMC, but it is unlikely that you will get surround sound from streaming services like Netflix/Amazon/HBO/Google Movies/VUDU etc.
From what i know, himedia pro does not have the hdcp 2.2 to hdcp 1.4 issue. It is also an android tv device, meaning the problem can apparently be fixed. Nvidia just does not seem to want to make it a priority. I was actually surprised to see the color space bug resolved.

I get what you are saying wesk05 on doing beta testing for nvidia shield, almost seems like the release is planned already and that the beta test is only there to check if nothing gets truly fubar.