Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Windows 10 Creators Update breaks SMB sharing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just installed the 2017 "Creators Update" to Windows 10, and all previously set up SMB directories stopped working. Kodi asks for username and password when selecting those directories. Any ideas as to what caused this and how to fix it?
That sounds more like a question for Microsoft...
No, it's a question for thousands of fellow Windows users who will experience the same issue in a matter of days or hours.
And those Windows users will be asking the question on Windows 10 support sites because it is an OS issue.

It's also not an official global release at this point, so I'm guessing that it must be part of the insiders program and will therefore be expected to come with some bugs that can be fed back to Microsoft by the available channels.
(2017-02-06, 01:55)Bluesmanuk Wrote: [ -> ]And those Windows users will be asking the question on Windows 10 support sites because it is an OS issue.

Or they could ask on Kodi forums, since the issue affects Kodi users and occurs while using Kodi. If one person knows the solution, the rest would benefit from simply reading the thread. That's kind of how forums work. I hope that's not a huge discovery for you?

Quote:It's also not an official global release at this point, so I'm guessing that it must be part of the insiders program and will therefore be expected to come with some bugs that can be fed back to Microsoft by the available channels.

It was installed via Windows Update and did not give me an opportunity to opt out. It's an official update to a retail version of Windows and has nothing to do with any insiders program.
(2017-02-06, 04:05)Knocks Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-06, 01:55)Bluesmanuk Wrote: [ -> ]And those Windows users will be asking the question on Windows 10 support sites because it is an OS issue.

Or they could ask on Kodi forums, since the issue affects Kodi users and occurs while using Kodi. If one person knows the solution, the rest would benefit from simply reading the thread. That's kind of how forums work. I hope that's not a huge discovery for you?

Quote:It's also not an official global release at this point, so I'm guessing that it must be part of the insiders program and will therefore be expected to come with some bugs that can be fed back to Microsoft by the available channels.

It was installed via Windows Update and did not give me an opportunity to opt out. It's an official update to a retail version of Windows and has nothing to do with any insiders program.

The current builds of Windows ARE Insider builds and should be considered beta software. If your computer updated automatically you might want to check your opt-in status in the Windows Update app. The Creators' Update has not been released to main branch yet--- the closest guess so far is sometime in March or April.
@snarfo, I made a mistake then. It's Build # 14393.693, not the Creators Update. Thank you for correcting that.

The issue still stands. SMB directories started asking for a username and password.
np--- build 25025 is the most recent Insider build. I'm running that on a couple computers but my HTPC is on the release build and it's connecting to my NAS (actually two older-model QNAPs) fine. Might be some other setting?
First thing to try is to ensure the Guest account is enabled. This is one possible cause of shares suddenly becoming inaccessible
There's a option in the network and sharing centre regarding passwords and smb, maybe it was reset after the update. Can't remember what it's called exactly off the top of my head, but Google will point you in the right direction.
On my installation of Windows 10 the mapped network drives works fine, in Windows. However the links to my SMB shares within Kodi 17 are broken, and re-entering the password for the network share does not fix it. My music collection that I have on a NAS with Synology DSM 5.x works, but my video collection on the other NAS with DSM 6.x is broken. It all works fine on the same machine within Kodi 16.1 so I do suspect there are som gremlins in Kodi 17 that have actually broken the SMB again. This usually happens when a new major release of Kodi is released. The same thing happened when kodi 16 was released also...

regards
ThomasAngel
I ran across a possible work around... i below the fix for clusters probably caused the issue... I've got to check my notes.. I believe it will take adjusting the script.. brb

§Glass<^>Rain§2
You got it.. jejanim... that's the one I was looking for...

§Glass<^>Rain§2
I have also same problems........ now the "Creators Update" it's been release and i have also used the SMB shared.....

On my Pi2 i have OSMC....... i have a source as:
smb://192.168.1.2/

I ever used the "username" and "password" of my "Microsoft Account" for access the smb shared files and it's ever worked also on KODI 17 before yesterday when i received, and i have installed, the "Creators Update" on my Windows 10 Desktop PC.

Today i have tryed to access and i obtain ever the ask for username and password................. how i can fix this little trouble ?
Pages: 1 2