Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to update db after (re-)tagging?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've freshly read in my source and noticed some tagging issues. I updated the tags (including new file date).
What's the best way to read in new tags then?
Update db only reads files not in db, but how to go about after updating tags? Do I need to move retagged files to new path, clean db and update or is a "touch" of files sufficient?
(2017-02-11, 22:34)Rusendusen Wrote: [ -> ]Update db only reads files not in db...
No that is incorrect.
Update library (from the side blade) checks all your music folders and files and rescans the tags from those that have changed since the last scan. It checks size and timestamp, so any tag edits will be picked up, so will any new files anywhere below the music source(s).

Consequently even just "touching" a file, changing just the date but not the metadata, will cause the tags to be rescanned on "Update Library".
Thx

So it definitely needs a "touch" or a size change for to get updated tags
That makes it sound like you think you have to do something in addition to editing the tags. How do you change the metadata in a file without changing the timestamp or size?

Files moved into a folder also get picked up.
(2017-02-12, 11:29)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]How do you change the metadata in a file without changing the timestamp or size?

Mp3tag does not change the timestamp, and as I understand it space is (or can be) reserved for tags at the beginning of an mp3 with padding so that small changes do not result in a file size change.
(2017-02-12, 14:52)graham-h Wrote: [ -> ]Mp3tag does not change the timestamp
My version of Mp3tag seems to, but that is with FLAC files so maybe I have always managed to change something that does impact the file size. Thanks for the answer, always happy to learn.

I hope to add a use facility in v18 to force rescan of tags from files that Kodi would otherwise think unchanged and so skip. The above just adds another reason for having such a feature.
(2017-02-12, 15:13)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-12, 14:52)graham-h Wrote: [ -> ]Mp3tag does not change the timestamp
My version of Mp3tag seems to, but that is with FLAC files so maybe I have always managed to change something that does impact the file size. Thanks for the answer, always happy to learn.

I hope to add a use facility in v18 to force rescan of tags from files that Kodi would otherwise think unchanged and so skip. The above just adds another reason for having such a feature.

I just changed the embedded cuesheet in a flac file with Mp3tag v2.80 and neither the timestamp nor file size changed. It would be good if the file context menu Scan Iten to Library forced a deep clean of just that folder - or does it already?
Embeded cuesheets and Mp3tag, that also may be why I have never seen an edit leave the timestamp unchanged.

In v17 (and before) you can attempt to scan any sub folder of a music source from the context menu. Kodi checks the hash it made of timestamp and size for every folder and file on that path. It only then rescans the embeded metadata if that hash value has changed since the initial scan. This is obviously to keep the library update process as efficient as possible. Clearly the previous team members thought that any tag changes would result in a change to the timestamp and or size like I did.

Currently there is no way to force the scanning of tags if this hash check has not changed. You either need to touch the file, or drop the music source and add it again.