Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17 RC3 (and earlyer) Kodi mess up characters while installing from .zip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As the Titel said: Kodi mess up (special-) characters while installing from .zip

i've got some images in the media-forder of my skin named "1°C.png" as example. if i manually unzip the skin in to the "addons directory" everything is O.K., but if Kodi do the unzipping (install via .zip) kodi mess up with this characters.

what shuld be "1°C.png" is after install from .zip named "6øC.png"

to reproduce the issue i would suggest to place a random image in the media folder of a random skin and name it "1°C.png" copy the Skinfolder to somewhere, increase the version number of the Skin, zip it, and istall it via zip -> the image in the media Folder shuld now show the messed up characters.

Regards

Edit:
Seems it doesnt make a difference if i let the textures unpacked in the "media" folder, or if i pack them via texture packer. Just tought i mention this to in case it helps.
Not too sure I follow along too well, when installing I leave the installation for the installer and for the most part I have been rewarded with flawless operations. Some skins look inside both the media-folder and take what is needed; prior to the textures being unpacked and in your case it seems a few files are out of place, but you seem to have a handle on it. Thanks for the tip.

If you treat yourself to a clean Kodi install, most skins will undo properly without issue.
(2017-01-20, 18:23)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]and in your case it seems a few files are out of place.
out of place? (sry. dont get that?)

they are where they need to be (at least as long i unzip the skin manually Wink )

(2017-01-20, 18:23)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]If you treat yourself to a clean Kodi install, most skins will undo properly without issue.

lol. my Install is clean, you can beleve me on this. (ur welcome to check other debugs i provided)

(2017-01-20, 18:23)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]when installing I leave the installation for the installer and for the most part I have been rewarded with flawless operations
As long your Skin is already on a Repo, o.k. . Mine isnt, and to be honest i would be suprised if it would work when its installing from a RePo (doesnt Kodi use the Same rutine there? -> from my understanding everyting Kodi does there is checking the checksum and the dependancies [EDIT: and install the dependancies /EDIT] and unzip the related files)

if u can confirm that this issue doesnt exist while installing from a repo, i guess its not as importen as if not, but..

--
Hope i dont get u wrong on anything u where saying.

no mather what, thanks for the interest and for trying to help to solve this Bug

-----
EDIT:
@PatK:

by the Way, where u able to reproduce the issue? Wasnt clear from your Post.
Impossible to reproduce without the zip file. Where is it?
I can reproduce this. For some reason unicode codepoint 00B0 becomes 00F8.

scott s.
(2017-01-20, 23:05)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Impossible to reproduce without the zip file. Where is it?
Impossible? Smile

O.K. took me less than a min by following my own guide provided in the first post (actually writing this post needs more time than preparing a .zip)

how ever, if u want/need a zip to test, u get a zip to test / im happily provide u one,, here u go..
(2017-01-20, 23:48)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]I can reproduce this. For some reason unicode codepoint 00B0 becomes 00F8.

Thanks a bunch for looking in to it and for confirming.
I suggest you report this in the bugtracker (see the top of the forum page).
nothing is wrong here apart from the encoding of the filenames in the zip. you have to configure the correct charset, whatever that is. or better yet, use utf-8.
I put up this http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17261 trying to explain behavior as best I could.

I tried some other filenames with various characters in the A0-FF range and they all copied/installed correctly. No idea why this certain filename is causing a problem.

scott s.
(2017-01-22, 01:09)ironic_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]nothing is wrong here apart from the encoding of the filenames in the zip. you have to configure the correct charset, whatever that is. or better yet, use utf-8.

I can zip it using 7-zip on windows, and then unzip it back to a new location on windows 7and the filename is preserved. I suppose there could be a 7-zip bug.

scott s.
Seems like you need to follow ironic monkeys advice. Believe me he knows what he is talking about.
zip files support two encodings: CP467 (aka 'DOS' 7 bit code page) and utf-8 (through the efs bit). those files hold some 8-bit encoding which is not valid in the zip as per zip specification. we try to guess at the encoding in the code, but the best guess that can be made is whatever is configured in the ui.

while looking into this i noticed that efs support was never added to the kodi zip code (i wrote it prior to the specification). i have opened a pr to add this, but it won't help for this file since it is out of spec.

tldr; 7-zip / windows zip support is doing out-of-spec things here.
Thanks. So is there a better zip util for the windows platform? I tried the native zip (send to - archive) in Win 7 and get the same results as 7zip.

scott s.
sorry i wouldn't know, i'm a linux man. the 'zip' binary does the correct thing is all i was able to verify.
Pages: 1 2