Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-06-27, 21:56)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-27, 21:08)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]My AVR information display that my Sheild is outputting 24 BIT in HDR but my Egreat Media output 36 BIT HDR, can some explain what is the issue here.
 This has been answered in a technical style before. So, this time I will do it in the layman style   Wink . Your AVR is a very low IQ thing (Sorry 45th POTUS ), it is not intelligent enough to figure out the bit depth of YCbCr 4:2:2 pixel encoding. Shield doesn't support YCbCr 4:4:4 for >8-bit (24-bit) color depth. It only supports 12(10)-bit YCbCr 4:2:2. When you see 36-bit on your AVR with the Egreat, it means that the output is 12-bit YCbCr 4:4:4 (or 12-bit RGB if supported). 
 Thanks!

So basically my Egreat is sending the correct output to my TV
Dusted off my shields and upgraded one, not bad at all.

Even live TV is working pretty well with latest Kodi alpha....
(2018-06-24, 15:09)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-24, 14:44)cdvreede Wrote: [ -> ]should we be using the 64-bit version on Shield?? 

Yes.  

Will I notice any difference between 32 and 64 bit versions?

If I install Kodi from the Play Store on the Shield will it automatically choose the 64 bit version of Kodi?
(2018-06-27, 22:46)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]Dusted off my shields and upgraded one, not bad at all.

I've been using LiveTV on both my Sheilds (gen1 and gen 2) for a few years with no issue on the nightlies with Kodi. I use TVHeadend with a UK DVBS2 usb stick.
(2018-06-28, 09:47)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-27, 22:46)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]Dusted off my shields and upgraded one, not bad at all.

I've been using LiveTV on both my Sheilds (gen1 and gen 2) for a few years with no issue on the nightlies with Kodi. I use TVHeadend with a UK DVBS2 usb stick.
Which USB tuner stick do you use?
how are you guys checking all this info? what its outputting, colour etc...is it on kodi or the tv?
(2018-06-28, 09:48)knubbze Wrote: [ -> ]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-PCTV-...B00DH51DUQ

EDIT: to say I have a seperate libreELEC box as the TV server

It's been too glitchy for me (and i have tried a lot! Bought both v1 and V2 shields on release day) - admittedly I'm picky as i also have a Chromebox with LibreElec, which is outstanding with live TV.

Shield has had so many issues with interlaced content over the years (switching off IPv6 is required for 7 for example, otherwise it craps out after a few minutes).

You can run tvheadend on the shield (checkout the geforce forum for an APK), but it requires root for usb stick. Easier to use a hdhomerun or sat-ip tuner, better still to use a separate box with tvh imo.
scanned the thread but cannot find an answer. Have a 2017 Shield and running Alpha 2 Leia. Looking for the best possible settings for Kodi. So far I have:

1) Shield set to default (recommended) resolution - seems to be 4k/60
2) Kodi set to adjust resolution on start/stop
3) Kodi resolution set to 1080p (most content is 1080 or below) - seems to only allow 1080p/24 - not 50 or 60??
4) Whitelist shows lots of resolutions.

Not seeing Kodi switch resolution. the GUI plays in 1080p/24, movies play in 4k/60 and recorded TV (MCE plugin) falls back to 4k/60. Doesn't look too bad but don't want Kodi to upscale...

Question now - what are the best setting for both the TV, Shield and Kodi??

thnx
(2018-06-28, 22:36)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-28, 09:47)docwra Wrote: [ -> ] I've been using LiveTV on both my Sheilds (gen1 and gen 2) for a few years with no issue on the nightlies with Kodi. I use TVHeadend with a UK DVBS2 usb stick.
You can run tvheadend on the shield (checkout the geforce forum for an APK), but it requires root for usb stick. Easier to use a hdhomerun or sat-ip tuner, better still to use a separate box with tvh imo. 
 Oh wow didn't know that! May give that a try with my 2nd tuner
My Shield got the 7.0 update so I decided to upgrade Kodi to v18 Leia, and when I booted Kodi it was super zoomed in. I could only see the top-right quarter of the screen. I managed to get into the settings, switch the resolution to 1280x720, and got the whole screen back. I'm installing a nightly now, and failing that I'll backup Kodi, kill it, reinstall, and restore. 

Any idea why this is happening?

Looking like the wipe, backup, and restore fixed it! Woohoo!
Has anyone managed to get PVR live TV to show up in the Oreo channels interface? I know smart playlists can show up, but i can't work out how to make a live TV smart playlist.
(2018-06-29, 22:22)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone managed to get PVR live TV to show up in the Oreo channels interface? I know smart playlists can show up, but i can't work out how to make a live TV smart playlist.
You can't, you can only make playlist for your library data.  You would have to add your PVR'd videos to the library then make a playlist.
(2018-06-30, 00:52)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-06-29, 22:22)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone managed to get PVR live TV to show up in the Oreo channels interface? I know smart playlists can show up, but i can't work out how to make a live TV smart playlist.
You can't, you can only make playlist for your library data.  You would have to add your PVR'd videos to the library then make a playlist.
Thanks. Thought that would be the case. Disappointing.