Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best Linux distribution for Kodi+passthrough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have read here on the forums that there can be driver related problems with some dists and kernel limitations with others, so therefore i want to ask for a hint of a good dist to start with,that some of you may have tried and got to work with passthrough with Intel cpu (i3 4330), Intel hd graphics 4600 built in.

I have tried Linux in the past but as best i got PCM out of it,but with W7 i can get Dts-Hd Master, so the hardware and Avr supports it.

I would like some suggestions that should work, i know there are some guides on setups, for example with ubuntu server but i want a desktop for web browsing and spotify too, not just a pure Kodi setup.

Would very much appreciate any useful info, i would really like it if i could skip Windows...
Depends... new to Linux or experienced. Experienced, I'd recommend Arch. New, might try some Debian or Ubuntu.
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that your Haswell chip is pretty well supported these days. If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend you read the first couple posts of this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955
Thanks for replies,im not new to linux but not an expert either, and i mainly use ubuntu based dists here so maybe thats the way to go.

I did read those guides and i will try them,at first look i thought they were without desktop but i see now there is a de included so i can follow the guide.
(I also use the ht-pc for browsing and spotify)

I actually have a spare pc with exact same mb and cpu, so i can experiment on that and if it works i can just swap out the harddrive from the current ht-pc.

From the guides i read i see that im not always supposed to get a DTS feedback from my reciever,is that so ?
Libreelec is your best bet IMHO.
Thanks,however i just installed the "Intel VAAPI howto with Krypton v17 based on Ubuntu 16.04 server" way.

Havent connected to the reciever yet just did a testrun on pc monitor to see that it starts and play media.

I would like to add a DE but i will wait with that until i have tested on the reciever if audio works or not, that way i will know if the DE install broke it or not if it wont work Smile
It includes a DE, just exit kodi and you are in fluxbox.
(2017-02-07, 12:18)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]It includes a DE, just exit kodi and you are in fluxbox.

Nope, ending up at command line, i tried it earlier. (what did i do wrong)

Btw, i see that this kodi version from your ppaConfused are the "by debian" one without support for .rar files, will i break anything if i use the "normal" stable version of kodi ?
As you double post - you got your reply in the other thread. For stable kodi: You can switch to Krypton once the PPA has it.