Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved] Kodi 17.0 Network library not working on multiple android devices.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Update 2/4/2017:

I found out what was the issue but v17 still has a bug in it that I believe relates to SMB.

If you do a fresh install on an android device SMB doesn't work within kodi but work in other apps SMB works fine.

What I did to fix it was side load v16.1 on all my devices verified it worked and then updated to v17 then it worked. The reason I did a fresh install was because I had just got the Shield TV 2017 and Shield K1 and I had just flashed a new ROM to my Pixel C. When those didn't I installed v17 on my OnePlus 3 and that didn't work either. I noticed that all the devices that didn't work were fresh installs and the ones that worked were updates.

I suspect that there is a setting or file that is the same when there is an update but when it is a fresh install the bug is present.

I am using mySQL to share my library with multiple android and PCs (all PCs work fine). 4 out of 6 android devices I am unable to play any content shared with mySQL. When I select a movie or tv show kodi thinks for a while and then reports that the file is not found and asks if I want to remove it from the library. The file is there and I can access it with the file explorer on all devices and can play local content. I tried to add a source to the devices to try to bypass the SQL database and on all the devices that do not work it takes about a minute after clicking browse to get to the menu that allows you to pick the type of source (external storage, NFS, Root filesystem, UPnP, SMB) then when I select SMB it takes another minute, then select my media server and get a time out over ethernet and WiFi. I can access this server using other apps on all of these devices and I am able to play content off of the server using other apps and I am able to play local content within kodi if I copy it over to the device. I decided to trouble shoot by uninstalling v17 and sideloading v16.1 onto my Pixel C tablet, Nvidia Shield K1 Tablet and OnePlus 3 to verify that it would still work and it does.

The devices are that had v17 installed and if they worked,

Nvidia shield tv 2015 android 7.0 WiFi (works)
Nvidia shield tv 2017 android 7.0 connected with ethernet (does not work)
Nvidia shield K1 tablet android 6.0.1 (does not work) brand new kodi was first app installed
Google Pixel C tablet CM13 android 6.0.1 (does not work)
OnePlus 3 OxygenOS 4.0.2 android 7.0 (does not work)
Samsung Galaxy tab Pro 12.2 android 5.1.1 (works)

As you can see this problem spans multiple devices and multiple versions of android but works on the Shield TV with WiFi but not the one that is ethernet so it is not a Wifi problem, I am also able to access my network just fine outside of kodi so it is not a network issue. Sideloading v16.1 fixes the issue, I suspect a major bug in v17 for android involving SMB access.
For MySQL (wiki) databases, all devices must use the same major Kodi version (16.x or 17.x etc).

If a newer version accesses the database, then at that first run it will attempt to update the database to a newer version. This can take some time to do, and if it's interrupted can lead to a corrupt database. If it's allowed to finish though the devices using 17.x will use the new database and 16.x will use the older one (and the databases will operate independently in terms of things like new items added and watched statuses.

For details of the database versions (wiki) for the different Kodi versions, see the wiki link <---
It was allowed to Finish. On the slash screen it is said something like updating databases when that finished the splash screen went away and went to the kodi home screen it did take a few minutes. In my first post I mentioned that my PCs running v17 and 2 out of 6 Android devices also running v17 are working fine. All devices mentioned in my first post are running v17. Since some of my v17 devices are running fine on the v17 database I don't believe it is a database issue.

If the v17 database is corrupted how do I go about fixing it without losing the v16 database so I can then update the v16 to v17 again?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000