Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: solution for a hard of hearing person using a wide array of video formats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I have a hearing loss and I can't turn up the volume on my TV without disturbing my neighbors. I am currently evaluating different solutions for a set top box that would be able to play a wide array of formats and also provide some sort of remote headphones capability. Roku has a remote that has a port for standard headphones, which is great but Roku is very limited as far as supported video and audio file formats are concerned. Nvidia Shield TV also has an audio out port in the remote and has Android TV which I suppose allows the user to install the Kodi app (please correct me if I am wrong). So it's exactly what I need, but a bit too expensive at $299.
So I am thinking of buying a cheaper Android TV device such as Mi Box ($69) and installing Kodi on it, but Mi Box does not have an audio out plug in the remote. So my question is: The Kodi remote app currently available in Google Play, does it stream audio back to the Android phone via either WiFi or Bluetooth? If so, then I can plug my headphones in my phone and hear the sound from the TV box.
Does anyone have any better ideas? For example would a Raspberry Pi be better than the Mi Box? I am fairly good at technology, I've been using Linux both at work and at home for more than 10 years, so I am not afraid of complex setups as long as they are easy to use after the setup is done (so that my wife can use the solution too).

Thank you in advance,

Corneliu
I have wireless headphones. The transmitter/charger part plugs into the tv and the headphones are wireless. Have you looked at those? You wouldn't need an audio out on the remote, just on the box. The ones I have now are quite expensive, but I used to have a cheap set from an electronics store and they worked just as well.
A pair of wireless bluetooth headphones would work fine paired with a tv box for this use.
Thank you both for answering. In the end I bought the Nvidia Shield TV Pro, so I have the audio jack in the remote, and my son can play games on it as well. I hope I won't regret it.

Cheers,

Corneliu