Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cover art duplicated for different songs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I have a strange problem in my music library - Most of the songs are OK, but there are a few that show the same cover art for no apparent reason.
*All the songs are in separate folders, with different artist names and different song names.
*All the songs are correctly tagged.
*All the songs have folder.jpg in their folder, or embedded in the mp3 file itself.

**Changing folder.jpg for one song (embedded or not), changes the cover art for all of these songs.

I have tried re-tagging, replacing folder.jpg, embedding or extracting, cleaning and re-scanning the music library and even making a clean new Kodi installation. Nothing works.

I suspect it's a database generation thing, but I don't want to speak prematurely.

Any help regarding this will be very appreciated.
Initially I have to admit I really don't know. It seems that some users are getting some so far inexplicable art glitches recently. It sounds like you have tried most of the fixes I would have suggested.

Perhaps it is a thumbnail cache issue? Try deleting both Thumbnails13.db and the folders in the thumbnail folder. Restarting Kodi will receate these as it needs.

Any NFO files involved?

Quote:I suspect it's a database generation thing, but I don't want to speak prematurely.

Not sure what you mean by that, but I would like to get to the bottom of these image clitches if we can.
Hello Dave and thanks,

Deleting the thumbnails folder didn't solve it. As for Thumbnails13.db - I seem to be unable to locate that file - I searched the entire Kodi directory for that (I'm using Kodi from the Windows store, by the way).

By database generation I meant whatever file Kodi creates to know what's where. Maybe some .db file. As you can see, I'm no developer, but I'll gladly help as much as possible.

Edit: There are no nfo files involved in my music folder.
I don't believe that Kodi can grab the artwork from an embedded music file. So it is only going to read the folder.jpg file in your music folder.

So you can have a folder.jpg under the Artist.
A different folder.jpg under that same Artists Albums (different for each album).

I've found that if you have an Artist (or Album) without said folder.jpg (and it must be jpg, using jpeg, or png, or bmp wont work), Kodi will randomly (at least the first time) grab another piece of artwork (usually from another Artist), and use that for every Artists (or Album) that doesn't have any folder.jpg. Once this is done, that image is cached, and getting rid of it is a pain.

I used to recommend MediaElch for all your Music Artwork needs, but the current version is broken (most of the websites scrapped changed their codes or something), so will have to wait for a newer version of MediaElch to be released that fixes this issue.
(2017-02-16, 19:20)KitFox Wrote: [ -> ]Deleting the thumbnails folder didn't solve it. As for Thumbnails13.db - I seem to be unable to locate that file - I searched the entire Kodi directory for that (I'm using Kodi from the Windows store, by the way).

By database generation I meant whatever file Kodi creates to know what's where. Maybe some .db file. As you can see, I'm no developer, but I'll gladly help as much as possible.
So sorry dyslexia got me this morning, Textures13.db is that database. Should be in userdata/database. Delete textures13.db and all the folders under the Thumbnail folder.

(2017-02-16, 19:39)Powerhouse Wrote: [ -> ]I don't believe that Kodi can grab the artwork from an embedded music file.
Of course it can. The issue here is cover art, and that can be embeded in the song files for most tag formats.But Kodi will only take one image (front cover).

But of course you can provide art for an album via folder.jpg. All else you said @Powerhouse is true, although I have not found a need for MediaElch with correctly tagged music, but maybe I am just not that into fanart etc.
Are you sure it can capture embedded cover art? Really sureHuh

I say that because all my music is tagged with Picard, and I have Artwork in every folder. Yet when Kodi is grabbing Featured artists, and placing them in the Artists view, there is no artwork for the Artist (of course I wouldn't expect that), but as you drill in to see what song this Artist has, there is no Album Cover art, nor any artwork when you click on any of the Music listed under this Featured Artists.

So why isn't it pulling the Artwork from the embedded cover art?
(2017-02-16, 20:17)Powerhouse Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure it can capture embedded cover art? Really sureHuh
Yeap - cover art, not artist art etc. but a single images embedded in the tagsin the right way (as a front cover)

Quote:I say that because all my music is tagged with Picard, and I have Artwork in every folder. Yet when Kodi is grabbing Featured artists, and placing them in the Artists view, there is no artwork for the Artist (of course I wouldn't expect that), but as you drill in to see what song this Artist has, there is no Album Cover art, nor any artwork when you click on any of the Music listed under this Featured Artists.

So why isn't it pulling the Artwork from the embedded cover art?
Sometimes the embedded art takes a little while to load first time, but I see art for all songs no matter how I approach them and I don't have any folder.jpg files. But if it finds art for the album in a folder.jpg it will use that instead.

If you are not seeing embedded art then it could be how they are embedded in the tags.
All mine were embedded with Picard (I made not changes to Picard), so I would guess that they are embedded correctly (or is there a change in Picard I need to make)?

Granted I did not wait to long to verify if an image came up or not, so I will test this tonight and report back.

Thanks Dave for the heads up.
@DaveBlake - I deleted both Textures13.db and the Thumbnails folder, still, this problem persists.

@Powerhouse - Well, in my installation, Kodi has no problem of grabbing embedded art.

However, there might be a small lead here, I noticed that a lot (if not all) of the problematic songs, are songs with the cover art added this way or another. Or changed by this way or the other by 3rd party tagging software or by myself. The tagging though, is correct. Removing the cover art with a 3rd party software didn't change anything.

Why exactly in these specific songs and not in others which also have coverart added (embedded or not)? I don't know.
Update: I've just noticed that in these specific problematic songs, a 3rd party's spinning disc and a cover art, are placed over the song's cover and disc art.

So, this actually just might be a skin problem. Therefore, for the moment I'm going to drop this issue.
Update: I noticed that it isn't a skin problem, because Kodi displayed the incorrect album details.

So, using a 3rd party software, I:

A. Removed all tags from the problematic songs, including artwork.
B. Saved the files.
C. Rewrote the tags and re-added cover art.
D. Saved the files again.

Tried this on several files\songs, it worked. I consider this problem solved.