Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Harmony hub (bluetooth) and raspberry Pi 3 with Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've gotten the harmony hub to recognize my Pi by setting it up as a device being a raspberry Pi computer.
I am able to program the up, down, left and right keys, but I cannot program anything else. No play, pause, ok, back or anything like that.
I have kodi installed on it and I'm trying to use it as a media centre. So this is being problematic. Anyone know how I could program extra keys?
Which OS are you using?
Which kodi version are you using?
How did you program the navigation keys?

For bluetooth you should try the following Harmony profile:

Manufacturer: Microsoft
Device Model...: KODI

This is working kind of perfectly on LibreELEC with Raspberrys etc. All the buttons should work out of the box then. I don't know whether this is the same case for your OS, but I guess it will be.

Afterwards: If you feel the need to customize the kodi button further, then you can map the keys with this addon (in official Kodi repository):
Keymap Editor Addon
Just out of interest.... Is the bluetooth speed any faster than the IR when it comes to keypresses?
(2017-02-01, 14:19)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]Just out of interest.... Is the bluetooth speed any faster than the IR when it comes to keypresses?
Yep, it is. But it depends on whether it is too slow for you with IR, every remote is different, I guess. It is comparable to the FireTV remote responsiveness, which is very fast compared to IR on my LibreELEC systems.

On Harmony Remotes most users encounter a huge lag with IR... I still cannot find out why that is... but is remains since years. And you also have the effect that the presses come delayed alltogether... like: You surf your movie library and press cursor down 4 times very rapidly, but GUI reacts with a delay of one second and then moves those 4 steps in a row (as if it was collecting them before executing), altough you aren't pressing anymore.

With bluetooth there is a minimal if no delay at all between pressing and seeing the navigation, no matter how fast and how many presses. So 4 keypresses will move the cursor instantly after every press.

However, there is a disadvantage with bluetooth (at least on Odroid C2): Bluetooth control is not possible directly after boot. You have to wait round about 10s before the remotes presses are recognized. I guess it is a matter of initialization of Bluetooth service or so. I don't know how or if (at all) it is possible to shorten this period. Actually it would make sense to integrate a setting like the one for network "wait for network connection on boot):
"wait for bluetooth service upon boot"
Wow! what a difference!

I just managed to setup bluetooth finally for my Harmony Smart control and the lag has dissapeared completly.

Awesome!

I will try to update a guide later.
(2017-02-07, 23:19)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! what a difference!

I just managed to setup bluetooth finally for my Harmony Smart control and the lag has dissapeared completly.

Awesome!

I will try to update a guide later.

Would love to hear it. I have Bluetooth setup. But my problem is there isn't enough key mappings.
Here is the quick guide

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2519307

But all you need to do is add manufacturer as Microsoft and device as kodi. It should have the entire keyboard mapped without any changes needed as described above.

The only thing I changed was the volume up and down buttons, to control the media center and not the TV.
(2017-02-01, 12:23)infinity85 Wrote: [ -> ]Which OS are you using?
Which kodi version are you using?
How did you program the navigation keys?

For bluetooth you should try the following Harmony profile:

Manufacturer: Microsoft
Device Model...: KODI

This is working kind of perfectly on LibreELEC with Raspberrys etc. All the buttons should work out of the box then. I don't know whether this is the same case for your OS, but I guess it will be.

Afterwards: If you feel the need to customize the kodi button further, then you can map the keys with this addon (in official Kodi repository):
Keymap Editor Addon

How did you setup the connection for Harmony Hub? My is connecting as a Harmony Keaybord and disconnects after 1 second. Nothing is working in this case.
Yeah... it's a bit tricky for the first time.

You need to do the initial pairing with the Android/iOS Harmony App.

1. Start the Activity, which contains your LibreELEC device (Profile: Microsoft KODI)
2. The navigation controls appear on you smartphone display. Simply press cursor left or right or so...
3. The harmony app will notice that it isn't paired yet (perhaps it will timeout first) and then it will ask for pairing.
4. Click pair in Harmony App
5. On your LibreELEC/Kodi Device, you need to navigate (lets say with the App Kodi Remote: Yatse) to LibreELEC Configuration --> Services --> Enable Bluetooth and then navigate in LibreELEC Configuration to Bluetooth and pair the now steadily appearing Harmony Keyboard.
6. Press "Connect and Trust"
7. Switch back to your Harmony Android/iOS app, which now will show successful pairing.
8. Now you will be able to use it.

