Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Wsnipex still on holiday? Anyone have a PPA for Krypton?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I see he hasn't logged into the board since 20 Jan and I'm guessing that's why the stable & unstable ppa's haven't been updated.

Is he the only one that can build the packages?
Strange how 1 person is responsible for Linux ppa for the entire planet. All we can do is wait.
Anyone can setup a ppa, packaging is on github.
So does anyone have a ppa that they'd like to share then?
Best to wait anyway, let the early adopters catch any gotcha's.
Thats why I stopped donating to Kodi (I've once donated 50€ EVERY year)
Linux is threatened shabby by the kodi team...
(2017-02-08, 23:09)Pyromaniac Wrote: [ -> ]Linux is threatened shabby by the kodi team...

Oh, dear. I don't really know what to say... Linux is one of the main platforms - quite possibly *the* main platform - for Kodi. If you have any doubt, just look at Libre/OpenElec. It's feature-rich, very functional, and as good as it gets.

It seems to me that you're upset that the latest release of your free software hasn't arrived quite as quickly as you'd like, which is a little ... odd. Run an RC in the meantime, build it yourself, find another PPA - or just wait. If we'd said "it'll be out in a couple of weeks", you wouldn't be worrying... Big Grin
(2017-02-08, 23:09)Pyromaniac Wrote: [ -> ]Thats why I stopped donating to Kodi (I've once donated 50€ EVERY year)
Linux is threatened shabby by the kodi team...

Jeez, this seems like a strong reaction to our ppa maintainer going on vacation at an inopportune time. I'm actually a bit surprised. I'd always assumed almost everyone in Linux land not using one of the appliance apps just built themselves.
No in reality if you are on Ubuntu or a derivative like mint, the ppa packages are the bee's knees.

Personally I am happy to wait.
If you want very up-to-date packages, I suggest Arch Linux.
I hope this doesn't go through as in any way ungrateful for the job you guys do.

But when it comes to packaging you are surprisingly bad at being synchronized.
When there is a release of a new official version, there should be made sure that all the platforms are built and ready to download when you announce. (not beta or alpha nor nightlys)
Isn't this part of being a release manager/coordinator?

Linux rarely is. It seems like the PPA's are always at least a couple of hours late on the release. I do think wsnipex deserves to go on vacation at any time but there should be instructions to follow so that any of the people working on linux should be able to push the builds and make sure you have a coordinated release.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism as that is what it is meant as.
^^ Good Post. My sentiment is is the same. Very grateful for the work but puzzled by the this latest release "schedule".

I have never built something from source or created a ppa, but I'm willing to give it a shot. If it takes me 20 hours to learn to do this.. then so be it, I don't mind (even though I would more than likely never do anything like it again). What would make me grumpy is spending all that time just to have wnsipex return and build a proper package an hour after me Big Grin

Saying that.. If I do get it right.. maybe I can be the backup to wnsipex? Huh

PS. I have no coding skills and only have "What I've tought myself" linux skills so not sure if the un-qualifies me.
(2017-02-09, 11:12)laric Wrote: [ -> ]I hope this doesn't go through as in any way ungrateful for the job you guys do.

But when it comes to packaging you are surprisingly bad at being synchronized.
When there is a release of a new official version, there should be made sure that all the platforms are built and ready to download when you announce. (not beta or alpha nor nightlys)
Isn't this part of being a release manager/coordinator?

Linux rarely is. It seems like the PPA's are always at least a couple of hours late on the release. I do think wsnipex deserves to go on vacation at any time but there should be instructions to follow so that any of the people working on linux should be able to push the builds and make sure you have a coordinated release.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism as that is what it is meant as.

Yes. Fully right. As we are not 100 developers - we have a big issue, that even core tasks are not based on multiple shoulders anymore - not talking about platforms maintainers, coders - that are missing.
(2017-02-08, 23:09)Pyromaniac Wrote: [ -> ]Linux is threatened shabby by the kodi team...

Am I actually reading this or am I still asleep...
Pages: 1 2 3 4