Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) - UPDATED: May 25, 2018
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-08-25, 13:40)Goga777 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-22, 09:03)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]I recently installed CPU Monitor from the play store.

It allows you to display a floating circle (on top of whatever your displaying) with the CPU temp in it, the circle is positioned middle left on the screen, until you reboot box or switch it off.
did you test cpu monitor with nvidia shield?  i could't manage
I couldn't to?
(2018-08-25, 13:40)Goga777 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-08-22, 09:03)Jeffers24 Wrote: [ -> ]I recently installed CPU Monitor from the play store.

It allows you to display a floating circle (on top of whatever your displaying) with the CPU temp in it, the circle is positioned middle left on the screen, until you reboot box or switch it off.
did you test cpu monitor with nvidia shield?  i could't manage 
 How far did you get?

The app needs permission to display floating window over other apps, works great on non-shield boxes I have.

On the shield, I have installed the app and can run the app. But I am not able to activate floating window :-)

I have emailed developer and asked how to give app permission on the shield.
Shield TV Pro is officially no more. Sad

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/.../a_id/4696
Hopefully that means they are going to release a newer model soon.
(2018-08-26, 04:15)Powerhouse Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully that means they are going to release a newer model soon.
 Wonder if they are thinking of a TX2 model - or if they are going to retire it as a concept.  It's a great box with just a few rough edges.  If we could merge the feature set of the Shield TV and the Apple TV 4K we'd be in a very good place...
(2018-08-26, 04:15)Powerhouse Wrote: [ -> ]Hopefully that means they are going to release a newer model soon.

I hope not.
New models mean ending support for old models.
No, it doesn't mean that there is going to be a newer model. This is only the Pro, the 16 GB model is still being produced and sold.

(2018-08-26, 14:12)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Wonder if they are thinking of a TX2 model - or if they are going to retire it as a concept.  It's a great box with just a few rough edges.  If we could merge the feature set of the Shield TV and the Apple TV 4K we'd be in a very good place... 

No, the TX2 is not a thing, at least not for Android as it's only been designed for AI, you will probably never see a TX2 streamer/media player. As for merging the features, as far as I have been told that is something that they will now be working on, adding more features.
(2018-08-26, 17:02)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]
No, it doesn't mean that there is going to be a newer model. This is only the Pro, the 16 GB model is still being produced and sold.
(2018-08-26, 14:12)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Wonder if they are thinking of a TX2 model - or if they are going to retire it as a concept.  It's a great box with just a few rough edges.  If we could merge the feature set of the Shield TV and the Apple TV 4K we'd be in a very good place... 

No, the TX2 is not a thing, at least not for Android as it's only been designed for AI, you will probably never see a TX2 streamer/media player. As for merging the features, as far as I have been told that is something that they will now be working on, adding more features.   
 Thinking about it the Pro was effectively still a first gen box wasn't it ? Only the 16GB model was re-engineered to make it smaller (and losing the uSD slot in the bargain)? I guess retiring the Pro means stopping first gen production?

Thanks for clarifying about the TX2.  It's always annoyed me that there wasn't support for decent video and video decode driver support under Linux for the TX1 other than gstreamer.  The TX1 dev board would have made a nice high-end Kodi box in a suitable case.
(2018-08-26, 17:08)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Thinking about it the Pro was effectively still a first gen box wasn't it ? Only the 16GB model was re-engineered to make it smaller (and losing the uSD slot in the bargain)? I guess retiring the Pro means stopping first gen production?

Thanks for clarifying about the TX2.  It's always annoyed me that there wasn't support for decent video and video decode driver support under Linux for the TX1 other than gstreamer.  The TX1 dev board would have made a nice high-end Kodi box in a suitable case. 

Well effectively, there is no 1st gen/2nd gen Shield TVs. Basically you had 16GB Shield TV in a Pro container and the 2017 models were just a relaunch of the 16GB in a smaller size with some I/Os removed. Other than that there's really no difference between the 2015 & 2017 16GB Shields, so to call them a "2nd gen" is a stretch.

Basically Nvidia (most likely) decided to stop production on their lower selling device and with the recent changes for the 16GB model, adoptive storage & being able to use it for PMS now, the Pro has become redundant.

As for the TX1 dev board, I don't think it would have been a nice "high-end Kodi box". Again, it was never designed for media, plus it's way to expensive for most people and if you want linux you can already do that with the Shield. There's some instructions on how to dual boot the Shield with either mobile Android or Linux floating around.
Hi,

on the 2017 shield 16gb, does anyone know how to edit the advancedsettings.xml file without rooting the device? Rooting seems overkill, I just want to tweak buffer settings.
(2018-08-27, 19:51)hobartgeorge Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

on the 2017 shield 16gb, does anyone know how to edit the advancedsettings.xml file without rooting the device? Rooting seems overkill, I just want to tweak buffer settings.
Edit on your PC, drop file on network location accesible to shield / Kodi, use Kodi's internal file manager to copy to correct place.

Edit - not actually sure buffer settings actually do anything these days though.
(2018-08-27, 21:51)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]

Edit on your PC, drop file on network location accesible to shield / Kodi, use Kodi's internal file manager to copy to correct place.

Edit - not actually sure buffer settings actually do anything these days though. 
 Thanks Tredman. Yeah what settings might help was going to be my next question...

Just download FX File Explorer from the play store access the file, edit it, save it, job done.

No need for transferring to PC etc.

I would suggest you make a copy before editing it :-)
I just installed Kodi 18 beta 1 but auto framerate switching don't works on my shield.
No problem with SPMC 16.

Can you confirm?
Have you enabled them in the whitelist?