Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amlogic S905 DVD playing issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a problem with playing DVD VOB on my Amlogic S905 device. It can't to detect that interlaced video has top field order instead bottom. I tried to reencode video to bottom field order and its plays correct. Also preinstalled Android players plays such as: Movieplayer, VideoPlayer and updated from PlayMarket MXPlayer detects field order correctly and plays this video perfectly. All software deinterlace methods in Kodi do not reach as hardware deinterlacing even yadifx2 in SPMC does it worse.
My Kodi version is 16.1-Jarvis. Also I tried to use Kodi 17, but after dropping Amcodec support it plays all interlaced videos worse with any deinterlace method.
Can it to be fixed in 16.1 version?
Clarification: I tried to reencode video with setting of top field order and it plays correctly. So problem is incompatibility with some encoders that uses dvd-video manufatures.
Options:

Download and use the Kodi fork - SPMC from the Play Store.
In Video Acceleration Settings select Accelerate mpeg2 - HD and Up
And then when Interlaced DVD are playing go into the OSD and from Video Settings select YADIFx2 for High Quality Full Motion deinterlacing.
Then "Save as default for all videos" down the bottom.

Regular Kodi 16.1 will not have these options

OR

Use Kodi 17.0 Krypton which defaults to "Deinterlace" aka YADIFx2 for DVD ISO or mpeg2 DVD .vob playback.

OR

Flash LibreELEC Kodi to a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class10 UHS-1 micro SDHC car and enjoy a superior version of Kodi to anything running on Android.
https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

Smile
(2017-02-09, 13:49)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Options:

Download and use the Kodi fork - SPMC from the Play Store.
In Video Acceleration Settings select Accelerate mpeg2 - HD and Up
And then when Interlaced DVD are playing go into the OSD and from Video Settings select YADIFx2 for High Quality Full Motion deinterlacing.
Then "Save as default for all videos" down the bottom.

Regular Kodi 16.1 will not have these options

OR

Use Kodi 17.0 Krypton which defaults to "Deinterlace" aka YADIFx2 for DVD ISO or mpeg2 DVD .vob playback.

OR

Flash LibreELEC Kodi to a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class10 UHS-1 micro SDHC car and enjoy a superior version of Kodi to anything running on Android.
https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html

Smile

I tried to use Kodi 17 and SPMC with yadifx2 software deinterlace and it plays worse than hardware deinterlace (dropping frames). The best option is amcodec hw support.
Have you got Kodi Refresh Switching enabled, when using Kodi Jarvis / SPMC ?

If that does not work...you source material is likely corrupted or I strongly suspect...
Your Android Firmware is absolute rubbish.

Use LibreELEC Kodi. Otherwise there is not fix possible.
(2017-02-09, 16:55)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Have you got Kodi Refresh Switching enabled, when using Kodi Jarvis / SPMC ?

If that does not work...you source material is likely corrupted or I strongly suspect...
Your Android Firmware is absolute rubbish.

Refresh Switching doesn't work. Autorefresh framerate works only with switch on hdmi-selfadaptation option in the settings of the tv-box.
I think so too, that firmware is flawed, but most of functions for hardware acceleration works good (playing 1080i50 H.264/MPEG-2, ffmpeg reencoded interlaced 576i50/480i29 VOBs to interlaced MPG or VOB files). Problems occured only with original VOB files, but not with ffmpeg reencoded VOBs or MPGs.

(2017-02-09, 16:55)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Use LibreELEC Kodi. Otherwise there is not fix possible.

AFAIK Openelec doesn't support Web-Browser, also I use some Android apps and box has internal DVB-tuner. It suitable as dual-boot solution but it is uncomfortably.

May be there is a solution to add in Kodi HW engine as in MXPlayer?
As I said Flash LibreELEC to a microSDHC card. This can be setup as dual boot Android / LibreELEC. This is the ideal solution.
You retain Android on internal Storage, it is untouched.
(2017-02-09, 21:04)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]As I said Flash LibreELEC to a microSDHC card. This can be setup as dual boot Android / LibreELEC. This is the ideal solution.
You retain Android on internal Storage, it is untouched.

I tried to start LibreELEC, but unsuccessfully.
Is there recommendations for Kodi optimizing Amlogic firmware for manufacturer of tv-boxes?
Bug your seller / manufacturer or visit the Freaktab website for Firmware. Kodi cannot help with Firmware.

I suggest you persist and ask questions in the LibreELEC thread regarding LE installation issues.
LE will give you the best AML Kodi solution.
It happened to run LibreELEC 7.0.3.012. As expected dvb-tuner doesn't works through any pvr plugins.
Problem with stuttering playing VOB files with turned on hw-acceleration was remained. So it plays good when disabled hw acceleration and selected yadif filter. SPMC also good plays videos with yadifx2 filter after some manipulations, but many addons doesn't works correctly in SPMC, may be uncompitable some libs. So I use KODI for using addons and SPMC for playing videos.