Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is this a known bug? Kodi dont play a movie it does not recognize
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello follow Kodi users,

I have had this annoying bug (or atleast i think its one but correct me if wrong) for a while but i did not know what caused it and i never dig into it but now i really wanted to watch this new movie and it just did not show up in Kodi.
I am/was using Kodi 16.1 but saw that there is a new version 17 in Windows store so i downloaded that now.
I tested first in 16.1 which had the issue and then moved to version 17 and had the same problem.

The problem:
I believe when Kodi in not able to find movie information it refuses to play the movie in question. The movie i tested on was "Breaking Bad The Movie 2017".
First i noticed it does not show in Movies section, so i went into the folder from within Kodi and into the folder where the movie was and i could see the thumbnail and when i clicked on it i think it tries to fetch the information and then it shows me the pop up window where it wants me to enter the movie name (already filled in with Breaking.Bad.The.Movie.2017....".
Here i press done and then it shows me "locally stored information found. Ignore and refresh from internet?"
I tried both Yes and No but not matter i do i end up with the same pop up windows.

So the way i made it work was to just type breaking bad which result in a few hits and select one of them. Then it can suddenly play the movie.

I'm guessing i should be able to play any movie without having the exact movie information but somehow Kodi is unable to do that right now. Maybe i'm doing something wrong but i cant see what it is. Tried to search the forum but didnt find anything similar.
Can someone please help me figure out if this is a bug or something i can change somewhere.

The movie in question is a mkv file so nothing strange. Its playable like i mention if i trick Kodi to select some other film.

Cheers.
The Breaking Bad - Movie (2017) Fan Cut, is the listing in some databases, The IMdb doesn't list it, and it's likely very unofficial. So if you can't get it into your library you might have to switch scrapers or use a split scraper like the universal scraper. Alternatively you could write your own .nfo in cases where you can not find the listing, but at this point it would be gracious on your part to join one of the databases and enter a new information video so that others can benefit by your addition and it's actually easier to do that then make your own .nfo https://www.themoviedb.org/search/movie?...anguage=en

Of course choosing an incorrect listing will get it into your library as an incorrect listing and trick Kodi to get it to play. Using 'file mode' will show all your videos as long as your source is specified and are all playable at the level directly.
Thanks for the tips, i can help with themoviedb next time if i come across another title. Its listed there now atleast.

But the problem still remains, i did use the filelist and browse to the movie and it still wont play it.
Videos-->Files-->go to folder and click on the file
Doing this only give me the pop-up window.

There is also "File Manager" under Settings. This seems to work without pop-up window. Not entirely sure about the differences but its more intuitive to be able to browse for a movie going through Videos.
Not sure what skin your are using...but let's assume default 'Estuary', follow these steps.

1) from the home page, choose 'videos'

2) In videos, choose files. (not movies)

3) in files choose a source.

4) in source of files, drill down to a video, select it.

5) Question: At this point the video plays or brings the pop-up?

A proper debug log would go a long way to demystifying these issues.
I actually had another issue with Kodi (posted another thread) so i ended up removing the universal app and installed the nighly build and now it works from videos->files

Thanks for the help.