Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Krypton Question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
Does the new Kodi Krypton still come with the usual Legal Channels built in as Jarvis did. I mean Nasa TV, Disclose TV and the like. The only problem I have is I cannot watch any of them on Jarvis because the separate YouTube add on Zip does not work meaning I cannot watch anything dependent on YouTube. It keeps coming up with the exceeded your daily limit error. I have tried out some of the many fixes listed but non of them work for me. I do not understand the getting an API thing as I have never had to do this in the past. I could use Kodi for all my own music and videos etc. but if I cannot get YouTube to work I will just carry on using Windows Media Player on Windows 10. My Windows 7 Machine already has Windows Media Centre for my TV Tuner.
Advice greatly appreciated.
Kind regards James.
No version of Kodi comes with any included media at all. So quite what you're referring to as "legal channels" I have no idea.

Free content (wiki)
Hi,
I mean that the Video Section and Radio Section have a Get More List from which you can select other channels such a Nasa TV YouTube and install them as addons. I have been using Kodi for sometime out of the box as it were and these options have always been there without resorting to having to put in websites URL's in the Source Manager which are dodgy and link up to digital streaming sites which are not legal.
Kind regards James.
Can you not install Youtube from the Kodi repository first?
The problem he's having is that the YouTube addon uses a single API key for all users, and YouTube has daily limits on how much data can be downloaded using a single key, and since the aggregate daily usage by all users of that addon often exceeds that limit, at certain times of the day you will get the notice that you have exceeded your daily limit.

You can create your own API key in Google but the process is kind of convoluted. And once you do have your own API key, the process to get the YouTube addon to use it is even more complicated. And as he notes, a lot of other video addons seem to rely on the YouTube addon.

And the worst part is that if you do get it figured out and finally get the YouTube addon to work, and then they push an upgrade, it will revert to trying to use the common key until you go through the second half of the process all over again. I haven't let the YouTube addon update in months because a new version broke my my ability to watch videos, and I was so pissed off I went to a backup and copied the old version back and then disabled automatic updating of addons. I get that there may not be any good way to handle this but I do wish all the instructions were at the very least not buried in a horrifically long thread where they are nearly impossible to find when you need them.
(2017-02-14, 18:34)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]No version of Kodi comes with any included media at all. So quite what you're referring to as "legal channels" I have no idea.

Free content (wiki)
Please. You really have no idea what he meant? The video addons that are in the Kodi repository, that aren't associated with piracy. Kodi doesn't "come with them", strictly speaking, but they aren't illegal and are in the official Kodi repo.
The add-ons in the Kodi repo are also not installed by default. You have to install them from the repo yourself.

And the YouTube instructions are all in the first posts of the thread, as with most add-on threads here.
Thanks for your help guy's. It looks like I will have to give up on Kodi unless this YouTube problem can be fixed. It's a pity because there are a lot of good addons in the Kodi Repository a lot of which unfortunately depend on the YouTube addon.
Kind regards James.
The daily limit error is easily fixed by setting up your own API keys. There are clear and simple instructions on how to do that in the first few posts of the YouTube add-on thread.

If you need help in doing that ask in the YouTube thread.
You guys remind me of a certain president sometimes - you live in your own reality. What a coder would consider "easily fixed" and what a user would consider "easily fixed" are two very different things. I didn't think Kodi was supposed to be difficult.

What you guys really ought to do is make a video of the entire procedure, so people can follow along, step by step. I will give you this, the hardest part is getting the stupid API key set up in Google, but you only need to do that once. Where the YouTube addon falls down is that it doesn't give you a way to enter that information on the settings page, or at least it didn't the last time I looked at it. Asking people to find a config file (which is in different places depending on the platform) and edit it is NOT user-friendy, even if the coders among you do consider that a dead simple procedure.

If this has been fixed and you can now enter you keys from the setting page, then please disregard the above. I've just kept using an old version, since it still works.
I'm not a coder, I'm just a Kodi user in that respect.

And the YouTube add-on isn't by Team Kodi anyway, it's made, developed and supported by other Kodi users (who are significantly better at coding than I am admittedly).
(2017-02-16, 22:33)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: [ -> ]You guys remind me of a certain president sometimes - you live in your own reality. What a coder would consider "easily fixed" and what a user would consider "easily fixed" are two very different things. I didn't think Kodi was supposed to be difficult.

What you guys really ought to do is make a video of the entire procedure, so people can follow along, step by step. I will give you this, the hardest part is getting the stupid API key set up in Google, but you only need to do that once. Where the YouTube addon falls down is that it doesn't give you a way to enter that information on the settings page, or at least it didn't the last time I looked at it. Asking people to find a config file (which is in different places depending on the platform) and edit it is NOT user-friendy, even if the coders among you do consider that a dead simple procedure.

If this has been fixed and you can now enter you keys from the setting page, then please disregard the above. I've just kept using an old version, since it still works.
If you'd rather contribute than moan, you could make that video yourself, or write it up in the wiki.

Also the YouTube addon has a place to put in your own api keys. I have 5.3.8.
Hi,
Thanks for your input. I am not a Coder and don't not really understand any of this. Will getting an API key affect my normal usage of YouTube through my Browser or my Phone app (Android.) Does it tie you into a Google contract or enable them to spy on the user more than they do already. In short are there any problems that having your own API Key would cause.
Kind regards James.
Will not affect your usage through browser or phone apps. You do have to accept the Terms of Service during the process of setting up your API keys, which will up to you. I cannot see privacy being more of a concern, if anything I'd say your anonymous usage data is made more visible to you with personal API keys than using provided keys.

In Settings - API (where you fill in your API keys in the add-on), there is also "Use preset API key set" which you can change to one of six provided keys. These keys have less quota than the default but are also less used. Changing the keys will log you out so changing them regularly is not an ideal process, which is why most would suggest using your own keys.

The process is detailed here as well as some additional information.
Pages: 1 2