Keep in mind, that after every boot of your LibreELEC device, it will take about 20s after the first button-press to have a connection. Not sure this is because of Harmony Hub or because of LibreELEC, which might take long to initialize the Bluetooth service after boot.

But I have the suspicion that it is the hub which takes long to establish the bluetooth connection.
(2017-04-11, 20:06)infinity85 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah... it's a bit tricky for the first time.

1. Start the Activity, which contains your LibreELEC device (Profile: Microsoft KODI)
2. The navigation controls appear on you smartphone display. Simply press cursor left or right or so...
3. The harmony app will notice that it isn't paired yet (perhaps it will timeout first) and then it will ask for pairing.
5. On your LibreELEC/Kodi Device, you need to navigate (lets say with the App Kodi Remote: Yatse) to LibreELEC Configuration --> Services --> Enable Bluetooth and then navigate in LibreELEC Configuration to Bluetooth and pair the now steadily appearing Harmony Keyboard.
7. Switch back to your Harmony Android/iOS app, which now will show successful pairing.

Keep in mind, that after every boot of your LibreELEC device, it will take about 20s after the first button-press to have a connection. Not sure this is because of Harmony Hub or because of LibreELEC, which might take long to initialize the Bluetooth service after boot.

But I have the suspicion that it is the hub which takes long to establish the bluetooth connection.

Thanks! I have just figured out that it can't be done from the desktop app. From the mobile one it worked flawlessly asking for pairing. Now it works fine... except one thing.

In the activity shutdown commands there is a command to power off the player. I never power off my RPI. Although this command is not working as it is intended to be used with some other stuff I suppose, I'd like to remove it anyway as I like the order in my apps Smile

Do you know how to do it?
You edit in your Harmony App the "Device" (not activity), in this case Your Raspberry Pi Profile. my App is german, so I cannot tell you where to find this option. But by editing your Raspberry Profile (Microsoft KODI), you choose the third button (I guess translation isSmile "Operation Settings". There you can specify to leave it always on, or to power it off etc.
(2017-04-11, 20:37)infinity85 Wrote: [ -> ]You edit in your Harmony App the "Device" (not activity), in this case Your Raspberry Pi Profile. my App is german, so I cannot tell you where to find this option. But by editing your Raspberry Profile (Microsoft KODI), you choose the third button (I guess translation isSmile "Operation Settings". There you can specify to leave it always on, or to power it off etc.

Cool, thanks man!
(2017-04-11, 20:38)Wozik Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-11, 20:37)infinity85 Wrote: [ -> ]You edit in your Harmony App the "Device" (not activity), in this case Your Raspberry Pi Profile. my App is german, so I cannot tell you where to find this option. But by editing your Raspberry Profile (Microsoft KODI), you choose the third button (I guess translation isSmile "Operation Settings". There you can specify to leave it always on, or to power it off etc.

Cool, thanks man!
You're welcome!
(2017-04-11, 20:06)infinity85 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah... it's a bit tricky for the first time.

hey
thanks for the guide, unfortunately I'm getting:
Bluetooth error - Operation not permitted.
any idea what's going wrong here?

Here is my log output from activating bluetooth and trying to pair, looks like I'm having a general bluetooth problem..?

Code:
18:56:23.708 T:1548743584   ERROR: ## LibreELEC Addon ## bluetooth::adapter_info ## ERROR: (DBusException('The name :1.13 was not provided by any .service files',))
18:56:23.858 T:1548743584   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/chewitt/LibreELEC.80-official/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.1/LibreELEC-settings-6336f1e/.install_pkg/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.libreelec.settings/resources/lib/modules/bluetooth.py", line 150, in adapter_info
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
                                              File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
                                            DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name :1.13 was not provided by any .service files
18:56:23.859 T:1548743584   ERROR: ## LibreELEC Addon ## bluetooth::menu_connections ## ERROR: (TypeError("int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'",))
18:56:23.859 T:1548743584   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/home/chewitt/LibreELEC.80-official/build.LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.0.1/LibreELEC-settings-6336f1e/.install_pkg/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.libreelec.settings/resources/lib/modules/bluetooth.py", line 425, in menu_connections
                                            TypeError: int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'
18:56:48.039 T:1548743584   ERROR: ## LibreELEC Addon ## bluetooth::dbus_error_handler ## ERROR: (Operation not permitted)
18:56:48.039 T:1548743584   ERROR: None

I'm using the raspberry pi 3 with libreelec 8.0.1
Unfortunately I don't have a clue here :/.

Did your Harmony Smartphone App show you the "pair"-dialog upon pressing a button (e.g. cursor left) after starting the activity?
Pages: 1 2