Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Subtitles from mkv videos missing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On a Windows 10 environment. All my videos have been ripped (MakeMKV) with the english subtitles enabled. They are all mkv videos. I upgraded from 16.1 to 17 RC3 and the subtitles would show only occasionally. Rather strange. I upgrade to RC4 and now they don't show at all. The subtitles worked fine with 16.1 and earlier versions of Kodi as well with VLC. I've tried turning them off and on in Kodi but no difference. Any ideas?
Looking inside the movie folder might be an idea to see how subtitles are named. Usually showname.srt will be the default pick-up, some skins allow for browse and not all automagically downloaded subs are titled correctly, refreshed installs might not appreciate the naming convention used. Subtitles (wiki) I've had no issue bringing up subtitles, but I'll admit, I don't often view them or have a foreign collection of foreign Hollywood stuff. If the subs are internal that would be a sightly different matter and could be the fault of the encoder (you might pull them out with MKVmerge and check, remux if needed.)

A proper debug log playing a movie while attempting to get the subs working might offer up a clue.
No subtitle downloads were needed in this case. I just ripped my dvds using MakeMKV to create the mkv video file. I included the english subtitles on the dvd in the rip. I have parents that need the english subtitles since they can't hear the dialog from video too well. Running the ripped videos through VLC shows the english subtitles. Kodi 16.1 (and prior versions) also shows the english subtitles. I will try to turn on the debug/event log and see if it shows anything. I'll let you know what I find.
I also noticed a few bluray rips that have subtitles encoded in the mkv that are not shown by Kodi RC4. They are present in the subtitles list, but no text gets on screen. They work OK with MPC HC or other software. Will investigate more tonight.
I'll assume this is the same issue that the OP is experiencing, otherwise, please split the thread. Smile

Here is a debug log: http://pastebin.com/z2mD9Ygp

I'm playing a self-made bluray rip (remux). External subtitles work (downloaded .srt), but the internal do not. I tried on my other pc, which runs a month old beta Krypton, and that one does work! I've tried it also with a downloaded bluray rip: same problem.

Here are some of the subtitles references in the log (I don't know how relevant these messages are though):
Code:
16:59:08.479 T:4932   DEBUG: ffmpeg[1344]: [matroska,webm] Could not find codec parameters for stream 5 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle): unspecified size
16:59:08.479 T:4932   DEBUG: ffmpeg[1344]: [matroska,webm] Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
16:59:08.479 T:4932   DEBUG: ffmpeg[1344]: [matroska,webm] Could not find codec parameters for stream 7 (Subtitle: hdmv_pgs_subtitle): unspecified size
16:59:08.479 T:4932   DEBUG: ffmpeg[1344]: [matroska,webm] Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
16:59:08.479 T:4932   DEBUG: CDVDDemuxFFmpeg::Open - av_find_stream_info finished
Krypton is now in release, is the behaviour the same?
Ah, that was helpful! I should've tried that before. It's solved in the latest nightly / the final 17.0.

This one works:KodiSetup-20170201-a10c504-Krypton
This one did not work: KodiSetup-20170126-e80803a-v17.0_final.exe (a few days older, despite the 'final' tag)