Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't add new SMB for Win10 laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Initially I configured the homegroup network with my old laptop (Windows 7) and shared several maps with the Raspberry Pi which is running Kodi. It all worked nicely. I had no login information on this laptop so I had to use the default xbmc/xbmc login credentials to get it to connect to the map.

Now I have recently bought a new laptop which has Win10 installed. I had it join the homegroup network and shared a folder. I adjusted the general advanced sharing so it would be visible for everyone.

However, what happens now is that whenever my old laptop is turned on, I can select it while trying to create a new SMB share on KODI. I can view its shared folders etc etc.
I can also see my new laptop in the list, however it asks login credentials and whichever I use, it doesn't work. (xbmc/xbmc doesn't work. I tried my Microsoft account login credentials but failed as well. I have new set my laptop to not need login credentials to login but nothing works).

The weird thing is, whenever I put my old laptop in sleep modus (or off), both that laptop and my new laptop are out of the list.. So somehow they are connected? Why doesn't my new one stay in the list when it's up and running?

Also, any idea on how to get it to connect? It keeps returning to the login screen..Before it kept saying something like 'Connection refused'

I'd be grateful forever!

Thanks.
What OS is on the RPi? Kodi is NOT an operating system.
Sorry, OSMC.
I eventually fixed it with some guidance on the IRC channel.

The option 'Turn on password protected sharing' was checked. So I checked the 'Turn off password protected sharing' and it simply worked with xbmc/xbmc user/pw.
Try this...

In your windows computers go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

Expand All Networks

Under Password Protected Sharing, select Turn Off Password Protected Sharing

Hope that helps... Also I always had trouble with shares in Win 7. The shares would all just drop off at random, passwords would re-activate at random. Since upgrading all my machines to Win10, it has all been rock steady. In light of my previous problems, it is possible that your mix of Win7 and Win10 may cause random issues.

----edit----
oops, didn't see the last post where you found the fix.
And Homegroup is just a bad idea. I have found it of absolutely no use, especially if you are trying to share between different OSs.

A couple of my machines will suddenly change the password protected sharing on for themselves. It is really strange when one day suddenly the network explorer can't see the machine it is on but can see the other machines, or vice versa.
Yeah I think I read in some wiki when I 1st started using Kodi to make sure that homegroup is NOT setup on the PCs at all. But then I have never used it and my Kodi works great with a NAS (Cheap Shuttle KD20 and a WD MyBookLive) and MySql on about 5 installs with Win 10 and Androids...just lucky I guess.