Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: WARNING: Kodi 17.0 on old Macs is BROKEN (stay on 16.1)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you people (kodi devs and forum users) realise how bad the situation is?

Do you realise how many people around the world use an old 2009-2010 MacMini as an HTPC with Kodi?

And now fullscreen playback is broken? (choppy because of what is obviously a bug, because windowed mode is butter smooth)

This is supposed to be a "point O" final release? How did this get past beta testing?

Please just redirect Mac users to the 16.1 installer for the time being. Some people could even think it's a migration problem and delete their "user data" folder, only to eventually rollback to 16.1 and now having to setup kodi from scratch.

Seriously, it's not like it was an obscure bug, fullscreen playback is broken.
Unfortunately you don't appear to have relayed this info throughout the alpha, beta or rc development stages.

Now perhaps you could provide a debug log.
Here's the code
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc

patches welcome to fix it
I expected this kind of reaction.

Still I'm not the one who makes the call to put a broken build online live on the main download page of kodi, am I?

And yes there are threads about the issue in this very board, with logs and all.

And no not every user is supposed to follow the whole developing process from the alpha, honestly I just jumped onboard Kripton the moment I realised the final 17.0 was out, for the very reason of not incurring in major bugs.

In the end, I just wanted to put a big red flashing sign in this board to spare other users the 16->17->16 process, until the issue is dealt with.

As for what you all do (for free nonetheless), this doesn't change my appreciation and thankfullness one bit.
http://pastebin.com/JCTUe0JK

Kodi 17.0
Mac OS 10.12.3
MacBook Pro mid 2010

- Allow hardware acceleration - VTDBDecoder = on
- First played item is an MKV h264
- Playback windowed smooth
- Playback fullscreen shows lag
- Started a PVR channel H264
- Windowed smooth
- Fullscreen smooth

Thank you for investigating. Shame on smellin. Be constructive with your criticism dude. Relax.
Shame for what?
5 days in since the release and there's no big flashing warning to mac users that kodi 17.0 (not alpha, not beta, not nightly) is completely unusable on some (all? I don't have newer macs to test) macs?

Sure I could have treated "playback fullscreen" like it's just a bullet point, no big deal. Not like there were months of beta to do that.
Ever thought that the people that tested it don't have a older model to test ?
But only a newer model ?
If no one with a older model is willing to test and are willing to support full debug logs when needed then the issue can't be found or fixed

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk
(2017-02-06, 11:17)smellin Wrote: [ -> ]Shame for what?
5 days in since the release and there's no big flashing warning to mac users that kodi 17.0 (not alpha, not beta, not nightly) is completely unusable on some (all? I don't have newer macs to test) macs?

Sure I could have treated "playback fullscreen" like it's just a bullet point, no big deal. Not like there were months of beta to do that.

The time you just spent making this post you could've used to provide a log. Again, be constructive instead of just barking loud.
This thread is full of logs (from macs of all ages btw)

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=281517&page=7

I'm afraid I can no longer provide mine 'cause I'm not touching kodi 17 with a ten foot pole on macs at the moment (whereas by the way I'm super happy for kodi17 on my 2015 sony androidTV finally outputting 5.1 passthrough over toslink, kodi 16 only output pcm 2.0).

I could maybe be constructive by keeping an updated list of affected macs in the first post, if it's useful. But first, does anybody with any Mac NOT have the issue? Please chime in.

To recap the issue: with GPU hw acceleration enabled (the only option for older macs with weak CPUs), fullscreen playback of HD video files is choppy or worse slo-mo (that is the case with my Core2Duo+nvdia9400M and h.264 1080p MKVs). Whereas in windowed mode even the heaviest of h.264 movies is butter smooth because GPU acceleration is working as intended.
I don't have that problem with a macmini with intel hd 4000 nor with a hackbook (intel hd4000 too sadly). And i write the following as a individual person and not on behalf of team kodi.

@smellin
You sir can go fuck yourself. Leave my forum alone and rant somewhere else.
I'm running Kodi final on a 2010 Mac mini and it works fine. The only issue I have is video tearing which makes it problematic but that was introduced in Krypton and was never fixed. I don't know if that is an H.265 issue or what.

Whatever the case, thank you team Kodi, I love the system!
(2017-02-06, 20:15)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have that problem with a macmini with intel hd 4000 nor with a hackbook (intel hd4000 too sadly). And i write the following as a individual person and not on behalf of team kodi.

@smellin
You sir can go fuck yourself. Leave my forum alone and rant somewhere else.

I was waiting for you, the guy who here wrote "Yes." like it's no big deal

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2515031

basically stripping the difference between "beta", "rc" and "final release" of any meaning

I will happily go to "f* myself" (so mature), always remembering that day in 2017 when on the official download page of kodi there was a final release build that would break fullscreen playback. (a minor and obscure feature)

Oh well the world has bigger problems.
(2017-02-07, 01:56)skripo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running Kodi final on a 2010 Mac mini and it works fine. The only issue I have is video tearing which makes it problematic but that was introduced in Krypton and was never fixed. I don't know if that is an H.265 issue or what.

Whatever the case, thank you team Kodi, I love the system!

Thanks for your feedback

so

Kodi 17.0 - MacMini 2010 C2D nvidia320m - gpu acceleration ON - h.264 files fullscreen playback works ok?

if you confirm the above I'll count you in the "working" list.

By the way my affected 2009 Mini is on El Capitan (max supported macOS, officially).
I wonder if there's a Sierra vs ElCap pattern in the feedbacks of this and the other thread.
Yes there are bigger problems in the world. Thats why a simple "yes" sent from a smartphone might be the only thing to reply. I will always remember the day in 2011 where i wasn't involved in a userbase which contains people like you which just register in a forum just to post about something that is a hobby like it was starting a world war.

Maybe some education for your
1. a single platform out of multiple does never hold of a release if there is no idea for a bugfix
2. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27758...de-on-os-x - osx has bugs too and its not always us
3. use kodi 16.1 and hope for kodi 18. what is the problem man.
<mod hat on>

*cough* calm down guys. Any more abusive swearing and there will be consequences, I promise that. And the forum doesn't belong to any one person.
Pages: 1 2