Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OSMC announced new Vero4k, opinions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Hi all,

I'm struggling with the decision to buy or not the Vero 4K box.

I need a box that has be interfaced with my AVR and Samsung 4K TV. It should be able to read the BDMV folders (4K at 60Hz) flawlessly (from NAS and external USB HDD) and pass-through all HD audio sources to the AVR.
Based on the promises on the Vero 4K page, it seems that it does all these things. The problem is that I was not able to find any good review which confirmed the promises.
Also the HW characteristics make me wonder, because they are very similar to my M8S pro box which I'm not happy with (I have the LibreElec installed natively and it doesn't pass-through the HD audio and it also has many problems reading the BDMV rips).
I'm also debating to buy the NUC6CAYH, but I read that there are still problems with the HD pass-through in LibreElec (I'm allergic to Windows! So, there is no way that I will install it on the NUC).

What would you recommend?
Thanks.
Does this device actually output 4K to my receiver/TV or does it just decode it and output at 1080P?
(2017-09-03, 16:15)Tyler Durden Wrote: [ -> ]Does this device actually output 4K to my receiver/TV or does it just decode it and output at 1080P?

It decodes AND outputs 2160/60p aka 4K.
Can someone here quickly confirm that on OSMC (Kodi 17.x) hardware decoded deinterlacing is working properly for 1080i h264 channels @25fps.
Hi chaps,

I understand the concerns about a lack of reviews. I've been sending some devices out for review. If you think there are any sites that would be willing to review the device and you value their opinion, feel free to let me know.

HTPCBeginner recently did a review of the Vero 4K: https://www.htpcbeginner.com/osmc-vero-4k-review/.

I expect another site to do a review soon as well.

We've had some forum reviews too:

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/out-of-box-e...ence/38351
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/vero-4k-revi...poll/23328
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/vero4k-review/23395/
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/vero-4k-firs...ions/23251
https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/feedback-on-...week/38409

We will also add support for reviews to our Store in the future (currently a limitation on our website); but I can understand that more independent ones will be more sought after.

Sam
(2017-09-03, 22:01)Vlaves Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone here quickly confirm that on OSMC (Kodi 17.x) hardware decoded deinterlacing is working properly for 1080i h264 channels @25fps.

I don't anticipate any problems with these clips.
Deinterlacing is working as expected in hardware. As always, for the best playback experience, make sure you are on the latest version of OSMC.

Sam
(2017-09-03, 22:01)Vlaves Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone here quickly confirm that on OSMC (Kodi 17.x) hardware decoded deinterlacing is working properly for 1080i h264 channels @25fps.

1080i25 and 576i25 deinterlacing is working fine on both my ODroid C2 and my S905 based Minix box (both running LibreElec) - with both p25 and i25 native sourced content from Live/Recorded TV and DVD/Blu-ray (including 1080i25 Blu-rays with i25 native content at pretty high bitrates). I'd not expect the Vero S905X to be radically different.
Just ordered my Vero 4k, really looking forward to it. I am currently using a shield tv and quite unhappy with it... and since I only - or at least mostly - use Kodi, the additional perks that come with Android are only a bonus.

I like the work you put into the community here and that was the reason I'll give it a try.
For all who still consider whether the Vero 4K is suitable, here is my personal opinion as a user from Germany.
(I do not have a 4K yet!) My setup: HD Panasonic Plasma TV TX-P50VT20E, Yamaha RX-V3067 AV Receiver with 7.1 speaker Setup)
My Raspberry Pi 3 can not play H265 video smoothly. So I read a lot here and bought the Vero 4K a few months ago and am thrilled! Unpack, connect, work!
The Vero 4K runs with all my media. (very much ALAC music and movies with different formats, also H265 from aUSB HD) And I had never problems.
No matter what question emerges, Sam responds quickly and reliably or has already answered them in the OSMC forum. I am pleased about the regular monthly updates.
This was also the most important reason why I bought the Vero 4K.
I think Sam is incredibly good at what he is doing and so is the box.
Great!
The price is absolutely justified! Finally, it can also contain more than, e.g. the android Amazon Box! If I upgrade to 4K I have a box which can also and - will be better month by month.
(This is my first post here. Sorry for my english.)
(2017-09-05, 15:17)Nickelig Wrote: [ -> ]Just ordered my Vero 4k, really looking forward to it. I am currently using a shield tv and quite unhappy with it... and since I only - or at least mostly - use Kodi, the additional perks that come with Android are only a bonus.

I like the work you put into the community here and that was the reason I'll give it a try.

Shipped! Your tracking # is in the mail

(2017-09-06, 02:09)Unifier Wrote: [ -> ]For all who still consider whether the Vero 4K is suitable, here is my personal opinion as a user from Germany.
(I do not have a 4K yet!) My setup: HD Panasonic Plasma TV TX-P50VT20E, Yamaha RX-V3067 AV Receiver with 7.1 speaker Setup)
My Raspberry Pi 3 can not play H265 video smoothly. So I read a lot here and bought the Vero 4K a few months ago and am thrilled! Unpack, connect, work!
The Vero 4K runs with all my media. (very much ALAC music and movies with different formats, also H265 from aUSB HD) And I had never problems.
No matter what question emerges, Sam responds quickly and reliably or has already answered them in the OSMC forum. I am pleased about the regular monthly updates.
This was also the most important reason why I bought the Vero 4K.
I think Sam is incredibly good at what he is doing and so is the box.
Great!
The price is absolutely justified! Finally, it can also contain more than, e.g. the android Amazon Box! If I upgrade to 4K I have a box which can also and - will be better month by month.
(This is my first post here. Sorry for my english.)

Thank you very much. Your comments encourage me and the rest of the OSMC team to keep moving forward.

OSMC is really taking off right now, but with all open source projects, it's not often you hear from a user unless they encounter a problem. That's not a negative per se, but rather a simple fact of human nature.

I am glad you are enjoying the Vero 4K and it's working well for you. In the unlikely event that you do run in to problems in the future, you know where to find me.

Cheers

Sam
Is there any news on having android in this box?
Yes -- I'm working on it and plan to have something available for testing soon.

When that's the case I'll put a test thread up on our forum.

Sam
Hello. What about usb dvb tuners support. Will be possible to use that kind hardware with vero 4k and installed tvheadend?
Regards
TVHeadend can be installed via My OSMC -> App Store, in the same way it can be installed on
any other OSMC device.

The Vero 4K uses a 64-bit kernel with a 32-bit userland. As a result, there's currently an issue with some tuners and some ioctl
compatibility patches are needed, but we expect to have this resolved shortly. Some users have been using Sundtek tuners
without issues; mainly as these device's don't rely on V4L2 to function (they are userspace driven).

Sam
Just received my Vero 4K and so far very happy with it (will return with a review shortly). Question, how do I know if the hardware deinterlacing is working as intended on a clip? The software options are greyed out for obvious reasons I assume and it says off on deinterlace.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29