Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When MrMC is updated for tvOS 11.2 I’ll prob just use that as my main player, since the Apple TV is my main player now for everything. Atmos/DTS:X isn’t on that platform, but Dolby Surround/DTS Neural:X do a good enough job that I’d rather have less switching than a minor difference in audio. It doesn’t do 1080p to 4K switching, but the upscaling in the Apple TV seems to be on par with my TV (it actually seems better to me).
(2017-11-14, 04:10)timstephens24 Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn’t do 1080p to 4K switching, but the upscaling in the Apple TV seems to be on par with my TV (it actually seems better to me).
Nice info for a quality upscaling solution Smile

Any chance you are using the ATV 4K for deinterlacing using MrMC Kodi PVR's or similar ?
I'm interested to see how that is handled for 1080i H264 and 576i mpeg2.

I had a play with the new ATV 4K in the Apple Store last week and yes the remote takes some getting used too. It's actually too small for my Gorilla Hands.
(2017-11-13, 15:24)viperlogic Wrote: [ -> ]I believe it was wesk05 somewhere recommended to use "1920x1080 59.940 Hz YUV 4:4:4 8-bit Rec. 709" but how do I configure Krypton to not clip?
You cannot, if you are on the latest 6.1 update. nVIDIA keeps changing this with each update. With 6.1 update, you can get super black/white with MX and VLC players (YCbCr output). Photos & Videos, Archos Video have elevated black levels (16 at 30).
(2017-11-14, 05:15)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Nice info for a quality upscaling solution Smile

Any chance you are using the ATV 4K for deinterlacing using MrMC Kodi PVR's or similar ?
I'm interested to see how that is handled for 1080i H264 and 576i mpeg2.

I had a play with the new ATV 4K in the Apple Store last week and yes the remote takes some getting used too. It's actually too small for my Gorilla Hands.
I use the Channels app and their DVR because it’s just superb. No issues with 1080i content on it at all, so I don’t think Kodi/MrMC would have an issue either.

And yeah, the remote definitely took some getting used to (no gorilla hands here). At first I really disliked it but after a few weeks it grew on me.
(2017-11-13, 11:35)PantsOnFire Wrote: [ -> ]Quick question about ShieldTV in comparison to typical (standard/full) Android TV box:

* Web browsers can be sideloaded onto the Shield, with shield remote for navigation (dpad). Not ideal (compared to a MinixA3Lite air-mouse).

---can airmice be used with the Shield (ie floating cursor seen on screen approximating the standard android experience). It would just make browsing much better.

Apologies it's not a Kodi question, I've YouTube'd for examples but I can only see videos of ppl demo'ing the browsers (not with any such air-mouse). I only ask here because let's face it, there's shield experts aplenty here.

Anyone have any info on this?
nVidia Shield TV has full USB mouse/trackpad support, alongside keyboard.  I plug in a Logitech K400 Keyboard+Trackpad RF mouse into my Shield and can navigate using the touchpad with no problems (a mouse pointer appears when you use a mouse/touchpad). I've also used Bluetooth keyboards and mice.  I've not sideloaded a browser but see no reason why it wouldn't work effectively.
Hi Everybody,

After spending with my shield tv for several days, digging forums and trying hundreds of settinga in the end i lost my vision. Will go blind or crazy soon. Please recommend me some setting to try for best available result from shield tv

I have no problem with tv or avr connection. All connected with hdmi2.a and can transmot all signals properly. No problem with paasthrough sound also. I have tested all available formats.

Need to find best tv output setting for shield and spmc. Target is to get best result for 1080p and 4k including hdr. (if possible proper 24hz)

My contents are all untouched remuxes.
1080p content (mostly avc)
4k content (hevc/hdr and whatever in uhd bluray)

I would be really happy if you give me some advice for settings.

I really wish there would be no uhd Sad
Is there anyone with the PRO version? I have been told that the stock SSHD could slow down app loading and system operation. It seems the 2017 'standard' version is better, because it has a pure SSD, so all apps and system files go there. However, I'm interested in some features included with the PRO and I'd like to know if this issue has a solution.

Thanks
Have the Pro Model 2017.  Just did the latest Firmware update and now things seem SLOW, SLuggish, Skippy, Choppy, ect??

From the main menu UI to my KODI and SPMC builds both really choppy. It feels like when your PC is at 100% cpu useage and your trying to go through Kodi and it locks up for a second here and there.

