Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio transcode quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Currently, I have my kodi htpc connected to my AVR through coax. I only have 2 speakers and I don't think I will increase the number of speaker in the future. My AVR is slowly dying (it is at least 10 years old) and I was thinking at replacing it by a simple Hifi amplifier such as the onkyo TX 8130 and let kodi transcode the audio from movie to LPCM 2.0.

Is there a difference in quality between the audio transcode to 2.0 done in kodi and the one done in any recent Home-cinema amplifier (<500€) ?

Thanks in advance
Kodi does not transcode to 2.0. It decodes to float (lossless) and from here it mixes with the help of ffmpeg to 2.0. As mixing still happens in Float, it's just weighting channels, e.g.

1.0 FL + 1.0 / sqrt(2) RL + 0.5 Center = FL
1.0 FR + 1./ sqrt(2) RR + 0.5 Center = FR

The setting "Keep original volume" then decides if it is weighted each with 1 / (1 + 1/sqrt(2) + 0.5) while mixing or if the limiter while outputting makes sure the values are in range 0 .. 1.0.

If you need to weight certain channels manually, you need to ADSP by wisler. Kodi dsp extension.
Thanks a lot for your clear answer.

I should ear a difference (or not) next monday Blush