Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Displaying wrong IP address. Only have 1 adapter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not exactly sure what happened here. I have my HTPC manually assigned an IP address via my Google OnHub router to 192.168.68.101 for whatever reason Kodi is showing an entirely different IP address in the "settings" screen. I haven no idea where it's pulling this info from.

I've done a CMD prompt to verify my HTPC IP address and it does return the static IP address I've assigned. My KORE Remote won't connect any longer nor will my Smart Things remote. In fact, neither of those apps will find my Kodi install any longer. I've reset the apps to default and the Kodi settings to it's defaults as well.

I only have one Netgear USB 3 WiFi adapter. I've disabled the Ethernet adapter in the BIOS of the machine.
What address is shown?
Odd. I do not have an "Ethernet" adapter even in my device manager. Yet this shows up:

Quote:Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : local
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a084:e33b:4e55:8478%14
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d54e:c20a:2bbd:68b2%12
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1

Kodi is displaying the 192.168.200.2 IP. Where the heck is this "Ethernet" coming from? Maybe my ceton cablecard?
Yes pretty sure ceton will have an address. Your os should still use the default route.
Also you can use netstat to see if kodi is listening on the right address.
(2017-03-12, 02:07)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Also you can use netstat to see if kodi is listening on the right address.

Ok that's a bit above my knowledge. I've typed in 'netstat' in the CMD admin prompt and it's just returning a bunch of information that I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at.....

I've done a ipconfig /all and Kodi is definitely picking up the Ceton tuner as its IP address:

Quote:Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Ceton InfiniTV Network Device
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-2C-FF-FF-FF
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a084:e33b:4e55:8478%14(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.200.2(Preferred)
Quick question are you using Windows 10?
(2017-03-12, 17:29)Mnementh Wrote: [ -> ]Quick question are you using Windows 10?

Yes. Had to upgrade to 10 so I could get HEVC 10Bit H/W decoding
Ok try this:

1. Press Windows Key + x then click on Network Connections
2. Right click the desired connection the Wifi in your case
3. Click Properties then double click Internet Protocol Version 4
4. Click Advanced
5. Uncheck 'Automatic Metric'
6. Enter 10 in 'Interface Metric'
7. Click OK

Repeat for the Lower Priority Connection (Ethernet in your case) , but this time put 20 into the 'Interface Metric'

You should now use the higher priority connection as a default.
I'll give that a shot. Currently in Paris on business. When I get back I'll try it
No worries, I'm interested to know if it works so please make sure you come back to let us know Smile
(2017-03-13, 20:14)Mnementh Wrote: [ -> ]No worries, I'm interested to know if it works so please make sure you come back to let us know Smile

Just tried it. Rebooted as well. Kodi is still picking up the Ceton IP as it's IP address and not using the WiFi Static IP Address.
Hmmm I've looked into it a bit further, seems Microsoft in their wisdom have deprecated this method of adjusting the metrics, it appears that no matter what you put in there it's now ignored. <sarcasm> Well done Microsoft is about all you can say... </sarcasm>

You have to edit it with powershell now using the Set-NetIPInterface cmdlet. I'll try and get my head around it tomorrow but it's too late right now I'm tired and it's not sinking in sorry. If you want to have a look at trying it yourself have a look here https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/powe...pinterface
@Mnementh Well, I just took a look at the link you sent me. I'm not sure but is any of that website in actual English? LoL It all looked "Greek" to me.

I think I will wait for the Mnementh to Usafle (idiot) translation from you whenever you get a chance.

FYI; I am in the process of switching out the Ceton CableCard for a HD HomeRun. If you think the issue will go away once I swap devices and we wont need to worry about this, then that's fine too. No sense in doing all this work for something that's going to "correct" itself once I get around to the swap....
Was curious about this so did some playing around. It looks like you can start the powershell (enter this in search). First execute
Code:
Get-NetIPInterface -AddressFamily IPv4

That will get you some interesting info on your setup. I guess what you need is the index for the Wifi and Ethernet interfaces. Then you can run commands
Code:
Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex 12  -InterfaceMetric 10
Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceIndex 1  -InterfaceMetric 20
Using the index you find in the first command for Wifi and Ethernet, instead of "12" and "1".

You should be able to re-run the Get-NetIPInterface command above and see the results.

But probably best to wait for Mnementh to confirm (at least before you run the "set" command).

scott s.
Pages: 1 2