Any suggestions?
(2017-11-21, 00:19)Comp1demon Wrote: [ -> ]Have the Pro Model 2017.  Just did the latest Firmware update and now things seem SLOW, SLuggish, Skippy, Choppy, ect??

From the main menu UI to my KODI and SPMC builds both really choppy. It feels like when your PC is at 100% cpu useage and your trying to go through Kodi and it locks up for a second here and there.

Any suggestions?
 Check the resolution and frame rate hasn't been reset.
(2017-11-21, 00:19)Comp1demon Wrote: [ -> ]Have the Pro Model 2017.  Just did the latest Firmware update and now things seem SLOW, SLuggish, Skippy, Choppy, ect??

Any suggestions?
 First, there is no 2017 Pro model, it's just the Pro and the same exact device if you bought one in 2015 or 2017.  The only difference is the controller that came with it.

Second, if you just received a update then you are on the Preview and the only place you are suppose to be talking about it or asking questions is the the dedicated preview thread on the Nvidia forums.

Third, you have a Pro.  Any time you do a update on the Pro you have to give it a while before it will become faster.  It could take up to 24 hours until it speeds back up to normal depending on how many apps you have installed.  This is because it is still optimizing the apps after the update.
@wesk05, any ideas for 720p/60 & 1080p/30/60 content w/Shield and leaving the unit 'forced' to [email protected]? I'm okay with 1080p/23.976/24 stuff being upscaled to 4K/23.976, but when watching Playstation Vue (which I think is 720p/60) or anything 1080p/60, there's judder & lip synch error. I can fix this by switching Shield back to 'auto' resolution, but then I have it force it back to [email protected] when watching 4K movies.

I tried LE w/a S912 box & couldn't get auto 1080p/4K switching to work with my Epson 5040UB. For purely Kodi & proper auto switching at all resolutions, what a good solution? Thinking separate boxes: one for everything up to 1080p (using LE), then another for 4K (Shield, Zidoo).
(2017-11-21, 03:57)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]@wesk05, any ideas for 720p/60 & 1080p/30/60 content w/Shield and leaving the unit 'forced' to [email protected]? I'm okay with 1080p/23.976/24 stuff being upscaled to 4K/23.976, but when watching Playstation Vue (which I think is 720p/60) or anything 1080p/60, there's judder & lip synch error. I can fix this by switching Shield back to 'auto' resolution, but then I have it force it back to [email protected] when watching 4K movies.

I tried LE w/a S912 box & couldn't get auto 1080p/4K switching to work with my Epson 5040UB. For purely Kodi & proper auto switching at all resolutions, what a good solution? Thinking separate boxes: one for everything up to 1080p (using LE), then another for 4K (Shield, Zidoo).

Have you tried TVHZ as an app. It lets you quickly switch frame rates - and seems to work OK (doesn't let you change between 709 and 2020 colour space though)

Resolution switching on the other hand is a lot more manual...

The Vero 4K seems to do pretty well in this regard.
@hdmkv might have to "spoof" valid display modes with AMLogic LibreELEC Kodi if switching is not working with the Epson Projector. This can be done with a disp_cap file. Ask over on the AML LibreELEC forums would be my suggestion.
(2017-11-21, 03:57)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]@wesk05, any ideas for 720p/60 & 1080p/30/60 content w/Shield and leaving the unit 'forced' to [email protected]? I'm okay with 1080p/23.976/24 stuff being upscaled to 4K/23.976, but when watching Playstation Vue (which I think is 720p/60) or anything 1080p/60, there's judder & lip synch error. I can fix this by switching Shield back to 'auto' resolution, but then I have it force it back to [email protected] when watching 4K movies.

If resolution switching works with the Shield, you could set the Shield to [email protected]. I can't think of any thing else.

There are two things that need to be considered here:
1) Setting the resolution to 1080p will disable 4K on Netflix, Amazon etc. Forcing [email protected] also disables 4K in Netflix (If the color space is set to Rec. 2020 it won't disable HDR. Netflix supports 1080p HDR).
2) Colorspace: If the 4K movies that you mention are HDR movies you should select Rec. 2020 color space. Shield does some sort of BT.709 -> BT.2020 transformation. It is not perfect, but visually it may be OK for many folks. I have talked about this on the Shield forum. There is a chromaticity chart in one of the threads that demonstrates this.