Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Native Chromecast support on mobile app
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does Kodi have Chromecast support on Android (or iPhone) app? I mean native app support where the Chromecast icon appears when a Chromecast device is available on the LAN and you can tap that icon to stream content directly to Chromecast, and you can continue to use your mobile device for other purposes, i.e.: make phone calls etc.?
No. Chromecast is closed source code, so we can't incorporate it into our open source software as Google won't release it.

To cast your need to use a secondary app which can as an external player from Kodi.
Really? You cannot incorporate Chromecast support? Does one need to pay Google to incorporate it into their software? How does VLC do it then? Or AntenaPod? Both are open source apps.

So then how would I use VLC player on my Android device, for example, to play Kodi content and then stream it to Chromecast, since VLC supports Chromecast? I don't get it.
Okay I see how to use external player.

Nonetheless it seems to me you don't need anything special to use Google's API to build Chromecast support. https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/developers. Why do you say that it's impossible?
That only works on mobile devices from what I can see. Plus there aren't any devs interested in working on it, especially when there are other external ways to achieve it and we don't have an android maintainer at the moment.

I don't disagree it might be nice to have, but there are other things ahead of it on the list.
Plug your Kodi machine into your tv via HDMI.