Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Passthrough not working - Amazon, HiMedia, AML devices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All, I'm having same problem. When "Allow Passthrough" is enabled (with "sync to display" disabled), the video is running but with no picture/audio. If I disabled "Allow Passthrough", it is working but PCM signal is sent to my receiver.

It was previously working in v16.1 but after upgraded to v17, not working anymore.

I followed all suggestions here but with no success...

Btw, mine is HiMedia Android Box....
Please post your issue stand alone in the proper thread that is not titled with [Solved] in the title if you want help.

Please read the sticky top of this thread, note Krypton requires Anrdoid 5+
same problem here. passthrough not working at all or skipping, buzzing
android 5.0.2 on adt-1
Upgraded from Jarvis to Krypton. Clean interface but now Kodi is not sending through DTS. Not sure why. But the stock Android box movie player works just fine and it even outputs Bitstream Dolby Atmos and also DTS.
This is going to be my Automated response to all Krypton Audio Passthrough problems to try and stop frustrations boiling over.

The issue is Android device Firmware that needs updating because of Kodi Krypton's implementation of....

Welcome to Android MediaCodec standards - click here
Sorry to answer on this thread. First of all I have to say thank you to all Kodi developers - this is a great project and great work is done here. Nevertheless the argumentation of wrxtasy seems a little bit weird to me. I think it should be clear to all developers here that for example amazon won't care about updating the android firmware just to make kodi work again...
The users will suffer from this decision. For me I upgraded to Krypton and now the sound doesn't work as expected. What options do I have here - I can try a downgrade and loose all my settings.I think at least an option or switch would have been great here to decide if I as a user want to use the "shitty" audio implementation. Just my two cents.
(2017-03-17, 23:35)cetama Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to answer on this thread. First of all I have to say thank you to all Kodi developers - this is a great project and great work is done here. Nevertheless the argumentation of wrxtasy seems a little bit weird to me. I think it should be clear to all developers here that for example amazon won't care about updating the android firmware just to make kodi work again...
The users will suffer from this decision. For me I upgraded to Krypton and now the sound doesn't work as expected. What options do I have here - I can try a downgrade and loose all my settings.I think at least an option or switch would have been great here to decide if I as a user want to use the "shitty" audio implementation. Just my two cents.

That's not how it works. Your beef is with Amazon, or whatever vendor jerked you, not Kodi.

The users will win in the long run thanks to Kodi's position.

And don't think for one second that the Kodi team's decision, although the only efficient and prudent option, was an easy one.

Just look at the amount of complaining, entitlement, and downright vitriol that's rained on these forums from users with devices running shoddy, non standards compliant firmware and it's obvious just what kind of 'pick your poison' scenario it's all been.

(and you shouldn't lose all your settings in your proposed scenario, you can migrate most if not all settings in most use cases)
(2017-03-17, 23:35)cetama Wrote: [ -> ]I think it should be clear to all developers here that for example Amazon won't care about updating the android firmware just to make Kodi work again...
Yes you are exactly correct.
Amazon's Hardware is sold at cost or at a loss and its primary purpose is to make money for Amazon - from Books, Apps and Video streaming services & more. They don't care about anything else.
Amazon devices should be used for Amazon Video and Android streaming Apps only - so users can make money for Amazon - with free Sideloaded Kodi Krypton usage as a now distant secondary consideration.

Quote:The users will suffer from this decision.
Yes you can join the queue of AMLogic Android Marshmallow, Android Sony TV, HiMedia Q5/Q10, Zidoo X9S and other Krypton users that now have Android Firmware that does not met the required Kodi Krypton - Mediacodec and IEC Audio standards.

Quote:For me I upgraded to Krypton and now the sound doesn't work as expected. What options do I have here - I can try a downgrade and loose all my settings.I think at least an option or switch would have been great here to decide if I as a user want to use the "shitty" audio implementation. Just my two cents.
To be frank, if it were me I would stop using Android all together for Kodi Krypton. Leave it for Android Apps only or external media player solutions. I prefer a Two box or Dual Boot Android / LibreELEC solution. I get Android Apps and a smooth implementation of LibreELEC Kodi without compromises.
Why ?

- there is no regular Kodi Android code maintainer...
- there is no regular Kodi Android code maintainer....
- there is no comprehensive pre-release Android Kodi testing compared to other Kodi OS releases.
- its why Android Kodi has now insisted on using mediacodec and IEC Audio standards across all Android Kodi devices.
- various Android Kodi Krypton A/V features are now broken if you do not have bang up to date Firmware.
- numerous and frequent, major Android OS upgrades always seriously breaks something with Android Kodi. Its the price you pay for new Android features.
- Android is an inherently unstable OS compared to say Windows, OSX or Linux/LibreELEC for Kodi.

The closest you will get to ongoing Android Kodi support now exists in the Android Kodi forks - Koying's SPMC and Davilla's MrMC releases.
Some prefer paying the Price for the most competant - All in One Box - Android Kodi solution - the nVIDIA Shield.

And one final TIP - likely the most important of the lot - the Kodi Diamond Sponsors - MINIX, WeTek and nVIDIA have a vested (special) interest in making sure Kodi runs relatively smoothly, out of the box on their devices. This has always been the case and is nothing new.