Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Estuary skin only comes with Kodi 17... overall, SPMC v16.5.5 is still better (IMHO) w/Shield TV, followed by Kodi 17 RC3+.
(2017-01-19, 02:11)b27theory Wrote: [ -> ]Just got the NVIDIA SHEILD, installed Kodi from Google Play store. It says 16.1 and has Confluence of course. Is 17 with Estuary skin not available on Android TV through the app store? Do I need to get it elsewhere and side load it?

Thanks!

You need to sign up to be a beta tester to get it from the Play Store.
Yay!Nod the refresh rate switching issue seen in mixed HDMI/HDCP mode is fixed in 5.0.1

I am nitpicking here: I noticed that in 1080p setups, after the refresh rate switch, the set resolution seems to go back to 1080p59.94 even if you have set it to 1080p60. Others may want to check it. I'm not sure whether this is something unique to my setups.

Update 1/19/17: I re-tested this morning and nothing has been fixed. It may have been a configuration issue when I tested yesterday night.
Good news then!!!
(2017-01-19, 05:38)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]Yay!Nod the refresh rate switching issue seen in mixed HDMI/HDCP mode is fixed in 5.0.1

I am nitpicking here: I noticed that in 1080p setups, after the refresh rate switch, the set resolution seems to go back to 1080p59.94 even if you have set it to 1080p60. Others may want to check it. I'm not sure whether this is something unique to my setups.

Happens here too, also in 4k. It's not unique to your setup.

Damn, hard to believe this was finally fixed. Now let's hope they look into resolution switching from 1080 to 4k. With that this would probably be the best mediaplayer available.
(2017-01-19, 07:38)Matalo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-19, 05:38)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]Yay!Nod the refresh rate switching issue seen in mixed HDMI/HDCP mode is fixed in 5.0.1

Happens here too, also in 4k. It's not unique to your setup.

Damn, hard to believe this was finally fixed. Now let's hope they look into resolution switching from 1080 to 4k. With that this would probably be the best mediaplayer available.

So up to now, which are issues related to colour space and resolution?
Well the 5.0.1 update makes no difference for me, I still can't change refresh rate or colour space, WTF. I've tried power cycling too.
Did some further testing:

At least with my Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver, the refresh rate switching on my HDMI 1.4 projector only works when I connect the Shield to one of the 3 non-HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 ports. I tried one of the 3 HDCP 2.2 ports and then the Shield reverted to playing everything in 60 fps. Other people with HDMI 2.0 receivers and HDMI 1.4 displays should do additional testing. It is possible that Nvidia solved only half of the problem. People with HDMI 2.0 receivers that offer at least one non-HDCP 2.2 port should be fine as of now, but I know that many receiver manufacturers have HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI ports.

I also encountered the previously reported bug that only a 59.94 fps setting will yield flawless refresh rate switching. Once I set the Shield to 60 fps and YCbCr 4:4:4, it would fall back to 59.94 fps and RGB after playback stops. With 59.94 fps the set color space stays the same in all scenarios.
(2017-01-19, 09:59)Andydigital Wrote: [ -> ]Well the 5.0.1 update makes no difference for me, I still can't change refresh rate or colour space, WTF. I've tried power cycling too.

If your receiver has at least one non-HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 port, you should try that one. On my Onkyo receiver, it only works properly with the new firmware on a non-HDCP 2.2 port.
(2017-01-19, 10:04)rde135 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-19, 09:59)Andydigital Wrote: [ -> ]Well the 5.0.1 update makes no difference for me, I still can't change refresh rate or colour space, WTF. I've tried power cycling too.

If your receiver has at least one non-HDCP 2.2 HDMI 2.0 port, you should try that one. On my Onkyo receiver, it only works properly with the new firmware on a non-HDCP 2.2 port.

I've got a feeling all the ports are 2.2 on the Denon AVRX 6200, even the front port does the same thing.

Yup just checked the website. 8 HDMI inputs (1x front) and 3 HDMI outputs with full HDCP 2.2 support
Also what were Nvidia thinking when they put no power button on the 2017 shield, I'm sick of having to pull the power plug out to get it to turn on again. To power off fully by the way you need to go to the ABOUT menu in settings. Pressing buttons on the remote or controller does not power on the Shield when you have used the power off option in the About menu.
They were probably thinking that it doesn't require a power button, that other boxes don't include a power button (Fire TV, Mi TV box, etc.) and that it's meant to always be on since with the addition of Goggle Assistant it becomes an always listening device.
Ok, I am allowed to buy a Shield from my wife Wink

Should I buy the 2015 or 2017 version?
It looks like the only big change is the removal of IR, is the 2017 version as good to control through CEC as a RPi ?
Cause I want to keep using my Harmony remote (IR only)

Is there a change I could experience these frame rate/color switching issues with my hardware?
All are HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 as far as I know
It depends on if you want the new game controller (which has a always listening feature for Google Assistant) and you don't want to pay extra, and if you can actually find a 2015 model that's not overpriced.

Your going to get nearly the same experience with either.

CEC seems to be hit and miss, but if you want to continue to use your IR remote I'd suggest a Flirc, which would give you more control anyway.

If your HDMI chain is all the same, then you shouldn't have any issues.
As I was expecting after reading some of the posts here and at nVIDIA, the splitter switch I bought didn't work. I dont know whether I can be arsed taking the chance on spending another £50 to £60 on trying to see if a 2.2 to 1.4 converter will work, that is the cheapest I can find them for here in the UK. So I think the switch and Shield are going back to Amazon I'm afraid, unless someone can guarantee those converters work?

Trying to run two HDMI outputs at the same time via that splitter, one to the TV and one to the AVR doesn't work either, the AVR never outputs sound.

I can't even get Kodi to output any audio through the optical out from my TV to my AVR when the Shield is connected directly to the TV. Actually that's not totally true, I can hear the GUI sounds when moving around the menu's but any videos I play make no sound. I dont like that Idea anyway as you are limited to 5.1 even if it did work over optical. I have an ATMOS setup so that just isn't acceptable to be limited to 5.1.