Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-07-16, 12:53)cable_guy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-16, 12:50)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-16, 12:44)cable_guy Wrote: [ -> ]How would you tell Kodi to not use the hardware it's on (the Shield) to upscale, and leave it to the TV though?
 Whitelisting has appeared in Kodi Leia builds.  This allows you to select which resolutions and frame rates Kodi will use. If you select 720p and 1080p modes at the frame rates you want - then 720p will be output in 720p, 1080p in 1080p and 2160p at 2160p, leaving your UHD TV to do 720p and 1080p to 2160p upscaling, not Kodi.

NB the approach Kodi devs have taken to whitelisting isn't 100% popular (it's reduce the ease of config of auto refresh rate switching) - and so I wouldn't be surprised if a change to the configuration of the functionality took place, however I expect the functionality itself is likely to continue.   
 thanks. Sounds like a good compromise to me. Although I don't quite know how "ease of config of auto refresh rate switching" would affect me.  

Do most tend to install clean Kodi or SPMC on it?  
SPMC is deprecated now I think - since its dev joined MrMC's team?  (Think MrMC is still very Krypton)

I'm running a Kodi Leia nightly from a week or so ago.
(2018-07-16, 12:58)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-16, 12:53)cable_guy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-16, 12:50)noggin Wrote: [ -> ] Whitelisting has appeared in Kodi Leia builds.  This allows you to select which resolutions and frame rates Kodi will use. If you select 720p and 1080p modes at the frame rates you want - then 720p will be output in 720p, 1080p in 1080p and 2160p at 2160p, leaving your UHD TV to do 720p and 1080p to 2160p upscaling, not Kodi.

NB the approach Kodi devs have taken to whitelisting isn't 100% popular (it's reduce the ease of config of auto refresh rate switching) - and so I wouldn't be surprised if a change to the configuration of the functionality took place, however I expect the functionality itself is likely to continue.   
 thanks. Sounds like a good compromise to me. Although I don't quite know how "ease of config of auto refresh rate switching" would affect me.  

SPMC is deprecated now I think - since its dev joined MrMC's team?  (Think MrMC is still very Krypton)

I guess Krypton has the upscaling quality issue then? (As I presume the whitelist of resolutions isn't available in the older Krypton)
Shield is on sale today for Amazon Prime day in the UK for £134. I think in the US as well. 

https://amzn.to/2mkt0nR
(2018-07-16, 14:00)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]Shield is on sale today for Amazon Prime day in the UK for £134. I think in the US as well. 

https://amzn.to/2mkt0nR
 yes that's what's prompted my interest, I'm sorely tempted as I have a 4K TV and as yet haven't seen anything in 4K !!!!
Its the best streamer out there in my opinion, nothing else comes close.
(2018-07-16, 13:53)cable_guy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-16, 12:58)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-07-16, 12:53)cable_guy Wrote: [ -> ] thanks. Sounds like a good compromise to me. Although I don't quite know how "ease of config of auto refresh rate switching" would affect me.  

I guess Krypton has the upscaling quality issue then? (As I presume the whitelist of resolutions isn't available in the older Krypton)  

Yes - you'd have to manually alter resolution to avoid Shield TV upscaling I think.

Leia is getting pretty mature now though.
(2018-07-16, 15:11)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]Its the best streamer out there in my opinion, nothing else comes close.
 I have the Shield TV and the ATV4K.  They are very close in specs - and both have pluses and minuses.  I end up using the Shield TV for Kodi (HD Audio bit streaming and USB connectivity) - but the ATV4K is better for me for Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. (Dolby Vision and frame rate switching across all apps are major benefits)
Setting up Kodi on a Shield and noticing that HD PVR streams (tvheadend as the PVR of choice) have some frames dropped and an audio lag or general stutter.  Has anyone else encountered this and found a workaround?

Just getting up to speed on Shield gottchas.
(2018-07-18, 18:17)digitalgimpus Wrote: [ -> ]Setting up Kodi on a Shield and noticing that HD PVR streams (tvheadend as the PVR of choice) have some frames dropped and an audio lag or general stutter.  Has anyone else encountered this and found a workaround?

