Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Decoding continues for a few frames after pausing a video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there,

here's a problem I have been noticing for quite some time now and which I would like to bring up:

After pausing a video the decoding goes on for a few frames. You can tell by the picture moving on a bit (depending on the on screen motion of course) although no sound is being played. As a result the playback resumes at a later point compared to where it has been paused in the first place. That can be really annoying when being forced to pause during a dialogue scene as it requires to jump back to avoid missing part of the dialogue.

Can anyone confirm this kind of behaviour?? The problem persists after changing from ION1 to Apollo Lake hardware and from Kodi 17.0 to 18.0 (both running on LibreELEC). Kodi 16.0 (running on OpenELEC) didn't show this kind of behaviour IIRC, but I'm not really sure ...

Here are the specs of my current setup:

Hardware: ASRock J3455-ITX controlled via Logitech diNovo Edge

The latest change in #0221 (Search backwards for keyframe when resuming playback PR:11713) does not change the described behaviour as it only seems to apply to fully stopped and then resumed playback.

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.
Sooo, no logs no issue I guess? Hasn't anyone else witnessed this behaviour?

I should add that there is a short but noticeable delay between the video being paused and the decoding then going on for a few frames. Really strange, I would be surprised noone else might have noticed. Will work on logs when there will be time.
there are always a few frames already bufferd up for decoding and display and there is always a little bit on input lag from detecting the keypress to stopping the player.
(2017-02-28, 17:43)kekomat Wrote: [ -> ]Sooo, no logs no issue I guess? Hasn't anyone else witnessed this behaviour?

I should add that there is a short but noticeable delay between the video being paused and the decoding then going on for a few frames. Really strange, I would be surprised noone else might have noticed. Will work on logs when there will be time.

Works as intended.
Thanks guys for clearing things up. I would prefer a "sharper", more direct behaviour that doesn't let you miss content (admittedly just tiny bits of it) but I guess the current solution is something I can live with.
Tried SW decoding?
Nope, not yet. Do you expect it tp provide different results? Just asking because I don't consider it being an every day solution.
Maybe your TV has that little bit of input lag, that together with the few frames that are always buffered up, makes it's this barely noticeable?