Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video playback is sometimes zoomed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just upgraded to krypton and now when I play some movies, the video is zoomed in. Other movies are fine, and the menu screens are fine too. It seems random as to which movies are zoomed in. When it is zoomed and I pause the movie, I cannot see the time duration at the bottom. I can go to the menu options while paused and change the video resolution under the system settings, and the video goes back to normal until I exit out of the menu so the only thing on the screen is the movie. That is when the screen goes black for a second and comes back zoomed in. Any ideas?
The behaviour of the zoom function can be tied to the video, setting the zoom level as normal (you can use the 'z' key to toggle the modes) Then in the video OSD you can save for all videos.
I was able to change the size of the movie so it fits on screen, but the rest of the kodi stuff is still "zoomed in" while in the movie. For example, I cannot see the OSD or the time line bar on the bottom if the movie is paused because they are still off the screen.
There is a number of screen adjustments in Kodi, in settings/system/display we have the full screen size and video calibration (this sets up Kodi for the home screen) and then while playing the video there is the screen size, aspect, zoom etc... but importantly video calibration http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Di...alibration and then there is the panel/TV adjustments for overscan and graphic card settings. Set-up for 1980x1080 pixels all round (unless your TV is 4K) and you should be alright.
I have similar problems: Use Kodi 16.1 on Xbian System on a Raspi III :

I calibrated the screen to Full HD resolution and when viewing media files with lower resolution sometimes they will be zoomed in slighty : The search bar is displayed half. So I assuem the screen is stretched slightly but I dont know how to solve this ? I enabled debugging and sicoverd that the resolution is switched from my Menu settings ( 1980 x1020 /50hz) back to 24,xx Hz same resolution while viewing a movie that has some 720px resolution. Also some streams from a Video plugin that shows Movie trailes will be zoomed.
I tried changing Menu Screen Settings to 24hz / 25 hz and calibrated every setting but that has no influence on video playback.
It seems the internal movie player has another calibration then the one I did in Kodi-Settings... !?

regards,
Mike
(2017-02-11, 05:12)dratcha Wrote: [ -> ]I just upgraded to krypton and now when I play some movies, the video is zoomed in. Other movies are fine, and the menu screens are fine too. It seems random as to which movies are zoomed in. When it is zoomed and I pause the movie, I cannot see the time duration at the bottom. I can go to the menu options while paused and change the video resolution under the system settings, and the video goes back to normal until I exit out of the menu so the only thing on the screen is the movie. That is when the screen goes black for a second and comes back zoomed in. Any ideas?
 Hello, I have the same problem, Krypton 17.5. Have you got any ideas to solve it? My bottom time bar is always enlarged, I am not able e.g. to check what is remaining time as well as I can't see the name of the movie at the top of the screen on the left side. I think that video resulution is still quite good, not zoomed, although I am not sure, the main problem is the wrong bar and other information belonging to kodi video playback, they are enlarged.
Have a look at video calibration.
No, only touch calibration as a last and desperate solution. Turn off overscan on your TV.
Ow, yes. Right.
Sure, thanks for answers. I will check it tonight and give feedback.

In advance, I have Samsung ES6800 TV, maybe do you know if there is that option available? I have heard that, after I click button "source" on remote and highlight HDMI channel which I connected my tv box to, when I click button "tools" I can pick a kind of device connected to my TV like PC, video recorder, TV-SAT, DVI DEVICE and so on. I picked PC option because I read on some TV forum that this option might let you avoid overscanning. As it turned out, it didn't.

I will dig in screen settings, I did in many times in the past and I haven't noticed any option involving overscanning but I will do it precisely again after what you said.

I wrote about that because it helps when I connect my laptop to TV and pick hdmi option "PC", but it is another hdmi channel.
I found the option "Fit to the screen", it helped. Now I have other problem, the green bottom bar on the screen. It wasn't visible before because the screen was zoomed and that bar was beyond the screen.
I set sync playback to display on and adjust display refresh rate always, unfortunately it didn't help. What to do to get rid of that green bar at the bottom of the screen?