Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can you make custom Keymaps that goes with your skin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey, i am new at skinning in kodi, but i wonder if it is possible to put a custom keymap in a keyboard.xml or like inside the skin, so people don't need to download both the skin and the keymap and know where to place it.

Thanks in advance
I thought to begin with I would need a key map.... but as you start skinning yo will realize that you can get everything done with buttons and the already available key layout...

plus everyone is already used to the way the Kodi works now do you really want to change it and then someone will have to learn it?
Add-ons that change keymaps are not allowed.
(2017-03-01, 06:24)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Add-ons that change keymaps are not allowed.
Isn't that just in the official repo?
There is an addon to edit keymap.xml in kodi repo, 'Keymap Editor'.
You could maybe ask dev if there is a way to incorporate a keyscript for it to run on users permission.
(2017-02-28, 09:39)smitchell6879 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought to begin with I would need a key map.... but as you start skinning yo will realize that you can get everything done with buttons and the already available key layout...

Suppose I wanted to make the mouse wheel roll the Guide up and down, instead of the current behaviour (left to right). I know that's easy with a custom keymap, but how would I do that in the skin?
I would need to see the code for the guide I have a idea but it depends how the guide is layed out.
It's just the standard guide code from Estuary. (I've made other changes for my Mousetuary skin but the guide is unchanged so far)

Another idea I will try to implement is a set of up/down/left/right mouse-hover buttons, in the style of WMC. They could easily be done in the skin. In other places, Kodi skins often auto-scroll lists when the mouse is hovered near the top or bottom, so the guide could be made to do that too.
yeah if your going to use the mouse just add a overlay button on focus control move ..... I will have to look into the skin and look at the code before I can recommend anything else.
I think you can add an additional xml-file in the keymaps folder that installs with the skin.

All xxxx.xml files in that folder get loaded.
Is there a canonical way to install this sort of thing? At present, new skins get sideloaded by just copying/unzipping one directory into the addons directory and enabling it in Kodi. Would it be OK for the skin to do a copy-on-first-use to the userdata/keymaps directory? Or is it better to explicitly require the user to copy it as a separate step?
It is not acceptable for add-ons to change keymaps as I understand the rules.
Do you have a link for this in the wiki? I can't find any mention of this restriction (notably at http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on_Rules).

EDIT: oh wait, I just saw this:
"add-ons should store all their data in their own subfolder inside the addon_data directory. Access (read/write/delete) to any other files / folders is not allowed by default. "

I guess that's clear. I will include a keymap.xml someplace with a suggestion to users to optionally use it, but the code will not reference it.
(2017-05-11, 00:47)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]It is not acceptable for add-ons to change keymaps as I understand the rules.
Isn't that for addons in the official repo?

Edit:
Looking up you seem to have posted the same thing 2 months ago, and I asked the same question then. There are certainly addons here (ie in this forum) that change keymaps.
E.g. "SF" is adding a separate keymap xml file for adding a quick launch "G" key.

Edit: it seems naming add-ons is not appreciated, I changed my previous message a bit.
Pages: 1 2