Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Utf8 problem ? [solved]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

New user, I've configured Kodi with one mariadb database on a linux machine.
My library is declared with "smb://192.168.2.13/basilette-salon/" path and works great.

Problem is : CU lrc lyrics does not find local files containing special characters (accents)
And title should be "Petite Angèle"

When finding and displaying local lyrics ( a title without accents ), accents inside lyrics are ok :

Problem disappears with local path (/basilette-salon instead of smb:// etc)
So this could be a samba utf8 problem, but files display correctly with my browser :

Of course, all my txt files containing lyrics have same syntax example : Petite Angèle.flac -> Petite Angèle.txt

Any idea ?
Thanks in advance.
Are you sure, your file list is encoded in UTF-8?

Windows doesn't necessarily use UTF-8. More common is UTF-16. And maybe your browser recognizes the correct file name encoding.

The lyircs are retrieved from the internet. So it doesn't have to do anything with the encoding of you file names.
Thanks musv,

I'm running all my kodi software on archlinux desktops.

My lyrics are text files inside each audio subfolder.
Same name as each audio file, just the extension.
Retrieving from the internet does not work with french songs.

Edit :
on a local disk with local path, same accent problems : this is not a samba problem
I use samba because files are located on another computer also running under Linux, but using a ntfs partition for my audio/video library.

Problem is limited to lyrics text files containing accents like é è ç à, etc.
PetiteAngèle.txt with PetiteAngèle.flac does not display lyrics.
PetiteAngele.txt with PetiteAngele.flac does display Lyrics

Nfs has a big disadvantage for me : if I switch off my server, then switching off my computer takes a very long time (3 minutes), because it cannot umount share folders
Apologise :

Only few titles ripped with Fairstars Cd ripper were concerned.
Do not use this ripper with Kodi !

Using media player and flc setting : no problem.
I must reencode 10 to 15 cds now !

I just uninstalled fairstars cd ripper.
I keep using samba for file sharing.

Oh, by the way, I encode with a win 10 virtualbox machine, because flac extraction under Linux is really too slow.

Problem solved.
Thank you musv for your help.