Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Add TV series to movie library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all. I am relatively new to using kodi. I am finding it a great programme to use and have figured most of it out. There are a couple of issues i am trying to sort out. Firstly i should mention i am running openelec on an old laptop hardwired to my TV running on a lynux platform all my movies are stored on an external 5tb hard drive connected to the laptop via USB.
The main issue i am trying to figure out is how to put my collection of tv series to my movie library. The are all on DVD which i have converted to mp4 I have tried to put them in a separate file named lets say the walking dead for arguments sake inside the file i have the mp4 label The walking Dead S01E01 and so on. I have tried to name them in diffrente ways and have even put them on the hard drive in seperate mp4 files name S01E01 but the scraper will not pick them up and add them to the library. Any Help with this issue would be much appreciated.
Thanks Andrew
Could you provide a link to a full debug log (wiki) while doing a library update

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk
The TV and movies libraries by default use different scrapers linked to different databases, each set up for their specific content type.

So unless the database for movies happens to have the TV show in it then you can't. The database certainly won't have series in them as the movie database is designed for single items, whereas the TV shows one is set up for grouped items (multi episode and multi season series).

This is why the libraries are seperate in Kodi - their structures are different.
Is there an easy way to convert a TV series to a film set?
(2019-12-20, 16:45)uVSthem Wrote: [ -> ]Is there an easy way to convert a TV series to a film set?
Yes, there is. Firstly which tv show and why.
tv series to my movie library. you would need to check imdb 
The walking Dead Seed Sick Walk with Me would end up mixed with other movies
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2253602/?ref_=ttep_ep4
(2019-12-20, 21:11)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-12-20, 16:45)uVSthem Wrote: [ -> ]Is there an easy way to convert a TV series to a film set?
Yes, there is. Firstly which tv show and why. 

Mainly animated shorts like Looney Tunes and Disney. I'd like to keep each studio's animated short films as one big series with my movies and not with TV shows.
Hmmm, personally I would have thought it better to have them in TV Shows as Seasons and episodes. Seasons could be used to group shorts from the same studio, or the same year.

If your shorts are already scraped into the TV Show library, then...
  1. Export your library to Separate Files (NFO Files)
  2. Delete the existing TV Show and episodes from the library
  3. Move your files (video files, nfo files, artwork) to the Movies Source and rename them
  4. In your NFO Files you need to change two tags as follows...
    1. <episodedetails></episodedetails> is changed to <movie></movie>
    2. <aired></aired> is changed to <premiered></premiered>
  5. All other tags can remain as is
  6. Scan into your library
You would be best to test on a couple files first. Some of the links in My Signature below should be of help.

Also of interest, but probably the opposite of what you are trying to do... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349595
(2019-12-21, 22:35)uVSthem Wrote: [ -> ]Mainly animated shorts like Looney Tunes

I have Looney Tunes but my naming is different. See pic.
(2019-12-21, 22:56)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm, personally I would have thought it better to have them in TV Shows as Seasons and episodes. Seasons could be used to group shorts from the same studio, or the same year.

If your shorts are already scraped into the TV Show library, then...
  1. Export your library to Separate Files (NFO Files)
  2. Delete the existing TV Show and episodes from the library
  3. Move your files (video files, nfo files, artwork) to the Movies Source and rename them
  4. In your NFO Files you need to change two tags as follows...
    1. <episodedetails></episodedetails> is changed to <movie></movie>
    2. <aired></aired> is changed to <premiered></premiered>
  5. All other tags can remain as is
  6. Scan into your library
You would be best to test on a couple files first. Some of the links in My Signature below should be of help.

Also of interest, but probably the opposite of what you are trying to do... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349595 

Thanks. It's annoying for a series like Popeye which had theatrical and television shorts. I'd like to have one big group of Popeye shorts instead of one for TV and for film. I'd also like to keep all the Mickey Mouse Works shorts together with the theatrical Disney shorts.
(2019-12-22, 17:25)uVSthem Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. It's annoying for a series like Popeye which had theatrical and television shorts. I'd like to have one big group of Popeye shorts instead of one for TV and for film. I'd also like to keep all the Mickey Mouse Works shorts together with the theatrical Disney shorts.
Sure, understand that. I just don't understand why you would want to add them as movies instead of grouping them all as a TV Show. But that is up to you, just curious as to how people use Kodi, that's all. Smile
(2019-12-22, 20:41)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-12-22, 17:25)uVSthem Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. It's annoying for a series like Popeye which had theatrical and television shorts. I'd like to have one big group of Popeye shorts instead of one for TV and for film. I'd also like to keep all the Mickey Mouse Works shorts together with the theatrical Disney shorts.
Sure, understand that. I just don't understand why you would want to add them as movies instead of grouping them all as a TV Show. But that is up to you, just curious as to how people use Kodi, that's all. Smile
There are a ton of animated shorts that the TheTVDB does not have listed or does have listed the way I want to sort them. They are mostly 1 shot cartoons or obscure studios.