Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best cheap kodi box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What do you recomend for a cheap small kodi box with ir. I was thinking of buying a raspberry pi3 but it does not have built in ir, and adding ir does not look very sleek.
An android box looks sleek but you have to install kodi on top of their os and it makes it slow to boot (in the videos I´ve watched).

I have a intel nuc in my main room but it´s a little expensive, looking for something cheaper that can support openelec and ir
Why IR ?
A Raspberry pi can use CEC what most tv's support.
The functions are limited but enough for watching a movie or tv show

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk
Is CEC an addon hardware or build in?, I would like to be able to use my harmony remote.
What about an apple tv version 2, it can support kodi, I don´t know if functions are limited though...
I use also a raspberry and use my tv remote via cec

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
The CEC is build in,
Even my old Sony tv from 2009 supports it.

Apple products are limited by default [WINKING FACE]
Don't even know if the v2 is still supported.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk
I use a generic s905 box, like the m8s and load librelec on it.
Choose this cause it squeeses more umpf than a pi. Usually got ir and cec buildin
Thread moved to hardware.

Look in the sticky threads at the top of this section.
(2017-03-07, 12:19)Challe77 Wrote: [ -> ]What about an apple tv version 2, it can support kodi, I don´t know if functions are limited though...

I came across my old Apple TV 2 yesterday in a box of junk. Development stopped a couple of years ago and it was buggy. Hardware was too limited to support later xbmc/Kodi versions. Really, don't bother.
I second the s905 or s905x box recommendation. They might start life as Android boxes but you can install a community build of LibreElec and make Android disappear. You get everything you need to make it work (apart from a microSD card) and they are very capable machines.
DWOOLUF - Do you mean I can completely remove the android os, and install libreelec so it boots directly to that?
Yes... or if you want to keep Android, you can boot from mSD card. See this thread, or try LE AMLogic forum directly.
Is there any guide if I just want kodi as the root os?
Wrote this quick guide a while back, so just make sure you download whatever files are latest. Also, Kodi 17 build is now as good as Kodi 16 was when I wrote it (at the time there was no 23.976 for v17; now there is), so you can install whichever you prefer.