Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-18, 20:14)Matalo Wrote: [ -> ]From what i know, himedia pro does not have the hdcp 2.2 to hdcp 1.4 issue. It is also an android tv device, meaning the problem can apparently be fixed. Nvidia just does not seem to want to make it a priority.
The HiMedia Q10 Pro is not a 4K DRM capable machine the needs HDCP 2.2 content streaming protection for 4K Netflix / Amazon Video.

The Q10 is not an Android TV device in the same sense the Shield and Mi Boxes are. It's running a regular touchscreen Android OS.

There are similar problems with other 4K DRM HDCP 2.2 streaming boxes. The Shield is not unique in the way it enforces HDCP 2.2 content protection.
(2017-01-18, 18:11)wdpcpa Wrote: [ -> ]I hope I am in the right spot. I want to migrate to the Shield. But I want to make sure it works in my existing setup. I am only familiar with Windows Desktop.

1. All my movies are on external drives - will I be able to hook up my external drives?
2. My current media center is on my Home Group. I move movies from one computer where I rip them to this one over my network. Will the Shield show up in my home group?
3. My movies are backed up with a backup routine nightly to MyBooks. Can I do that with shield?
4. The sound from my media center goes through my Pioneer Theater Center and then to my 5.1 speaker arrangement. It hooks up with HDMI - good with shield?
5. My control is a Logitec Harmony - it controls my media center but other things as well. Compatible with shield?

I figure people here know the answers to all of the above and if this works just like my windows media center then it looks like this is the box for me.

1. Yes, there are 2 USB 3.0 inputs. These will have to be used as external storage only and not adopted storage.
2. Yes, it can connect via Samba (SMB)
3. Not sure. Is the backup handled by the drives, a windows app?
4. Yes, however keep HDCP 2.2 in mind. If anything in the chain is HDMI 1.4 (or not HDCP 2.2) you wont get 4K content.
5. Which Harmony? If its a hub based remote, they are wifi/bluetooth/IR enabled. You shouldnt have any problems with a hub based remote. If your Harmony is standalone and IR only, the new Shield does not have an IR receiver, so unless you add something like FLIRC it wont work. TBH, I have a Harmony Smart Control with the Hub and I like it WAY more than the old standalone IR. The bluetooth alone makes it worth it, but also a recent update gave me timer abilities where at a certain time each morning I can have it turn everything on downstairs and tune to the channel I want so when I go down everything is already running.

I was on the verge of building a brand new HTPC to do Kodi, emulation, Netflix and Amazon but ran into a huge hurdle with Netflix and Amazon and 10ft UIs and wife friendliness. The shield does 99% of all that Im looking for, including Netflix and Amazon, with a couch/remote friendly interface, and all for $200. It was going to be a pain getting a cpu/motherboard/case for that price alone with current hardware not counting other things like gpu/hard drive/memory, etc
Ok, so let me make sure that I have everything correct.

1080p:

Everything works as intended. Frame rate switching works, color space doesn't revert to RGB.

4K:

No issues if full HDMI chain is HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2. Frame rate switching works but forces to 4:2:2 @24p.

Issues with mixed HDMI, if 2.0 (AVR) & 1.4 (TV), no frame rate switching (auto or manually), and color space/resolution can't be changed, defaults to [email protected]
What about the reverse 1.4 (AVR) & 2.0 (TV)? Has that been tested?

I will (once again) bring this up to them [Nvidia], but I need to make sure I have my facts straight.
Alright guys, hell just froze over.

The 5.0.1 firmware apparently fixed ALL refresh rate switching bugs with regard to HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 1.4 chains.

24 fps and 23.976 fps refresh rate switching now works flawlessly in my setup (Shield HDMI 2.0 -> Onkyo TX-NR646 HDMI 2.0 -> Acer V7500 HDMI 1.4). And the selected color space (YCbCR 4:4:4) also stays the same after each refresh rate switch!
I have two questions for Nvidia Shield 2017 owners :
1- with shield in stand by, casting something from cell phone (Google cast), Shield turns on TV and switch on right hdmi in the TV? In other words, shield acts like a Google Chromecast connected to TV?
2- regarding HDMI Cec: turning on Shield, TV turns on and switch on right HDMI in? And turning off TV, also shield turns off?
If it possible, this trials with AVR in the middle.
Many many thanks to who will answer!!
(2017-01-18, 21:11)rde135 Wrote: [ -> ]Alright guys, hell just froze over.

The 5.0.1 firmware apparently fixed ALL refresh rate switching bugs with regard to HDMI 2.0 to HDMI 1.4 chains.

24 fps and 23.976 fps refresh rate switching now works flawlessly in my setup (Shield HDMI 2.0 -> Onkyo TX-NR646 HDMI 2.0 -> Acer V7500 HDMI 1.4). And the selected color space (YCbCR 4:4:4) also stays the same after each refresh rate switch!

are you sure? because this update has only fix for remote lag.
(2017-01-18, 21:32)djstx2003 Wrote: [ -> ]

are you sure? because this update has only fix for remote lag.

Quote:This update contains general stability and performance enhancements, including a SHIELD accessories update. Customers can update at their convenience. After the update, look for and install the new SHIELD accessories update from the recommendation row.
I hope so to have fixed all refresh rate problems especially for those who have a tv with HDMI 1.4. I have a shield 2015 model so I hope to have this update also for us with older Shields.
Well... if they have fixed the refresh rate switching issue, it is excellent news! I will check later tonight.

On what HDMI port do you have the Shield connected to? I thought only the first 3 inputs on the TX-NR646 are HDCP 2.2.
(2017-01-18, 22:00)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]

On what HDMI port do you have the Shield connected to? I thought only the first 3 inputs on the TX-NR646 are HDCP 2.2.

yes, on Onkyo646 HDCP 2.2 is supported on HDMI inputs 1/2/3, Main Out, and Sub Out Onkyo Europe Specs
Shield 2015 will get also 5.0.1 update?
One other issue (but, fixable) I've found w/the 2017 Shield TV is using the USB 3.0 port as adopted storage. Nowhere as fast as (even somewhat sluggish at times) using mSD card/slot in the original Shield, even with their recommended SanDisk USB 3.0 stick (now, they've added others). What is working far better for me is using this $10 SATA-to-USB3 adapter with a SSD drive.
Im also using 128gb SSD from my Old Macbook Air inside Jetdrive case and is much faster than previous mSD card.
If you guys have Spare SSD dont look back...use it.

Just got the NVIDIA SHEILD, installed Kodi from Google Play store. It says 16.1 and has Confluence of course. Is 17 with Estuary skin not available on Android TV through the app store? Do I need to get it elsewhere and side load it?

Thanks!

*NEVERMIND - but for those who may have the same question. seems that 17 is in beta and not yet out on play store. I was able to download 17 Krypton on Kodi site and very easily install it through a USB drive on plugged into my Shield.