Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It‘s Not related to Kodi, it‘s an issue of NVIDIA. Set it to 3840 x 2160 @ 60 YUV 422 and you will get frequencies abvove 30 Hz.
Shield Experience 6.3 is out
(2018-01-31, 20:30)BluHD Wrote: [ -> ]Shield Experience 6.3 is out
 Have the stuttering issues been resolved in the public GA drop?
Seems fine to me so far

small problem with upgrading the remote, but i clicked all 3 buttons at the same time for 5 seconds and it reconnected. I then upgraded fine when it was not plugged in to usb.
I also had problems to update my remote. Had to do what is described in the release notes:

Quote:Firmware update for SHIELD remote (rechargeable) to resolve recharging issues. If update fails, connect remote to charging cable and hold Home + Back + Voice Search buttons until LED flashes (~20 seconds)
Simple question: Do 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Class 10 cards work now with the SATV? I have read in the past that there is a limit of 128GB for the Shield, but I don't know if this has changed.

Thanks.
(2018-02-14, 18:10)boblo Wrote: [ -> ]Simple question: Do 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Class 10 cards work now with the SATV? I have read in the past that there is a limit of 128GB for the Shield, but I don't know if this has changed.

Thanks.
 I assume you want to use this card as adopted storage?  If so, I don't believe the limit is 128GB, my memory is a little fuzzy on it, but I believe others have used 200GB cards.  However,  I would not recommend using any U1 cards as they just aren't fast enough especially after being encrypted.  You really need a U3 card, those are the only cards that I have tested that don't (at least eventually) cause issues.
(2018-02-14, 18:48)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-14, 18:10)boblo Wrote: [ -> ]Simple question: Do 256GB MicroSDXC UHS-I Class 10 cards work now with the SATV? I have read in the past that there is a limit of 128GB for the Shield, but I don't know if this has changed.

Thanks.
 I assume you want to use this card as adopted storage?  If so, I don't believe the limit is 128GB, my memory is a little fuzzy on it, but I believe others have used 200GB cards.  However,  I would not recommend using any U1 cards as they just aren't fast enough especially after being encrypted.  You really need a U3 card, those are the only cards that I have tested that don't (at least eventually) cause issues. 
I'm going to use it for personal files (music, video and downloads); I'm not going to use it for apps or gaming, so speed is not my concern, but I don't know if I will need to format it as adopted storage.

What do you think about THIS? I have a good deal for this 256GB microSD card, but I need to know if I will have all capacity available (not shrinked to 200GB).
Thanks again.
(2018-02-14, 19:02)boblo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to use it for personal files (music, video and downloads); I'm not going to use it for apps or gaming, so speed is not my concern, but I don't know if I will need to format it as adopted storage.

What do you think about THIS? I have a good deal for this 256GB microSD card, but I need to know if I will have all capacity available (not shrinked to 200GB).
Thanks again. 

You don't need to adopt it if you are not going to use it for apps or games. Though you do have to follow the rules for non-adopted storage, and for Kodi you'll need to you the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder created on the storage. That is the only folder with full permission access without the need of the app asking for permission, which Kodi does not do.

That said, I can't tell you for sure if that card will work. Like I said, my memory is a little fuzzy on what sizes others have successfully used. I think others have used 256GB cards, but I'd have to go back and look to make sure.

As for that particular card, I have had a lot of issues with SanDisk cards in the past on Android. However, most of my experience has been with adopted storage and for that I prefer PNY or Samsung, but that's my personal preference. And really for non-adopted storage, unless you are getting a really good deal, it's a waste of money to use a SD Card when you can pick up a 1TB portable drive for the same price or cheaper.
Do I need another folder for other apps (MX Player, VideoLAN, etc.)?

The main reason is to leave the USB ports available for my hard disks (and to copy files between them using a file explorer).

Thanks for your advices.
You mean other than the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder?  No, all apps have full access to that folder which is created on external drives (non-adopted).

I'm not really sure about your reasoning there.  Why do you need to copy from a SD Card to your HDDs?  Why aren't you just doing that to begin with, directly to your USB connected HDDs?

It doesn't matter if you are using a SD Card or USB drive, you have the same access to them if they are not adopted.
(2018-02-15, 00:20)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]You mean other than the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder?  No, all apps have full access to that folder which is created on external drives (non-adopted).

I'm not really sure about your reasoning there.  Why do you need to copy from a SD Card to your HDDs?  Why aren't you just doing that to begin with, directly to your USB connected HDDs?

It doesn't matter if you are using a SD Card or USB drive, you have the same access to them if they are not adopted.
 It's good to know that the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder is used for all apps. On other Android media centers, a specific folder must be created for each app. Does this mean that all apps like a torrent service will save downloaded files to that folder?

My reasoning is to have all music and other video downloads always available (like an internal hard disk), whereas I plug or unplug external drives with my movies.

Thank you
You're referring to the "apps folder" that's created by Android for each app to have access to external drives.  Though only the apps themselves have full permissions to those folders.

To answer your question, yes, all apps/add-ons have full read/write/delete access to the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder.  Nvidia specifically added that to by-pass the Android Storage Framework which requires apps to ask for permission before gaining full permissions.  If you treat the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder like it's the root of the drive you can do what ever you wish, you can even manage files within that folder over your network.

Yes, I understand what you are trying to do, but even if you add a SD Card, & don't adopt it,  it is still bound by the Storage Framework.  The only difference is that you are using the SD port instead of a USB port.
For all here with a Shield TV, is there any good alternative Bluetooth remote with voice search, like the one from Mi Box or the new one from Mecool M8S Pro L with Bluetooth Voice Remote? Mybe someone has both devices and can test if one of these remotes is working on the Shield TV, especially after rebooting.

Thanks for your support.

Regards
Vlaves
use the mibox remote.. it works with the shield.