Just getting up to speed on Shield gottchas.
 Not that I have seen, been using the shield to connect to TVHeadend on an Intel NUC for a few years now without any issues. Using DVB-S2 here in the UK.
(2018-07-16, 13:53)cable_guy Wrote: [ -> ]I guess Krypton has the upscaling quality issue then? (As I presume the whitelist of resolutions isn't available in the older Krypton) 

It's not a matter of Krypton having scaling issues, it's that it does not include resolution switching. If you want to be able to use the newer features offered under Android you need to use Leia (v18). None of the newer features in v18 will be backported to V17 and as already stated, SPMC is now defunct as Koying has halted development of it and working solely on MrMC.
So I've been running kodi using Libreelec for a few years now on an Intel Nuc and an old laptop.  Both are pointed towards my synology NAS to use MySQL database and for Video storage using NFS.  I have not had any problems setting up the Advanced settings xml file or the sources file.

So I'm thinking or replacing the laptop and NUC with a Shield, and I get my hands on one during the recent sale.  
BIG PROBLEMS EMERGE.

I copy over the right xml files, and the database pulls up when I start up kodi, showing all my video files. BUT when i go to play any of them, they can not be found and kodi asks me if I want to delete it.  I go check my NUC, no problems there.

Is there something I have to do different on the shield to get this to work?
Do I need to post this in another thread?
I don't want to return the Shield but if I can't get this to work using NFS, I'll have to.
(2018-07-19, 16:22)o1dscratch Wrote: [ -> ]I copy over the right xml files, and the database pulls up when I start up kodi, showing all my video files. BUT when i go to play any of them, they can not be found and kodi asks me if I want to delete it.  I go check my NUC, no problems there.
 Kodi on the Shield should be able to connect to your NFS share just fine, so check your settings, (try direct IP instead of hostnames, check login credentials, ensure the shield has permissions to access the share etc) and check your sources.xml. Make sure you can browse to the source directly with kodi's files browsing before worrying about the database.

Also consider setting up Emby or Plex on the synology and using their kodi sync addons as a better alternative to the mysql DB option. I switched a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.
I use the Shield (Oreo update) on a Sony XE9305. Which setting a recommend on Kodi 18? I have problem with 23,xx Videos, these are not smooth.
I was using my own joystick.xml in my Shield 2015 till now (17.6) without a problem. But now, I've updated to Leia Alpha 2 and it doesn't work.

My joystick was defined something like this:
Code:
<keymap>
  <FullscreenVideo>
   <joystick name="NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Controller v01.04">
      <x>Stop</x>
      <y>Info</y>
    </joystick>
  </FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

I could see that my joystick name was actually v01.03 (Settings > System settings > Input). So I changed my joystick.xml accordingly, but still doesn't work.
Of course Joystick Support addon is activated.

Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\files\.kodi\userdata\addon_data\peripheral.joystick\resources\buttonmaps\xml\ is empty until changing controller configuration (settings > System Settings > Input > Configure Attached Controllers). Then, a new subfolder appears: \android\NVIDIA_Corporation_NVIDIA_Controller_v01.03_xxxxxxxxx.xml

But again, joystick.xml doesn't work. It seems that Kodi simply doesn't read this file.

My Nvidia is up to date (Oreo).

Anyone with this problem?
(2018-07-20, 22:04)Schrotty Wrote: [ -> ]I use the Shield (Oreo update) on a Sony XE9305. Which setting a recommend on Kodi 18? I have problem with 23,xx Videos, these are not smooth.
 Have you added the 23.976 modes (at the resolutions you want to be output) in your whitelist? And enabled Adjust Refresh Rate on Start/Stop?

Leia introduced a whitelist concept which means that rather than choosing a fixed resolution and frame rate for the GUI then having the frame rate change purely by enabling 'Adjust Refresh Rate', you now chose both Frame Rate and Resolution combinations you want to be output.  This is to allow for display rather than player scaling but has complicated configuration a bit.