Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: FireTV Stick - IP is in another subnet from my network
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using Kodi 17 RC4 and I had the same situation in RC3.

I have a 2nd Gen FireTV Stick. In Kodi settings it reports the IP address as being in the 192.168.1.X subnet but my network is using the 192.168.0.X subnet.

Other apps use the correct IP of the Fire stick, for example ES File Explorer.

I suspect this is related to the problems I have using computer names instead of ip addresses when adding smb sources, not being able to reach the web interface of Kodi, and being unable to see the DLNA/uPNP library after setting "Share Library" in Kodi.

Oddly enough it seems to access the internet without any problems.

Any ideas why it is getting the wrong ip?
The IP is assigned by your router, so that's where I'd check first. Maybe you have a separate Wireless Access pt which is also operating as a router with a different DCHP range? That would still allow internet access but segment the stick from the rest of your LAN.
I only have one router and access point and it only hands out addresses in the 192.168.0.x subnet. We have like 10 devices in the house and none of them have ever got an address in the .1.x subnet.

I will check to see if there is anything on the fire stick itself that might be doing it but I think the only non-video based app on there is ES File Explorer.

Edited to add: I was under the impression that Kodi just used the IP of whatever device it is on. The firestick itself has an IP in the .0.x subnet like it is supposed to. Very strange.
And what ip address does android report? What address does your router say it dished out? kodi does sometimes report this address but that doesn't matter.
I see, sounds like its some sort of self IP reference address. Did you try to access using the Fire-stick IP address?
Sure it's not the infamous 192.168.49.1 address, ie wifi direct?
Oh wow,Koying, you are right. I transposed the numbers in my head.

A quick Google suggests it is just reporting the ip given to the remote control. Is that right?

Thanks for clearing that up.
I was able to reach the web interface by using the actual IP of the stick (don't know why I didn't try that before duh).

I do think it is possibly causing smb networking problems though because I can see 19.168.49.1 in my server's firewall log when I try to connect to the server's shares by name instead of ip. I'm not going to worry about that though as at least I have a way to connect.
Do you have local name resolution working in your lan? Can you for example ping your nas by name?

If you can't then you are not even past step 1 of dns.
Hi Nick,

Yes pinging by name works fine from my computer or browse the network from my phone. Even on the Fire TV stick if I open ES File Explorer on the Fire stick I can easily browse the network, seeing the Windows laptops and my Windows 2008 Server. Kodi on the stick is the only application that I have that can't browse by name. When I browse the network I see the Workgroup name but it times out when I try to drill down and see the computer names.
What are you using as your SMB server? If windows, please don't use Homegroups!!!
I think the behaviour is easy to explain (and not only related to Android only).

When a system has more than one (active) network interface, it usually also has an IP address assigned from each specific ranges to the different interfaces (eth0, wlan, ....)
As Kodi doesn't know which is the "you think is primary" to use it connects to all of them and also listens to packets coming in for the right ports (tcp, udp, ..) onall of them.
However as Kodi doesn't know which one of those is the "primary" and as it is build to show only one IP address in it's Status page, you might see a randomly an IP or the ones, where Kodi thinks it's the first in (or last or Huh) in the IP lists it has.
Well, the "primary" would be the one through which the default route passes.
But this check is historically not implemented, as 99% of the user only has one interface, and it's just info, after all...

Re servers, Kodi indeed listens on all interfaces, so the displayed IP adress is irrelevant.
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm able to do the things I need to do for now. I just connect to my Windows 2008 server using the IP address. Also, I can connect to the web interface by using the stick's IP instead of the WIFi Direct one.

I don't really need to share the library I was just messing around with it,which still isn't working. If I decide I need to I can just use my laptop. My cable box sees Kodi fine when I run it from the laptop ,so all's well.